Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Books I would like to recommend

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Books I would like to recommend [#permalink] New post 26 May 2003, 17:14
Hi All,

I have been trying to find some basic books to tackle grammar and word problems. I have found these two books to be extremely useful.

1. schaums Outlines - English grammar (ISBN 0-07-135985-0)

Deals with all the basics of grammar with exercises. This book will not address the kind of SC mistakes that we see on the GMAT but this I felt is a good book to start with and then move on the specific GMAT areas in Kaplan or other guides.

2. How to solve word problems - Algebra (ISBN 0-07-134307-5)

Deals with all types of word problems and teaches in detail how to write equations in word problems. I found the kind of problems very similar to the ones we see on the OG and other guides. In this series they have many books for different topics like, calculus, trigonometry etc but the two I found most useful are the Algebra and Mathematics books.

If you are in the same situation as me (forgot all the basics in Maths and grammar) please take a look at these books.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8354 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Books I would like to recommend [#permalink] New post 26 May 2003, 18:32
Expert's post
HC wrote:
Hi All,

I have been trying to find some basic books to tackle grammar and word problems. I have found these two books to be extremely useful.

1. schaums Outlines - English grammar (ISBN 0-07-135985-0)

Deals with all the basics of grammar with exercises. This book will not address the kind of SC mistakes that we see on the GMAT but this I felt is a good book to start with and then move on the specific GMAT areas in Kaplan or other guides.

2. How to solve word problems - Algebra (ISBN 0-07-134307-5)

Deals with all types of word problems and teaches in detail how to write equations in word problems. I found the kind of problems very similar to the ones we see on the OG and other guides. In this series they have many books for different topics like, calculus, trigonometry etc but the two I found most useful are the Algebra and Mathematics books.

If you are in the same situation as me (forgot all the basics in Maths and grammar) please take a look at these books.

Thanks for this nice addition; if you don't mind, what especially did you like about the Grammar book? I mean what parts were specifically helpful to you?

Appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Best Part [#permalink] New post 26 May 2003, 22:42
I have not gone through the book fully but so far I like the parts with excercises.

Though this book is not meant for GMAT it still addresses all the common mistakes of sentence construction like parallelism, subject - verb agreement etc. and the excercises at the end of each chapter are great. Every concept is reinforced with good practice.
Best Part   [#permalink] 26 May 2003, 22:42