Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Book and Study Plan - 3 months

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Book and Study Plan - 3 months [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I'm sharing my study plan here hoping to get some expert comments and feedback.

I started preparing around 2 weeks back though have not been regular in the time I've been devoting. Am almost thru with Kaplan GMAT Premier 2012-2013. Plan to use the below listed material for the next 11 weeks (4 hours on weekdays, 8 hours on Sat/Sunday) with a target score of 700+.

So far my weakest area is DS (Inequalities, Number properties) - even though am an engineer - been 9 years since I passed out of college. I think I'm quite good in CR.

Planning to go thru all of these for a tentative G-date of August 21st - Let me know if you think its too ambitious / inefficient / impossible / makes sense for 700+ / others.

Books:

1. Kaplan Premier 2012-13 - Almost done
2. MGMAT - All 8 strategy guides - 4th ed
3. Official Guide - 13th ed
4. Official Guide Quant
5. Official Guide Verbal
6. MGMAT Advanced Quant (If needed and time permitting)
7. Kaplan 800 (If needed and time permitting)
8. IR - Kaplan Premier, Go thru Info available online
9. AWA - Kaplan Premier, Skim thru templates, samples online

Tests: Plan to use Kaplan's 6 tests, GMAT Prep and free tests (MGMAT, GMAT Club, Knewton, Veritas, Princeton).
Are MGMAT tests recommended in addition to these ?

Study plan:

Book - Complete by
Kaplan Premier 3-Jun
MGMAT 1 - Numbers 7-Jun
MGMAT 3 - Inequalities 11-Jun
MGMAT 8 - SC 18-Jun
MGMAT 7 - RC 22-Jun
MGMAT 2 - Fractions 25-Jun
MGMAT 6 - CR 29-Jun
MGMAT 4 - Word T 3-Jul
MGMAT 5 - Geometry 6-Jul
Official Guide 13 19-Jul
Official Guide Quant 23-Jul
Official Guide Verbal 27-Jul
MGMAT Advanced Quant 2-Aug
Kaplan 800 11-Aug
IR 14-Aug
AWA 16-Aug
GMAT 21-Aug

Please comment.

Thanks!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-12-2012
GPA: 3.42
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Book and Study Plan - 3 months [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 11:01
Hi,

You sure have a good punch out there. Best of luck with your prep. Like you I have also the intention of going through those books if time permits. My preferred exam date would be September 1. Depending on the progress I might change it a week or two. Right now my target is to finish the entire critical reasoning by Jun-9 or 10 and simultaneously practice from OG 12 & and 13. In addition sentence correction and geometry section would be up. I'm not following Kaplan by the way. My task it make my basic strong before go to the battle. I believe Kaplan's math can create a diversion which i don't need right now. Anyways cheers and best of luck. It's sometimes difficult for me to keep my frustration at bay when I read...:(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

Re: Book and Study Plan - 3 months [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 02:34
Here are some thoughts:

1) GMAT is a test that requires both skills and intelligence. What I see by the long list of books is you are trying to "beat" the system by studying hard. As long as you understand the concept you really won't gain much by doing 2 set of courses (Kaplan and MGMAT). Instead pick one you are confident about and stick to it.

2) This is a test that really requires little knowledge but a lot of application (in a test environment). So all the practice is of little use unless you are able to practice it in a 4-hour timed situation and using official questions. Make sure you practice from the OG and the GMATPrep questions (available with a quick search on this forum)

3) Maybe some rules in SC and formulas in Quant but for most part CR, RC are aptitude based. So try to figure out your strengths and weaknesses and make a plan according to that. A cookie cutter solution won't work when you are at a mid-600 range and want to push it by another 100 or so points.

4) 4 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on weekends is simply too much for your brain to handle. I would recommend whittling it down to 2-3hours. Instead focus what you have to learn from it. Try to introspect and increase your areas of learning than doing it in 1 shot.

Just a few tips to get you started. All the best :-D

Arun

Free GMAT Resources | Ebooks | Videos | Articles |
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/free-resources/

CrackVerbal Live Online Course with 99th%ile Faculty
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-online

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: Book and Study Plan - 3 months [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 08:22
Thanks Arun and Fariz for your responses - I think I'll take a mock test to see which areas I need to focus on. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: Book and Study Plan - 3 months [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 05:45
Gave the Kaplan Diagnostic CAT 1 - Overall score - 680 - Q 70%, V 95%, IR 7 - Also wrote AWA.

Dunno how to convert the section % scores to scaled scores.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Book and Study Plan - 3 months [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 12:29
Quote:
4) 4 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on weekends is simply too much for your brain to handle. I would recommend whittling it down to 2-3hours. Instead focus what you have to learn from it. Try to introspect and increase your areas of learning than doing it in 1 shot.

Completely agree. Did this strategy the first time I took the GMAT and all it did was burn me out and result in a score of 600.

Second time around spent less time on pure practice and more on concepts of the test combined with a little practice and scored 700.
Re: Book and Study Plan - 3 months   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2012, 12:29