Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
117 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2218

Kudos [?]: 8157 [117] , given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 00:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am a non-native speaker and when I was studying for GMAT, I had a really hard time with the Reading Comprehension section - it was too difficult to digest in the amount of time allotted, often had new words, and took double the processing power to understand. I tried reading scientific articles and business magazines but I read only for the sake of reading and naturally in about 3 minutes I would catch my mind wondering somewhere else and having to get back to reading. I had to force myself to read and that's a horrible situation to be in. There had to be a better way to do this, and I think I found it - reading interesting books with strong written English. Now, rather than reading myself to sleep, I would stay up till 2 or 3 am with a dictionary next to my bed, unable to put the book down. When I read these books, I wanted to know what every word meant. I also was able to remember the vocabulary a lot better since I now was much more invested into the book and my reading was now done as a fun activity. Beat that!

Also, even though I started reading fiction books to get my Reading Comprehension up, after 3-4 good sized books I found that reading also trains your "ear" and helps with Sentence Correction. More and more I was able to pick out the issue with the sentence simply because it did not sound right and not because I ran through my 13 point check-list for CR questions. Eventually I scored 42 on verbal - back then it was 96th percentile, not too shabby for a foreigner.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that reading fiction books can be very helpful for your GMAT and not only that -when I moved to the US, I found that besides good grammar, reading Hemingway, Steinbeck, and Fitzgerald books gave me insights into the culture and history that helped to blend in a bit better. (Many of the classic books listed are a required reading in the US high schools). If you are not a native speaker and serious about getting a good verbal score - I would highly recommend you pick up a reading habit.

Here is a list of fiction books I found most interesting. However, I hope that if you find any interesting books, esp. something that really impacted you, you will post them here as a recommendation and I will add them to the list (I am also looking for a recommendation for a new book to read).

Recent Classic Fiction
These are usually well known books that have some of the best style and rich vocabulary.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - One of the most romantic books on the list. Though it will capture you, leave a very warm feeling and may even make you cry, the main value of the book is its stunningly beautiful language and great history insights (Do you know who a bootlegger is?). 4 Amazon stars based on 1,223 reviews.
Review by diogoguitarrista: "The book is easy to understand because it is a romance. While reading, you imagine the scene, every detail.
You may find some "elder" words reading it, such as "any body" instead of "anybody", but nothing like you would find reading an original text by Christopher Columbus :lol: . Still, the story has a rich vocabulary."

Someone said that the book has some tough parts that could make one cry, but I did not even got "sad".

The bottom line: it worth both your time and your money

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - the most well know of Steinbeck's masterpieces. Not the best value for the money with only 92 pages, but it has the most cultural value as everyone in the US read, watched, or heard of it. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 1033 reviews.

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck - a story about a group of good-natured bums living in Salinas, Northern California in the 1920's and 1930's - the book has plenty of humor to keep you cracking through all 200 pages - a quick read. A movie with the same title has been made based on this book. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 233 reviews.

Daisy Miller by Henry James - definitely one of the most romantic books by James, but he has fantastic English - 3 line sentences and more on 128 pages. No reliable Amazon rating is available for this book

A Movable Feast by Earnest Hemingway - a very inspiring book about the writer's years in Paris. Ideal book for a trip, but works well for GMAT too - great language, good sentence structure, and great useful vocabulary. 4.5 stars on Amazon and recommended by several members as well.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - great language and style. Also the annotated edition will keep you much more in sync with all the references. The most famous of Nabokov's pieces and one that coined a name for itself in history. 4.5 Amazon Stars.

Sidartha by Herman Hesse - if you ever wondered about the meaning of life or how to be happy - read through a short book about an Indian boy who seeks enlightenment and satisfaction. This is one of the most famous works by Hesse. He received a Nobel prize for his life-long contribution to the world's literature.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - fantastic language and a very interesting book about the life of a British butler. A movie has been made based on the book, but it is not even 10% as good. 256 pages and 4.5 Amazon stars based on 196 reviews.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - 2,500 Amazon reviews probably speak for themselves. This was the first book I read after starting business school - good language, captivating plot that will have you read through nights and a lot to learn about early 20th century Japan and the role of a Geisha. I read it over a course of several weeks and when I was finished, I felt a part of me was missing.

To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee - this story grew with and around single family in small city Monroeville, which said to be Herper Lee's hometown. Herper Lee delineated each character through the eyes of Jean Louise who was a girl between 7-8 yrs. This story helps identify each character based on its vicinity and consequences. (Recommended by priyankur)

Men without women by Earnest Hemingway - compilation of fourteen short stories so good reading guide for them who think that reading novel could waste precious preparation time. Stories are distinct and readers have enough room to juxtapose their thoughts with those of author. (Recommended by priyankur)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (P.S.) - The book is meant to be read with concentration and a sound mind (which is very important in papers like GMAT). It is not only psychologically motivating (if understood), but also trains the reader's mind for complex texts. (Recommended by aknine)

Heavyweights (500+ Page Fiction Books)
Longer books but worth every page

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - a timeless classic and required high school reading, this book covers the lives of several families caught in the 1930's great depression. 464 pages of great English, interesting story, and full of cultural references. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 599 reviews.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand - a masterpiece by a master. Though very idealistic and sometimes extreme, Ayn Rand delivers a great story with strong structure, and many themes that will force you think about your life. 752 pages will slip by too quickly - you will miss the company of this book. 4 Amazon stars based on 974 reviews.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand - a "continuation" to the Fountainhead and the last book by Ayn Rand - her last and best masterpiece. I am reading it right now and thoroughly enjoying it. I am 150 pages through and look forward to another 1,000 for a rewarding read.

Wild Swans by Jung Chang - a fascinating journey through the 20th century history of China - may not be the best style book, but extremely captivating and educational. 544 pages and 4.5 Amazon stars based on 359 reviews.

Shogun by James Clavell - let the 1,200 pages not scare you - this will be a fast read about 17th century Japan. A TV-series was made based on this book. Good English, though language can get tough sometimes. 4.5 Amazon stars based on 309 reviews.

Guns Germs and Steel" - fascinating book for history freaks. Certainly improved my RC skills. An enjoyable book as well. (recommended by pbanavara)

Non-Fiction
Captivating and educational

The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal by Desmond Morris - if you want a new perspective on the human race, learn what makes us who we are, laughing most of the way, this book is for you. 256 pages and 4.5 Amazon stars based on 52 reviews.

The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh - the only book on this list with a flawless record of 5 Amazon stars based on 255 reviews. If you are interested in code and how cryptography works - this book is almost a step by step guide - very interesting if you are into puzzles.

Future Shock by Alvin Toffler - The book is dense and idea rich and yet just 385 pages in length. (Recommended by urchin)

Other Recommendations
1. Non Fiction and Business Business Books mba-books-good-books-to-read-prior-to-mba-merged-74557.html - a collection of over 70 different book recommendations to enrich your views on Global Policy, Poverty, Leadership, Project Management, and just inspiring business books
2. The Economist Magazine (JohnLewis1980)
3. National Geographic Magazine (nitya34)
-

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by bb on 07 Jan 2011, 08:23, edited 31 times in total.
Future Shock book added
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 05:32
For the Indians out there (or actually for anyone), I highly reccommend any book by Rohinton Mistry and Salman Rushdie. Two of my favorites:

1. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (Shortlisted for a Booker Prize and part of Oprah's Book Club)
2. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (this one won the "Booker of Bookers in 1993)

Both books are fine specimens of english literature that focus on the south asian diaspora.
If you really want to go all out and especially take RC to the next level read:
1. Ulysses by James Joyce
Although I warn you that this book is fairly dense.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 9

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 09:53
I agree that reading should help, but my concern is the sentences like following:

The towers of Zenith aspired above the morning mist; austere towers of steel and cement and limestone, sturdy as cliffs and delicate as silver rods.

The sentence is the first sentence of Babbit, a Nobel Prize winning novel. In GMAT, however the sentence would be incorrect (what follows the semi colon should be able to stand on its own).

If you are used with these kind of sentences, shouldn't it hurt rather than help?
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 17:38
bellcurve wrote:
I agree that reading should help, but my concern is the sentences like following:

The towers of Zenith aspired above the morning mist; austere towers of steel and cement and limestone, sturdy as cliffs and delicate as silver rods.

The sentence is the first sentence of Babbit, a Nobel Prize winning novel. In GMAT, however the sentence would be incorrect (what follows the semi colon should be able to stand on its own).

If you are used with these kind of sentences, shouldn't it hurt rather than help?

I wouldn't read to improve my SC skills but I definitely would to improve my RC skills as well as my general cognitive skills. In fact I read a little everyday. This week I've been reading some short stories by H.H Munro (Saki).
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 75

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 08:06
is Mein kemph good?

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2218

Kudos [?]: 8157 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 08:14
Expert's post
thevenus wrote:
is Mein kemph good?

I could not see it as a great and interesting book to read in English (since it is a translation) and written by a maniac responsible for so many people's lives. However, if that is not a good enough reason for you to pick another reason perhaps the 3.5 stars on Amazon will be a good indicator.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 05:32
Finished "The Great Gatsby" and "The Grapes of Wrath" and purchasing new books right now. Thank You for the advices.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 282

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 10:52
I liked the book 'The autobiography of a Yogi'. There are many many good books. you guys have listed quite a few. Thanks!

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 23:52
Hi BB,

Thanks for the list. I am starting with Fountainhead. I wonder why a classic - Austen or one of the Bronte sisters' books doesn't figure in the list? Wuthering heights, Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice(this one's cliche). The english is convoluted and requires close attention to follow the story, which could sharpen a reader's listening skills.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 05:49
Hi guys,

These books are great for GMAT, but I'm preparing TOEFL right now. Which of these books would you recommend?

Is there a specific list or topic about TOEFL books (not for preparation, but for vocabulary) on this forum, other than "400 must have words..."?

Thank you so much guys, I've just finished my TOEFL and GMAt study plan, but without this forum and most of all without reading your experiences i couldn't do such a detailed and useful plan! :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 02:26
BB, I apologize if this has been asked before, but what makes a good GMAT book? Why are these books better than others? Do you think it would be worth reading any of these if one is already a native speaker?

Thank you so much for all of the work you do and help you provide.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 09:41
Just read it, I think every non native should also: "A brief history of time". Beautiful, a good read, well written.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 16:49
Hi,

I found this information helpful since i do have same problem with verbal section that i never finish this in time because it takes long time to read and comprehend. I have one question though. Its mentioned that keeping a dictionary and refering to it improves vocabulary and speed too. When i do the same, I keep on looking into dictionary many times and in a process loose my reading speed. Is there any solution or suggestion?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1069

Kudos [?]: 4770 [0], given: 163

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 01:40
Expert's post
bmb19762002 wrote:
Hi,

I found this information helpful since i do have same problem with verbal section that i never finish this in time because it takes long time to read and comprehend. I have one question though. Its mentioned that keeping a dictionary and refering to it improves vocabulary and speed too. When i do the same, I keep on looking into dictionary many times and in a process loose my reading speed. Is there any solution or suggestion?

If you have to look at the dictionary very often, reading the book is not worth it. Neither will you develop speed, nor retain interest in the book. Read books where you understand almost everything that is going on without the need to look into the dictionary. Even if there are words you don't understand, you will get their meaning from context. GMAT anyway doesn't have a separate vocab section. We usually develop most of our vocab from context, not from a dictionary until and unless there is a need to actively develop vocab. Of course there is no harm in checking a word here or there. If you can understand most of the written material in a standard English daily, you are fine as far as vocab in GMAT is concerned.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 00:38
"The Finkler Question" by Howard Jacobson would definitely be a book to recommend if you happen to be a bittersweet humor and a comic cynism lover. It's one of those books that keep your brain active, not that any other book doesn't, but this one in particular challenges you at the point that every single line is unmissable nothing will be trivial and of course it will manage to get a smirk out of you quite often.

Really well crafted and winner of "The man booker prize 2010".

P.S. it's a pretty good lecture for CR in a non directly didactic way, I'd venture.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 218

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 21:16
I'm a non-native English speaker and suffered a lot with verbal section two times. I got to know that there is no short cut to success. So I started reading novels. initially I have read one of Ayn Rand novel but it took considerably very long time because of boring stuff. Next time, one of my friend suggested Dan brown books for interesting reads. In next three months I could complete three books and now I'm on his fourth book.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 10:18
Great selection. I'll have to head over to the local book store and find a few of the listed books.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
I have started to read The Great Gatsby last night, but I feel it is very meaningful ... Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.’
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 633 [0], given: 6

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 11:22
Expert's post
Great quote from the book. Did you get a chance to see the film yet?

It's a good idea to read the book and watch the film - did you catch all the metaphors/symbolism/meaning?

An important thing to note though is that the GMAT is not an english literature class. You don't need to know symbolism and metaphors -- you do need to know, however, the INTENTION of the author. What is the author trying to say?

Whereas in literature there can be all styles of writing with no clear structure, in GMAT passages they are going to be structured. So certainly the Great Gatsby is a great read -- but don't neglect traditional sources of writing that cover social sciences like Economist or Harvard Magazine, to name a few.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 06:58
Would you guys recommend game of thrones? The english is quite old comapred to the gmat.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 23:19
Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World (http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0143116800)- is a beautifully written book about world finance system between WW1 and WW2 .
Highly recommend as a relaxing reading that will boost your vocab
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 23:19