Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bombed the test - 450, time to reboot. Next steps?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Bombed the test - 450, time to reboot. Next steps? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 14:19
I feel pretty awful right now.

I wrote the exam earlier today after studying for 3 months. Math was 29, Verbal was 20. During my practice exams I was all over from 450- 630, I thought I'd be able to get +600 on this try...boy did I get rocked! I 'm a native speaker and was shocked at my verbal score. I work in investment banking and passed the CFA Level 1 Exam this past Dec and want to get my MBA.

I didn't use any of the major providers listed on this site. I used a program called MBAHouse here in NYC. The structure was: attend a lecture on a subject, do the OG HW problem they assigned, and then meet 1 on 1 to discuss mistakes w a tutor. I really liked it for the tutoring but the course material/strategies could have been stronger. For example during my review of the past month I used Powerscore CR that a friend gave me and was surprised to see concepts that were never covered in my class. Similarly a friend gave me MGMAT properties of numbers and WOW I was blown away. I'm not blaming the course provider or begrudge them in anyway, but as I do GMAT soul searching I need to analyze everything. What's giving me hope are these amazing stories I read of low scores to cracking 700!

I'm taking a week off then plan to studying from scratch and take the exam in 3 months. So far here are my thoughts:

- People really seem to love e-GMAT for verbal so I'm going to look into that
- I have no problem taking a full course, but which one? MGMAT? Knewton? Veritas? Magoosh? If I take e -GMAT for verbal, is there something I can do for math?
- Study time wasn't a problem, I'll do whatever it takes
- I'll keep an error log

In hindsight I probably wasn't ready to take it today, but after 3 months I wanted to give it a try. Maybe this kind of shock is what I needed... GMAT won the battle this time, but the war isn't over!
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2293

Kudos [?]: 9017 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Bombed the test - 450, time to reboot. Next steps? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 16:41
Expert's post
Sorry to hear about your experience.
One item that I am hearing from you - scores fluctuating indicates that you have gaps in your required knowledge, so when you are hitting items that are familiar/strong for you, you are getting a higher score and when you encounter concepts that are weaker/not covered, you are hitting a lower score.

My suggestion would be to see if you can get some kind of analysis of topics that you are not familiar with and yes, the MGMAT books are a good resource to cover and go through but they will take you about 2 months to cover (time may vary depending on the speed).

Agree with your plan - would also get the MGMAT roadmap - it is the common sense of GMAT; no material or concepts there, just how to be more successful at studying and testing - a cool book that can give you 10 extra points on the GMAT in 10 mins or 50 points in an hour - great ROI.

For now, take it easy, enjoy the rest of the weekend, and take next week to map out and create a GMAT Schedule, pick up the books, and see if you can find where your weaknesses are.

Try to have some kind of an error log to track where you mess up.

Good Luck!
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Analyst (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Bombed the test - 450, time to reboot. Next steps? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 18:12
I recently took the GMAT and messed up on the math section. I did a 6 week self-study before taking the test, and I have decided that I may need more structure in my learning. Tonight I signed up for Knewton and used the GMAT Club discount. I am looking forward to completing the 13 sessions. I think this will help me to feel a lot more confident the next time I test. My verbal score was decent, so I'm not worried about that part. Good Luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Bombed the test - 450, time to reboot. Next steps? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 07:19
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about your experience.
One item that I am hearing from you - scores fluctuating indicates that you have gaps in your required knowledge, so when you are hitting items that are familiar/strong for you, you are getting a higher score and when you encounter concepts that are weaker/not covered, you are hitting a lower score.

My suggestion would be to see if you can get some kind of analysis of topics that you are not familiar with and yes, the MGMAT books are a good resource to cover and go through but they will take you about 2 months to cover (time may vary depending on the speed).

Agree with your plan - would also get the MGMAT roadmap - it is the common sense of GMAT; no material or concepts there, just how to be more successful at studying and testing - a cool book that can give you 10 extra points on the GMAT in 10 mins or 50 points in an hour - great ROI.

For now, take it easy, enjoy the rest of the weekend, and take next week to map out and create a GMAT Schedule, pick up the books, and see if you can find where your weaknesses are.

Try to have some kind of an error log to track where you mess up.

Good Luck!
BB

Thanks BB for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it since I was feeling awful. After going radio silent all weekend and not looking at anything GMAT related I'm going to plan my strategy this week. I really want to firm up my fundamentals so I'll spend my time doing that since my timing on the exam was OK and I've already had an expc. I've just gotta keep believing in myself and feeding of the other success stories on here to keep my drive.

Have you had any expc with GMAT Quantum? Some other users have suggested that to me.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 04-19-2012

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Bombed the test - 450, time to reboot. Next steps? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 06:30
This test is about the basics. It's about not getting the easy questions wrong, and not about getting the hard ones right. I got a 48 and basically guessed on half the quant ... But I knew the basics cold... Go through all mgmat books until you know all the rules backwards and forwards

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Bombed the test - 450, time to reboot. Next steps?   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 06:30