Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 21:49
@Boothie2014, thanks for the statistic on the number of accepted students. Do you have any data on how many of these accepted students have decided to attend Booth? I'm assuming paying the deposit, creating a Booth e-mail address, etc are some tasks that would qualify. Does anyone know what the deadline is for accepted students from R1 or R2 to make their decision is? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 51

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 05:17
Boothie2014 wrote:
For those on the waitlist, I wanted to give you guys some clarity. Given that last year's class size is 579 and Booth historically has a 60% yield, this means they will admit ~965 people each year. I have access to their internal admit directory and it looks like 781 folks have been admitted so far which means close to 200 spots are still available. There is still a good chance that many of you will be admitted in the coming months, so keep your hopes up!

Thank you very much for your insight! It's very helpful. Still keep my hopes up and send additional materials to Booth.
Intern
Intern

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 22:14
I went ahead and added pre-MBA industry and post-MBA industry to the spreadsheet. I believe this will be useful to analyze. Cheers.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 11:13
jerrykid wrote:
Boothie2014 wrote:
For those on the waitlist, I wanted to give you guys some clarity. Given that last year's class size is 579 and Booth historically has a 60% yield, this means they will admit ~965 people each year. I have access to their internal admit directory and it looks like 781 folks have been admitted so far which means close to 200 spots are still available. There is still a good chance that many of you will be admitted in the coming months, so keep your hopes up!

Thank you very much for your insight! It's very helpful. Still keep my hopes up and send additional materials to Booth.

Actually, Boothie2014's statistics are not completely accurate. I see the 781 incoming students in the directory, but that number includes about 320 R1 Admits who were in the database following the R1 deposit deadline. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I believe there were around 500 R1 admits (+/- 10-15) prior to the deposit deadline. So, the R1 yield was right around 65% and about 180 R1 Admits did not place a deposit.

This means there were approx. 460 R2 Admits (incl. those accepted from the R1 waitlist). Assuming a 60% yield in R2, 596 seats are spoken for between R1 and R2. This paints a very different picture of the remaining number of spots for R3 applicants and current waitlisters.

I hope I do not come across as pessimistic or negative, but I just want to clarify the situation for those waiting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 11:31
BStand wrote:
jerrykid wrote:
Boothie2014 wrote:

Actually, Boothie2014's statistics are not completely accurate. I see the 781 incoming students in the directory, but that number includes about 320 R1 Admits who were in the database following the R1 deposit deadline. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I believe there were around 500 R1 admits (+/- 10-15) prior to the deposit deadline. So, the R1 yield was right around 65% and about 180 R1 Admits did not place a deposit.

This means there were approx. 460 R2 Admits (incl. those accepted from the R1 waitlist). Assuming a 60% yield in R2, 596 seats are spoken for between R1 and R2. This paints a very different picture of the remaining number of spots for R3 applicants and current waitlisters.

I hope I do not come across as pessimistic or negative, but I just want to clarify the situation for those waiting.

If what you say is right, 960 admits in R1 and R2 indeed does not paint a great picture. That being said, a couple of things: 1) R1 yield will still be less than 65% as people get off the wait list at H/S/W and other places. Paying a first deposit still doesn't mean people are going there, particularly in R1, and 2) I've know people that have been admitted from the Booth wait list the past two years and it historically plays a pretty big role. Your numbers would indicate otherwise, which would be a change in precedent with Booth.

I also question why Booth would have what seems to be a fairly large wait list (a waitlist where they require new materials) if they already admitted 960 people in rounds 1 and 2. A 60% yield all but fills up the class. It's not like yield is going to be much lower than that. Plus, admitted 500 people in round 1 just seems like a really large amount (and the number is higher when you include R1 WL candidates).

Likely the number is somewhere between the 30% Boothie said and the <5% chance indicated by BStand.
Intern
Intern

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:05
Also, isn't R2 supposed to be the biggest of the three rounds (30-60-10 is what I remember hearing)? If there were 500 students admitted in R1 and only about 281 admitted in R2 (based on the admitted students remaining after removing the original R1 admits from total admits), this wouldn't seem to match up.
Intern
Intern

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:22
Does anyone have any indication of whether the number of total applications are up/down at Booth or across the MBA spectrum in general? I remember reading something in the WSJ last fall about how applications were projected to be down. If there really were about 500 admits in R1, assuming a 22% acceptance rate, this would imply about 2270 applicants in R1 alone. That's more than half the number of applications in all 3 rounds, last year. Unless of course, acceptance rates went up significantly at Booth this year, which seems highly unlikely as well.
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:22
bullsfan4life wrote:
Also, isn't R2 supposed to be the biggest of the three rounds (30-60-10 is what I remember hearing)? If there were 500 students admitted in R1 and only about 281 admitted in R2 (based on the admitted students remaining after removing the original R1 admits from total admits), this wouldn't seem to match up.

I'm using round numbers to make it easier (and because I don't remember the EXACT numbers from R1).

Based on numbers from the directory, there were ~ 500 R1 Admits and ~ 460 R2 Admits (960 total). I get 960 total admits from the 780 incoming students in the directory today plus ~ 180 R1 Admits that didn't pay the R1 deposit. I know that about 180 dropped off because there were ~ 320 incoming students listed AFTER the R1 deposit deadline but before the R2 notification date (down from ~ 500 after the R1 notification date).

So, the actual numbers suggest there were more R1 Admits than R2 Admits. While that is at odds with the past assumption that Booth receives apps in a 30-60-10 proportion, it's not necessarily wrong. Applications could have been more evenly split this year, or the admit rate in R2 could have been meaningfully lower than R1 if R1 yield was much higher than expected (a 5-10% increase in R1 yield = 25-50 class seats).

We'll have a better sense of total yield after the R2 deposit deadline in April. Based on the numbers above and interactions at admit weekend, my instinct is that Booth's yield is a bit higher than the historical average.
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:47
bullsfan4life wrote:
Does anyone have any indication of whether the number of total applications are up/down at Booth or across the MBA spectrum in general? I remember reading something in the WSJ last fall about how applications were projected to be down. If there really were about 500 admits in R1, assuming a 22% acceptance rate, this would imply about 2270 applicants in R1 alone. That's more than half the number of applications in all 3 rounds, last year. Unless of course, acceptance rates went up significantly at Booth this year, which seems highly unlikely as well.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just telling you exactly what I saw in the directory. I'll admit that I looked at the R1 numbers a few months ago, so maybe 500 R1 Admits was really 480, but it's not a number materially different than 500.

Besides, if you assume 500 R1 Admits and say R1 has a slightly higher admit rate (let's use 25%), then that's 2,000 applications. If the split was 45-45-10 this year, then total app volume would be 4,444, which is only about 3% higher than last year's app volume (I think it was 4,300).

This is getting a little too hypothetical at this point. I was just trying to provide some additional context since the original stat was from Boothie2014 was a little misleading.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 14:15
BStand wrote:
bullsfan4life wrote:

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just telling you exactly what I saw in the directory. I'll admit that I looked at the R1 numbers a few months ago, so maybe 500 R1 Admits was really 480, but it's not a number materially different than 500.

Besides, if you assume 500 R1 Admits and say R1 has a slightly higher admit rate (let's use 25%), then that's 2,000 applications. If the split was 45-45-10 this year, then total app volume would be 4,444, which is only about 3% higher than last year's app volume (I think it was 4,300).

This is getting a little too hypothetical at this point. I was just trying to provide some additional context since the original stat was from Boothie2014 was a little misleading.

BStand, thanks for providing some additional insight. I know you're not starting an argument, and just because the data may not be what we want to hear doesn't mean it's not helpful.

That being said, it just seems like something else is going on here. Booth historically has used its wait list a lot and in BStand's scenario, it would hardly be used at all (unless round 2 yield falls off the map). It also seems, based off GC that Booth continues to employ a fairly large WL as it has in the past, and that it requires a fair amount of additional information. It doesn't seem like it would be worth the AdCom's effort (nor fair to candidates) to view all this material if only a handful would be accepted.

A possibility could be the desire to expand the class size, for all we know.

At this point all the speculation is a bit counterproductive since we are all in the dark. As it stands now, A 60% yield on remaining applications would put Booth pretty close to the class size last year and all admits from WL would be a result of the 320 R1 group being reduced. That being said for all we know a 60% R2 yield may be high (it may also be low) which would open up more spots, as would the more likely scenario that the 320 from R1 will be reduced below 300 when all is said and done.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 15:37
NA

Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 15:57
@bstand and Boothie2014, thanks again for the data which you've provided. I also know that no one's trying to start an argument, etc. The impact of the data, is just surprising to me, that's all. Another useful statistic would be how many people are currently on the wait-list, if anyone has any idea. 41 people on the GC Google Doc, assuming 20% GC usage we can extrapolate to ~200 total wait-listers, but if anyone has anything more specific, it'd helpful.

Also, after the next deposit deadline, assuming the figure you're looking at has changed again, it'd be much appreciated if this was shared again.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 16:05
riskylvrg wrote:
I completely agree with the people who are being realistic after being placed on the waitlist in R2. The class is full and will allow for WL to come in if R1 or R2 admitted students decide not to attend and don't pay second deposit.

Speaking of deposits, when are the R1 second deposit and R2 first deposit and second deposit dates?

Thank you.

The first deposit for Round 2 applicants is due on April 27th.

The second deposit for Round 1 and Round 2 applicants is due on June 1st.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 16:50
NA

Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 16:53
riskylvrg wrote:
Any idea about R3 first and second deposit? Thank you so much for the info!

ls413 wrote:
riskylvrg wrote:
I completely agree with the people who are being realistic after being placed on the waitlist in R2. The class is full and will allow for WL to come in if R1 or R2 admitted students decide not to attend and don't pay second deposit.

Speaking of deposits, when are the R1 second deposit and R2 first deposit and second deposit dates?

Thank you.

The first deposit for Round 2 applicants is due on April 27th.

The second deposit for Round 1 and Round 2 applicants is due on June 1st.

The first and second deposit deadlines for Round 3 applicants are May 30th and June 29th, respectively.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 20:02
So 596 of the approx. 575 spots are taken? :? I doubt adcom would put itself in a position to overfill the class, especially before it has even considered a single applicant from R3.

BStand wrote:
jerrykid wrote:
Boothie2014 wrote:

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 05:36
ryantmc84 wrote:
So 596 of the approx. 575 spots are taken? :? I doubt adcom would put itself in a position to overfill the class, especially before it has even considered a single applicant from R3.

BStand wrote:
jerrykid wrote:

596 is the number if you assume a 60% yield on the R2 Admits. To one of the points made earlier, there's a very good chance that the 320 people who paid R1 deposits may only result in 250-275 matriculating students if some people are waiting to hear back from another school's waitlist or decides for pass up school completely.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 20:21
I wonder how many of R1 waitlisted got off the wait-list? I am unfortunately still on the R1 waitlist. I only did a video update and did not send in any essays or emails or ROL etc. I was accepted into two other schools that i need to make a deposit decision in April. Does anyone think its OK for me to send in an update and ask if Booth can evaluate my status and give me the final decision sooner than the decision date or it will backfire? Thanks much for your feedback, I appreciate it!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 12:06
Has anyone received information to sign up for the waitlist yet? I thought we were getting an email today? No bueno.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 12:16
kookie wrote:
Has anyone received information to sign up for the waitlist yet? I thought we were getting an email today? No bueno.

I did not get an email but if you go to your check status page, the WL sign-up is below where you click to sign up for an interview.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2012, 12:16