Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [129]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [43]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [32]
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [21]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Loved this SC question.
I was stuck between A & E.
Picked E primarily because the meaning seemed to require the word 'although' to break the flow of the sentence i.e. Books last longer in Europe in the US, because the climate in Europe is fairly humid. This doesn't prime me that a change in direction is coming. -> NOT A RULE. Just my thought.

Quote:
My initial reaction was to strike it due to 'because, although', which usually is not used to together - but here all other options distort meaning (that extremes damage collections)
Really cool question!
Even so, I do request some clarity on because, although usage here - I know its okay to use them far apart in the sentence, but here does it not make the sentence peculiar?
. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that

I love the enthusiasm, akshayk and Madhavi1990! The GMAT is a whole lot more fun if you can find ways to enjoy the questions. :)

I agree that "because" and "although" sound kind of awkward when they're right next to each other like this. But "sounding awkward" really isn't a crime. (I'd argue that TONS of correct answers on the GMAT sound horrible, but that's a separate rant for another day. :?)

Here's what's going on in this case: the "because" and "although" are serving totally different functions. If we remove the phrase beginning with "although", it would be fine, right?

Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because... libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

No problem: the phrase starting with "because" just explains why books last longer in European libraries.

So what's the "although" doing? Just modifying the phrase that follows it. If we strip out the beginning of the sentence, it's a little bit easier to see how it works:

...although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

So both the "because" and "although" phrases have nice, clear functions in the sentence. They just sound odd when they're right next to each other. But again: "sounding odd" isn't something you should ever worry about.

We also discussed this question in last week's Wednesday chat (July 5), so feel free to check out Vyshak 's transcript for more on this one.

I hope this helps!
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Send PM
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
"subject of" is wrong...correct idiom is "subject to"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [4]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools:UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
raghavs wrote:
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States
because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected
to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
damage collections in the United States.
A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that
C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as
D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as
E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected
to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that

Would appreciate if the question stem were underlined!

Anyway, the correct idiom is 'subject to' ... so B/D are out...
C - "humidity as" damage is awkward..
E - 'such as' is used to quote examples - here its used to compare...

So ans is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.
A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that
C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as
D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as
E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that

Except from the meaning change, is there any other grammatical error in option E? Is the usage of "such as" correct in option E. Experts please explain this.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi sungoal!

'Such as' is used to provide examples.

"Low humidity, such as that in the Mojave desert, can do...."

In the above fragment, the Mojave desert is provided as a single example of a category of things (all low humidity)

In the sentence as it's written, the temperature extremes that damage books aren't one example from a groups of extremes in temperature. Rather, the extremes that damage book are the ONLY extremes we are concerned with. Therefore, indicating that those extremes are one example from a category with the words 'such as' is illogical and incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Send PM
Hi Eli,

I have a query here.

Is it correct to use because, although ?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ksp wrote:
Hi Eli,

I have a query here.

Is it correct to use because, although ?
This is fine. Connecting words can be placed in many places around the sentence. The only hard-and-fast rule about connectors is that N clauses must have N-1 connecting words. In this case, we have three clauses (Books....last, the climate is, libraries...are not), and two connecting words (Although, Because), so the numbers are correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [3]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that Ok - Sentence is grammatically correct. I tested for an illogical modifier or fragment, but everything checked out.

B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that "As those that" is not necessary. Furthermore, "those" takes the last noun "libraries", making an illogical comparison.

C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as extremities is a different word from extreme. Even if it were a word, the extremities would make the sentence illogical -- were there multiple extremes? How can there be?

D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as "but still" is not idiomatic but redundant; "but still" also creates an unnecessary contrast (even on the wrong clause). "As" is interchangeable.

E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that "but" creates a contrast on the wrong clause. "such as those that" doesn't make any sense.

IMO A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [3]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos