Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

41% (02:43) correct 58% (01:45) wrong based on 41 sessions
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking, I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee’s second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.
Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts.
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well.
(C) Peter Lee’s first novel was set in San Francisco.
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well.
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does.

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
e

I think D could have OA but its not the case. Can somebody explain why it is not the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 13:35
vaivish1723 wrote:
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking, I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee’s second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts.
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well.
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well.
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does.

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
e

I think D could have OA but its not the case. Can somebody explain why it is not the OA?

Very close call.
In E.
Lee passed the test because..

a) "I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously": So Lee at least know city as well as reviewer knows. E is a valid option
b) "When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge"

WHY not D.

"When I read a novel set in a city I know well"...The reviewer is discussing the case when he knows the city beforehand. So the complete argument is about the scenario when reviewer knows the place.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 20:13
the book reviewer trusts the novel if the author explain the city he knows well correctly. if the author explains the city which book reviewer doesn't know about then he may or may not like the book

so D is not correct answer

to take the book seriously the author should know about the city as well as book reviewer so if he passes in flying colors then the author must know more about the city than the book reviewer

so ans is E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 02:40
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts. Very generic
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well. Could be but not for sure
(C) Peter Lee’s first novel was set in San Francisco. No
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well. Very generic
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does. Correct "I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do "
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 296

Kudos [?]: 589 [2] , given: 11

Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 17:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Plenty of good stuff here, but I thought I'd weigh in and take it just a smidge deeper, particularly to help anyone who is still on the fence.

Conclusion: (None -- this is a draw a conclusion question)
Premises: Reader connects enjoyment of book to trust in author to an author who writes about cities they know as well as or better than she does

Notice how convoluted the premises are. That's typical of draw a conclusion questions, so it's important you do your best to WRITE DOWN what the logic is, in your own words, to ensure that you actually understand it.

PROBLEM: We're told that trust increases her enjoyment of "a good novel", which implies the book has to be good anyway. A bad book that she trusted would not be enjoyable.

PROBLEM: The reader specifies that this whole argument only holds for books set in cities she knows. If she doesn't know the city, she can't apply her criteria, because there's no way for her to know how well the author knows the city in question.

PROBLEM: Not necessarily. She says that she trusted his first novel as well, but it could have been set in SOME OTHER CITY that the reader knew well and that he wrote about knowingly.

PROBLEM: This makes the same case as B. The reader could very well find some OTHER way to trust a novel set in a city she doesn't know. This argument only holds for books set in cities she knows well (as she says in the first sentence).

ANSWER: This must be true. If the reviewer came away from the book thinking she knew San Francisco better than Peter Lee, he would not have met her criteria for a trustworthy and thus enjoyable book.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 04:38
yes E is the right answer . i got this one wrong may be because of the convoluted wording of option E , after coming to E i felt none of these answers is correct, but a closer examination of E tells that E must be true.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 05:41
The answer is E. The speaker says :

I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 08:14
+1 E

The novelist has to know about the city as much as the reviewer does.
The novelist passed this test with flying colors.

If the reviewer knew more, the noveslist couldn't passed the test.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT Test VI.....pl help [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 00:26
Good question.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 935 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 14:01
vaivish1723 wrote:

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
e

It's tough question for Non-native speaker. It took me 3min to figure out what does author mean? "flying colors" means conspicuous success.
IMO, E.
Every explanations above are great. I picked E because of the author's tone. It's like the author wants to praise Peter Lee.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well,   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2013, 14:01