Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2003, 10:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:40) wrong based on 2 sessions
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee's second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?

(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts

(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well

(C) Peter Lee's first novel was set in San Francisco

(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well

(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2003, 13:55
I don't think that B can be right because it says that:

"When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do... When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale"

But this does not imply that the novel has to be set in a city the book reviewer knows well for the book reviewer to trust the novel.

It's like saying, if X happens (the writer knows the city as well as I do), then Y will happen (trust). But Y can also happen for reasons other than X.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2003, 17:25
Paul wrote:
I don't think that B can be right because it says that:

"When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do... When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale"

But this does not imply that the novel has to be set in a city the book reviewer knows well for the book reviewer to trust the novel.

It's like saying, if X happens (the writer knows the city as well as I do), then Y will happen (trust). But Y can also happen for reasons other than X.

After your explanation I feel the answer should be A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2003, 20:24
vote for A.

only choice which can be inferred from the passage.

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2003, 23:08
I don't think that E can be good either because there is no mention anywhere that either one of them has a better knowledge of San Francisco than the other person
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 15:27
yesssssssssssssss....!!!!!

atleast some of the things are on track.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 15:28
Does the "flying colors" expression imply that Peter Lee excelled at the description of SF and that the book reviewer is not his equal in that respect?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 15:37
wow, so the key to that question was to understand the meaning of those two words. Definitely not obvious for a non-native
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 15:39
Paul wrote:
wow, so the key to that question was to understand the meaning of those two words. Definitely not obvious for a non-native

peter lee, the subject of the CR, is a non-native.

jus' kiddin' :-D
  [#permalink] 24 Dec 2003, 15:39