Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.63
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 06:47
Hello, hello212 (I recall you being a prominent voice over in the Booth thread, haha) and all of the other round 2 waitlists. Looks like this is our new stomping grounds. Hello212 -- are you going to push hard to get off the waitlist, or will you be attending CBS in the fall?

My Blog: MBA Applicationland (mbaboy.tumblr. com)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 06:57
R2 WL joining this thread. Booth's WL process looks like a whole application process in itself. Additional materials, more letters of recs, updates to candidacy essays, school visits and a 90 sec video?? Sweet mother. Alrighty, let's get this party started. I quickly trolled through the thread and it seems like there's a lot of work ahead of us.

Any advice on how successful WL candidates reached out and maintained contact with adcoms? Did any adcoms offer guidance ? Anyone tried to receive feedback on their WL application so that they can address those weaknesses in additional material?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 07:14
Does anyone know how many letters of recommendation are appropriate? I know literally at least 10 people that are either current Booth students or alumni as well as U of C tenured faculty in the College that could write personal accounts of my candidacy. I'm envisioning a Miracle on 34th St. Santa Claus scene right now.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 07:19
Good Luck to everyone, I'm officially off the wait-list and into the ding pile
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 08:24
Hi Guys.. I still didnt receive the email from Booth but my status changed to WL.
Did any of you received it already?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 08:27
Naddour wrote:
Hi Guys.. I still didnt receive the email from Booth but my status changed to WL.
Did any of you received it already?

Yes. I received the regular there-has-been-update-to-your-status email a few minutes after 9 AM Central this morning.
Manager
Manager
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 44

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 08:28
badsyntax wrote:
tlbkcal wrote:
waitlisted...again!

***edit***

And welcome to purgatory hello212 and R2 WL'ers!

R1 WL'ers: Do you guys have an idea of what you will be doing now? Withdraw or send more updates and wait 2 more months? I wonder if I should look into putting together another video, getting more letters of support ... Very frustrating!

I haven't done a second campus visit yet so might do that and try to get some face time with adcom.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 08:36
tlbkcal wrote:
badsyntax wrote:
tlbkcal wrote:
waitlisted...again!

***edit***

And welcome to purgatory hello212 and R2 WL'ers!

R1 WL'ers: Do you guys have an idea of what you will be doing now? Withdraw or send more updates and wait 2 more months? I wonder if I should look into putting together another video, getting more letters of support ... Very frustrating!

I haven't done a second campus visit yet so might do that and try to get some face time with adcom.

Yeah, I might do that too. Been there twice so far - once for the interview and then again in early February. Are you looking to put down your deposit elsewhere? Stern's deadline is coming up for me ...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 09:26
Scorpionz and others making it off of the wait list, any tips for us new wait listers?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 11:03
Getting into a top B-school is a b!#ch, isn't it? Flying out to Booth again and get more awkward face time and same old emails with adcoms + more video and more rec letters... what a sh#tsh$w... I feel like no matter what you do on that extra stuff, the ultimate final decision boils down to demographics and what % of admits with your background decides to attend somewhere else over Booth.

However, good luck everyone!!

WL'ers who really want Booth over other school(s) that they have gained admissions to... don't lose hope as a lot from R1 WL got admitted yesterday.
Intern
Intern
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 11:44
I was wait listed after applying in round 2. I love this school, definitely my top choice, but yesterday was so emotionally exhausting! I put my all into that application.

My GMAT score could be a little higher, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of time to retake. Should I instead focus on the materials? How many additional recommendations should I get? I have already had two people offer to write them.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 11:57
Also joining the thread as a R2 WL'er.

Last edited by Azunga on 21 Mar 2012, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.73

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 12:16
R2 WL. Does anyone know how much harder it is to get in off the waitlist as a R2 vs. R1. Also, how important is it to revisit the school?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 12:24
R2 Waitlist... here I come.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 12:36
dkatzdkatz wrote:
R2 WL. Does anyone know how much harder it is to get in off the waitlist as a R2 vs. R1. Also, how important is it to revisit the school?

I have a friend that is the class of 2012 who was a R2 waitlist (summer admitted). She said with her class she estimates 20% to 30% were admitted from the WL, although she thinks that was in part because Booth poorly estimated its yield that year. The number that is being thrown around is about 100 people will be admitted from the WL.

Are our chances great? No, but they likely ae the best amongst the M7. Booth (and Kellogg in my case) both have relatively low yields compared to where they are ranked. Many people will choose H/S/W over Booth and others too will prefer Stern, CBS, or MIT, depending on goals.

Although unfounded, many from the coasts fear that Booth pigeon-holes them into staying in Chicago, which really isn't the case but can play in our favor.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 14:38
Looks like this thread will be my new GC home. Booth WL is my last only shot to get into a B School this year. Looking forward to going to war with you guys/gals. Let's do this.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 51

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 19:20
maki04q wrote:
Getting into a top B-school is a b!#ch, isn't it? Flying out to Booth again and get more awkward face time and same old emails with adcoms + more video and more rec letters... what a sh#tsh$w... I feel like no matter what you do on that extra stuff, the ultimate final decision boils down to demographics and what % of admits with your background decides to attend somewhere else over Booth.

That's what I think at the moment. Perhaps we are not qualified or mature enough, or the final decision really boils down to demographics so additional LORs, videos would not add too much!

Unless really insightful, influential and differentiating additional essays, LORs, videos are added! This process requires a lot of time and efforts, if you really want to make a big difference to your candidacy and a real chance of getting admitted.
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 19:37
MBAWanderlust wrote:

Thanks for that pep talk :). Just got a mail from Chicago - Ding. Some closure to the process, though not in any way I would have liked. Anyhow, this is just all the more incentive for me to come back guns blazing next year .

You'd think that after being dinged twice over the last 2 years, I'd give up and move on - what can I say? I'm one determined son-of-a-b#$% who does not take NO for an answer. 2011-Dinged w/interview. 2012-Dinged after waitlist. 2012/13 - Admit?

Welcome to join the Booth 2013 - Calling All Applicants thread - I might even be thread master :D

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust

You are amazing :wink: . If you have tried two years with such significant improvements, you should try for the third time around. Don't give up!

I know the process is grueling, but it's worth. We need to admit that we learn a lot along the way. Some reflection would definitely help.
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 19:40
Consulting2Finance wrote:
Does anyone know how many letters of recommendation are appropriate? I know literally at least 10 people that are either current Booth students or alumni as well as U of C tenured faculty in the College that could write personal accounts of my candidacy.

I don't have a solid answer but I have read somewhere that Booth doesn't like a bunch of recommendation letters or essays that do not add any new/ fresh perspective(s) about the applicant.

You can send as many recommendations as you like, but make sure they are not repetitive.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 10:20
badsyntax wrote:
Guys,

I put together a list of all R1 WLers, what they did, and what the results were. Please feel free to make edits/additions. I could not figure out a way to embed the sheet here, so for now you can access it using the link below.

If you are or were an WLer, I would encourage you to go to the sheet and add more info as appropriate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TdDYkZNOVE

Not sure if this list is completely accurate. You have some people on here (including myself) who were accepted in R1, not waitlisted. I removed my name.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2012, 10:20