Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Book Review : When I read a novel set in a city I know well,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Book Review : When I read a novel set in a city I know well, [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 23:05
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

45% (03:46) correct 54% (01:10) wrong based on 11 sessions
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee's second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colours.
Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well
(C) Peter Lee's first novel was set in San Francisco
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 23:39
Answer should be E. It directly follows from "I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do"

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 65

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 23:53
Hi Marcab
Really a good one.....pls continue posting such excellent challenging question.
Here is my view on the above question.
The book reviewer says if a novel which is based on the city that he knows, he must see to it that novelist knows the city as well, if at all the reviewer is to take the novel seriously. Since the reviewer knows the city very well he will for sure come to know whether the novelist is faking or not.When the novelist demonstrates the correct and required knowledge the reviewer trusts the knowledge and enjoys reading.
The reviewer than moves on to give example of a novelist whose second novel is going to be published.

We have to draw an inference based on the argument.
C is out of scope
D mentions that the reviewer does not trusts the novel but in argument its mentioned the reviewer does not trusts the novelist. There is nothing mentioned about showing trust in the novel.
B is out as it goes way ahead in interpreting what is mentioned in the argument. It says that if the reviewer trusts the novelists as story teller than the novel is said to be based on the city.
A cannot be true as it states the reviewer will virtually believe any novel whose novelist she trusts.

IMO E is the answer

Last edited by Archit143 on 06 Dec 2012, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 00:01
Dont you think A is out of scope and takes too much of a strong stance??

VP
VP

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 00:09
thats correct Macfauz i have edited my post after re reading the answer choices again.
VP
VP

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 00:22
Marcab wrote:
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee's second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colours.
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does

I would like to eliminate the answer choices as mentioned in Powerscore....
A. It is eliminated since it exaggerates the reviewers thought.
B. Its a trap and attractive answer choice it conjugates an analogy presented by the reviewr with the fact which she presents.
C. A completely new info which does not fall within the scope.
D. Trap and shell game, the reviewer does not trusts the novelist and not the novel.
E. Correct answer choice.
It is sum of 2 premises
"I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously" + "Peter Lee's second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colours."
However a few may object saying that it is an implication but its within the scope.....................
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 01:02
Expert's post

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 01:47
Marcab wrote:
Any profound reason in order to eliminate B?

What argument says : If the writer is faking I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale.

According to the argument good knowledge is the indicator of trust. i.e Good knowledge is the cause and trust is the effect

Choice B: If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well

This choice wrongly makes trust an indicator of something. i.e It wrongly makes trust a cause. A book set in a city the author knows well just provides a stage for the author to gauge whether the book is trustworty or not. This is just one scale that the author uses to verify how trustworthy the book is. The author might even have another criteria.

eg : Maybe he also trusts all books written in greek. All greek books need not necessarily have been set in a town he knows well.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 18:29
Good question

B has reversed the Causality or stating reverse of what mentioned

Premise says -Demonstration of good knowledge (of City )makes author trust on storyteller ,not trust ->city knowledge
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 19:28
Expert's post
But what is the implication of this:
"I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously".
Don't you think "knowing the city just as him" becomes the necessary condition?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 229

Premium Member
Re: Book Review [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:08
"I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously".
And the writer passed with flying colors.
(E).The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does

Condition -> (1).I and Writer should know the City .
(2). Writer passes with flying colors

Above two imply that "Reviewer believes that she/he <= Writer" but not she/he > Writer which should be true as the benchmark X laid by reviewer , either the writer meets that benchmark X or crosses it .

GMATPrep#1 650
GMATPrep#2 710

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 269

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Book Review : When I read a novel set in a city I know well, [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 14:42
Expert's post

The paragraph only says that trust enhances the reviewers appreciation of a good novel. Who knows if trust will affect the reviewers reaction to a mediocre novel.

The paragraph only says that the reviewer trusts a novelist if that novelist knows a city as well as the reviewer does.

There is no way we can infer this from the passage.

The reviewer's trust relates to the novelist's familiarity with a city, not the degree of familiarity of that either has of that city. To illustrate, the reviewer may only have a passing familiarity with Berlin, but as long as the novelist he is reading is more familiar with Berlin than the reviewer, the reviewer will trust the novelist.

If the reviewer (who apparently is a she :)) knew San Francisco better than Peter Lee, she would not trust Peter Lee's account. Notice, "I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously." Therefore, we can safely infer (E).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 75

Re: Book Review : When I read a novel set in a city I know well, [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 04:47
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts. Very strong tone
Reverses the C & E . See below the details
(C) Peter Lee's first novel was set in San Francisco. OFS. Passage do not mention this
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well. Very strong tone. OFS

Cause -effect list & sequence:
novelist demonstrates the required knowledge ---> Reviewer trust the story teller ---> trust the tale ---> increases enjoyment of a good novel

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 75

Re: Book Review : When I read a novel set in a city I know well, [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 05:17
forexbullspk wrote:
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking, I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee’s second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts.
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well.
(C) Peter Lee’s first novel was set in San Francisco.
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well.
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does.

Please see my reply : book-review-when-i-read-a-novel-set-in-a-city-i-know-well-143673.html#p1185830

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Re: Book Review : When I read a novel set in a city I know well,   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 05:17