Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [1621]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink]
I strongly recomend The Economist - the English there is simply beautiful, topics are very interesting. It is also possible to download very good spoken version - I entertain myself with it while jogging or travelling.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas,Cranfield,Oxford,LBS,ISB
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Hello all. I am a newbie to this forum. After many years of procrastination, i have finally decided to firm up and pull up my socks ;)
It's a fascinating world in here and i love the committment the driving members have in here.
Anyways, let me not deviate from the topic of this thread.

I am sure, many of you would have already recommended these. But my favourites are:
1 - Issac Asimov : Foundation Series, All Robot books
2 - Ayn Rand : The Fountainhead (masterpiece), Atlas Shrugged
3 - Gabriel Garcia Marquez : 100 years in Solitude, Love in the time of Cholera
4 - The Alchemist

And then it always helps to read books with content which is not too taxing on one's brain :)
Jeffrey Archer doesnt do too bad there with books like Kane and Abel, Not a penny more not a penny less, etc
I loved the works of Sidney Sheldon and probably read all of them, but wouldnt recommend them here.

I guess that the purpose is to develop a (natural) interest in reading, and then one would be able to read anything under the sun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hi JohnLewis1980
and hi all
I really want to make friend with all of you. Nice to meet you all. I took GMAT this morning. It was terrible. I can not image that I can get low score like this. Could you help me some tips. Thanks a lot.
Could you give me your yahoo ID. I wanna want to practice GMAT.
Thanks again
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I think I have to read these i got 20 in verbal..mmmmmmmmmm
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
For non-fiction, I recommend The Road to Serfrdom, by F.A. Hayek. He was a fairly important laissez-faire economist in the 1930's and 1940's. Indeed, he won the Nobel Prize in 1974 for his writings during that time.

While the book has some flaws, it's still a fine read.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Good list, but you might want to think about including something by Sinclair Lewis eg Dodsworth, Elmer Gantry, Main Street, Arrowsmith. A bit out of favor these days, but you can see why he won the Nobel prize.

Likewise Faulkner: The Sound and the Fury, Absalom Absalom, Light in August, As I Lay Dying. His books can be a slog, and he writes on several levels, but if you persist, you can get a lot out of him.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
You should most definitely have 'Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho in your list.

Also Proust's Swanns Way ... ofcourse this is not for the Faint hearted. But the really long sentences almost throughout the book will help in Sentence correction with amazing use of Modifiers. Also if the book cannot be completed in time before GMAT, as a suggestion try Random sentences from the book for Practice ... its more than Amazing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
swissgirl wrote:
hi guys. thanks for advises.
are there any free resourses to read? unfortunatelly i cannot buy books now.

You don't have to buy these books. In fact many of them can be found online for free. For example on manybooks dot net OR through iBook application on iPhone I found (for free!) Daisy Miller by Henry James and Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I also managed to find somewhere in the web what I was looking for: the books by Earnest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Usually the older books are copyright-free and may be available for $0.99 or free on Kindle and other digital reading platforms. Check them just in case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
northam wrote:
swissgirl wrote:
hi guys. thanks for advises.
are there any free resourses to read? unfortunatelly i cannot buy books now.

You don't have to buy these books. In fact many of them can be found online for free. For example on manybooks dot net OR through iBook application on iPhone I found (for free!) Daisy Miller by Henry James and Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I also managed to find somewhere in the web what I was looking for: the books by Earnest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Is there a way to read books online? I mean without breaching any copyrights?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
viksag wrote:

Project Gutenberg is a good place to start.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
SeniorFlunky wrote:
viksag wrote:

Project Gutenberg is a good place to start.

Thanks!! I'll check it out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
These are amazing book suggestions and very helpful. Most of us might have read these in high school at one point, or the Cliff notes, and it's good to see they are still very important in today's literature.

I am currently reading Ayn Rand's Fountainhead in between studying for the GMAT. It is a necessary break and provides a means to subconsciously helping my verbal score (hopefully).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Blessing in disguise..thanks a lot..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Agree on this book.

I'd add non-fiction -

Russia & Napoleon -The True Story of the Campaigns of War and Peace

Lords of Finance - The Bankers Who Broke the World

Alexander Hamilton

bmillan01 wrote:
For non-fiction, I recommend The Road to Serfrdom, by F.A. Hayek. He was a fairly important laissez-faire economist in the 1930's and 1940's. Indeed, he won the Nobel Prize in 1974 for his writings during that time.

While the book has some flaws, it's still a fine read.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I'm new and quite partial to the collection! I just want to correct a book's title. That is Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, not Sidartha by Herman Hesse.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Concentration: finance
Schools:INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
 Q48  V31
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Send PM
bb wrote:
I am a non-native speaker and when I was studying for GMAT, I had a really hard time with the Reading Comprehension section - it was too difficult to digest in the amount of time allotted, often had new words, and took double the processing power to understand. I tried reading scientific articles and business magazines but I read only for the sake of reading and naturally in about 3 minutes I would catch my mind wondering somewhere else and having to get back to reading. I had to force myself to read and that's a horrible situation to be in. There had to be a better way to do this, and I think I found it - reading interesting books with strong written English. Now, rather than reading myself to sleep, I would stay up till 2 or 3 am with a dictionary next to my bed, unable to put the book down. When I read these books, I wanted to know what every word meant. I also was able to remember the vocabulary a lot better since I now was much more invested into the book and my reading was now done as a fun activity. Beat that!

Other GMAT-related Books:
All-in-one GMAT Guidebooks
Math GMAT Books
Verbal GMAT Books
Pre-MBA Reading List

Also, even though I started reading fiction books to get my Reading Comprehension up, after 3-4 good sized books I found that reading also trains your "ear" and helps with Sentence Correction. More and more I was able to pick out the issue with the sentence simply because it did not sound right and not because I ran through my 13 point check-list for CR questions. Eventually I scored 42 on verbal - back then it was 96th percentile, not too shabby for a foreigner.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that reading fiction books can be very helpful for your GMAT and not only that -when I moved to the US, I found that besides good grammar, reading Hemingway, Steinbeck, and Fitzgerald books gave me insights into the culture and history that helped to blend in a bit better. (Many of the classic books listed are a required reading in the US high schools). If you are not a native speaker and serious about getting a good verbal score - I would highly recommend you pick up a reading habit.

Here is a list of fiction books I found most interesting. However, I hope that if you find any interesting books, esp. something that really impacted you, you will post them here as a recommendation and I will add them to the list (I am also looking for a recommendation for a new book to read).

Recent Classic Fiction
These are usually well known books that have some of the best style and rich vocabulary.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - One of the most romantic books on the list. Though it will capture you, leave a very warm feeling and may even make you cry, the main value of the book is its stunningly beautiful language and great history insights (Do you know who a bootlegger is?). 4 Amazon stars based on 1,223 reviews.
Review by diogoguitarrista: "The book is easy to understand because it is a romance. While reading, you imagine the scene, every detail.
You may find some "elder" words reading it, such as "any body" instead of "anybody", but nothing like you would find reading an original text by Christopher Columbus :lol: . Still, the story has a rich vocabulary."

Someone said that the book has some tough parts that could make one cry, but I did not even got "sad".

The bottom line: it worth both your time and your money

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - the most well know of Steinbeck's masterpieces. Not the best value for the money with only 92 pages, but it has the most cultural value as everyone in the US read, watched, or heard of it. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 1033 reviews.

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck - a story about a group of good-natured bums living in Salinas, Northern California in the 1920's and 1930's - the book has plenty of humor to keep you cracking through all 200 pages - a quick read. A movie with the same title has been made based on this book. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 233 reviews.

Daisy Miller by Henry James - definitely one of the most romantic books by James, but he has fantastic English - 3 line sentences and more on 128 pages. No reliable Amazon rating is available for this book

A Movable Feast by Earnest Hemingway - a very inspiring book about the writer's years in Paris. Ideal book for a trip, but works well for GMAT too - great language, good sentence structure, and great useful vocabulary. 4.5 stars on Amazon and recommended by several members as well.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - great language and style. Also the annotated edition will keep you much more in sync with all the references. The most famous of Nabokov's pieces and one that coined a name for itself in history. 4.5 Amazon Stars.

Sidartha by Herman Hesse - if you ever wondered about the meaning of life or how to be happy - read through a short book about an Indian boy who seeks enlightenment and satisfaction. This is one of the most famous works by Hesse. He received a Nobel prize for his life-long contribution to the world's literature.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - fantastic language and a very interesting book about the life of a British butler. A movie has been made based on the book, but it is not even 10% as good. 256 pages and 4.5 Amazon stars based on 196 reviews.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - 2,500 Amazon reviews probably speak for themselves. This was the first book I read after starting business school - good language, captivating plot that will have you read through nights and a lot to learn about early 20th century Japan and the role of a Geisha. I read it over a course of several weeks and when I was finished, I felt a part of me was missing.

To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee - this story grew with and around single family in small city Monroeville, which said to be Herper Lee's hometown. Herper Lee delineated each character through the eyes of Jean Louise who was a girl between 7-8 yrs. This story helps identify each character based on its vicinity and consequences. (Recommended by priyankur)

Men without women by Earnest Hemingway - compilation of fourteen short stories so good reading guide for them who think that reading novel could waste precious preparation time. Stories are distinct and readers have enough room to juxtapose their thoughts with those of author. (Recommended by priyankur)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (P.S.) - The book is meant to be read with concentration and a sound mind (which is very important in papers like GMAT). It is not only psychologically motivating (if understood), but also trains the reader's mind for complex texts. (Recommended by aknine)

Heavyweights (500+ Page Fiction Books)
Longer books but worth every page

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - a timeless classic and required high school reading, this book covers the lives of several families caught in the 1930's great depression. 464 pages of great English, interesting story, and full of cultural references. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 599 reviews.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand - a masterpiece by a master. Though very idealistic and sometimes extreme, Ayn Rand delivers a great story with strong structure, and many themes that will force you think about your life. 752 pages will slip by too quickly - you will miss the company of this book. 4 Amazon stars based on 974 reviews.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand - a "continuation" to the Fountainhead and the last book by Ayn Rand - her last and best masterpiece. I am reading it right now and thoroughly enjoying it. I am 150 pages through and look forward to another 1,000 for a rewarding read.

Wild Swans by Jung Chang - a fascinating journey through the 20th century history of China - may not be the best style book, but extremely captivating and educational. 544 pages and 4.5 Amazon stars based on 359 reviews.

Shogun by James Clavell - let the 1,200 pages not scare you - this will be a fast read about 17th century Japan. A TV-series was made based on this book. Good English, though language can get tough sometimes. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 309 reviews.

Guns Germs and Steel" - fascinating book for history freaks. Certainly improved my RC skills. An enjoyable book as well. (recommended by pbanavara)

Non-Fiction
Captivating and educational

The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal by Desmond Morris - if you want a new perspective on the human race, learn what makes us who we are, laughing most of the way, this book is for you. 256 pages and 4.5 Amazon stars based on 52 reviews.

The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh - the only book on this list with a flawless record of 5 Amazon stars based on 255 reviews. If you are interested in code and how cryptography works - this book is almost a step by step guide - very interesting if you are into puzzles.

Future Shock by Alvin Toffler - The book is dense and idea rich and yet just 385 pages in length. (Recommended by urchin)

Other Recommendations
1. Non Fiction and Business Business Books mba-books-good-books-to-read-prior-to-mba-merged-74557.html - a collection of over 70 different book recommendations to enrich your views on Global Policy, Poverty, Leadership, Project Management, and just inspiring business books
2. The Economist Magazine (JohnLewis1980)
3. National Geographic Magazine (nitya34)
-

Thanks BB - I will surely follow your advice.
Cheer!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just read Jonathan Livingston Seagull and found it very inspiring. even better than The Alchemist I would say!! It's simple story of a bird which tries to find new meaning in life instead of just finsing fish to eat...and just flying for the sake of finding food. It's kind of inspiration-through-philosophy kind of book. I just read it in less than an hour. An now m planning to read Illusions by the same author Richard Bach. my advice: Just read it...I'm sure you'll not regret.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts