Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink]
Thanks for posting that tlbkcal. Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Kudos
Some video ideas could include:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

My take, is that this should be treated similar to your slides. Perhaps they are testing the video out to potentially replace the slides on future applications? So put something that will compliment your profile, add diversity and uniqueness, and reinforce your strengths, OR you could show something completely new that you haven't told Booth yet... Just some thoughts... Add to the list of ideas if anything else sparks your interest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Boys n Girls,
What are some of the good video editing tools out there? :oops:
I do not have a clue about any of this. I do know that the video will have to be edited in some way..I can't imagine seeing myself continuously for 90 secs without editing, let alone torturing ad com with it! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BYURover wrote:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

My take, is that this should be treated similar to your slides. Perhaps they are testing the video out to potentially replace the slides on future applications? So put something that will compliment your profile, add diversity and uniqueness, and reinforce your strengths, OR you could show something completely new that you haven't told Booth yet... Just some thoughts... Add to the list of ideas if anything else sparks your interest.

Buddy, I'm not sure I get your post...
Sorry to sound like a nitwit but are you suggesting that the video could be like a movie trailer or a political ad?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
BYURover wrote:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

Sorry to sound like a nitwit but are you suggesting that the video could be like a movie trailer or a political ad?

I believe that is what he's saying, there isn't much wiggle room with the 90 sec. cutoff.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hello waitlisters, congratulations, actually. It's not such a bad thing -- really. If you were dinged, you would wish you were at least waitlisted. So there's some hope. Also, Booth wants to hear from you, and that's a whole lot better than being shut in a cave to wait for the decision.

I've been thinking about this video waitlist, and it's pretty cool. It really does give you a chance to shine. I wrote a blog post about it, but here are the highlights anyway:

What a great way to see just how articulate a student will be in the classroom (cold calls, anyone?) How well-thought-out is their argument asking the committee to “pick ME!”? How sincere, how grounded, and most of all, how believable is the candidate?

But students should be aware that it’s not just an advertisement for themselves. It’s new information. Here are five tips for selling yourself on video:

1.Have something to say: Use the 90 seconds to actually make a case for yourself, It’s not about how much you want it; it’s about how and why you are a great fit for the school.
2.Be organized: Identify the two-to three specific things you want to convey in your message and clearly articulate them.
3.Talk to the admissions committee directly: the people watching the video want to want you to connect with them.
4.Rehearse: It’s a performance, and you’ve got to be prepared.
5. Be confident, but not arrogant: Sounds easy but so hard. Take a tip from the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business value of “confidence without attitude."

And I have one more bit of advice, and that is, don't bring an entourage of videographers or make it too fancy with jump cuts. This isn't the NYU Stern/Tisch program! Also, don't be like the crazy cat lady video on You Tube. She was supposed to be a Villanova MBA, but it was truly a hoax.

but still, have fun with it, and good luck!

Originally posted by MasterAdmissions on 22 Dec 2011, 12:55.
Last edited by MasterAdmissions on 22 Dec 2011, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
BYURover wrote:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

Yes, depending on your video editing skills and creativity level, you could get as creative with the video as you want. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that you use something that's already been created, the same way I wouldn't say to copy and paste someone else's essay in your application. This would obviously be something you would create yourself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm applying round 2 to Booth but came across this chat transcript that references over 100 people were admitted off the waitlist last year...thought it might be a positive tidbit of info for you all:

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ch ... 05-26.aspx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Thanks cj14 -- the Chicago chat transcripts are really a goldmine of information. It's definitely worth looking through old chats to figure out the fit between you and the school. I was just reviewing a chat yesterday and found this nugget from an October 2011 chat

Booth sees itself as a place that values independence of thought and intellectual curiosity. Students are encouraged to leverage their backgrounds and work/personal experiences when engaging other students, faculty and staff. That's what makes classroom discussions rich and study groups effective. Also, the students here are very diverse. I have classmates who've sang in operas, were cage fighters, and played in the NFL. No matter the background, students who come here are typically successful in their endeavors. <italics mine>

That's so Chicago to talk about independence of thought. Anyone trying to get off the wait list, or who are applying for Round 2 would do well to heed that advice.

Good luck!

Betsy Massar
Author of Admitted: An Interactive Workbook for Getting into a Top MBA Program
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Got a mail regarding the waitlist from Booth today..am sure most of you must've got it..posting it here nevertheless..

January Waitlist Update
As you can imagine, we had an extraordinarily difficult time making decisions for the Class of 2014. The quality of the applicant pool was exceptional, which was exciting for reading applications, but tough for making decisions. We thank you for the time and effort in the application process, and it truly was a privilege to learn about you and read your stories.

Timeline

We will review all waitlisted applicants in Round 2, and will release decisions on March 21, 2012. At that time, you will either be admitted, denied or remain on the waitlist for Round 3.

Keep in Touch – In person, on paper, or on video

We have received many questions about the best way to stay in contact with us throughout this process, and the answer is that it depends upon your specific situation. We encourage you to review your application to see if there are areas that make sense to supplement. If there are any updates or information you feel is relevant, please send them to us. We want to remain in touch with you during this process.

Once you've decided to submit an update, the next question is – what is the best medium for you? You can send an email to us, upload materials directly through our application system, or submit a video. As the video component is new this year, many of you are wondering if the video is required and what should be included in this type of submission. First, please know that the video is not required and you do not have to submit one in order to be considered for admission. Second, the content will vary from person to person, and we have no restrictions other than a time limit of 90 seconds. The intent with the video is to allow another, more personal way to connect with the Admissions Committee. As with all submissions, our hope is that the video will add value to what was originally presented in your application.

For those who would like to visit campus, you are welcome to participate in our daily campus visit program to learn more about Chicago Booth.

Additional Questions and Next Steps

We will be in touch with you via email as we have updates to share. We recognize that there may be many questions about the process, and have created a Waitlist FAQ page based on commonly asked questions. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to send them to us at admissions@chicagobooth.edu.

We have appreciated the opportunity to get to know so many of you over the past year, and we truly thank you for your time and effort.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Folks,

Anyone considering not submitting any video at all? I'm on the verge of ditching the entire video idea because -
1. I don't have any time. I'm working till almost 10 PM daily.. :X
2. I don't have any great ideas..
3. Anything I come up with seems redundant considering what I've already put forth in the application.

I guess I'm just gonna see how it goes without the video. I would rather have them re-evaluate me on my original application, rather than forcefully submit a video which doesn't really add value to my app..

Thoughts?? Anyone done with the videos or have any helpful suggestions?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
Folks,

Anyone considering not submitting any video at all? I'm on the verge of ditching the entire video idea because -
3. Anything I come up with seems redundant considering what I've already put forth in the application.

I guess I'm just gonna see how it goes without the video. I would rather have them re-evaluate me on my original application, rather than forcefully submit a video which doesn't really add value to my app..

I hear where you are coming from. Although I agree its best not to send a video that isn't your best foot forward, I think its pretty much a must to submit one. Alternatively, you might not have to submit one if you have any updates that are significant enough and can be sent via email.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
Folks,

I'm feeling the same way about the video right now. I don't feel confident about my skills to put together a great video which makes me feel like I might end up hurting my chances of being admitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Just bringing the thread back from wilderness..

Wassup guys? Anyone working on the video? Anyone spoke to the ad-coms or visited the school or heard anything interesting?

March end seems an awfully long way away at the moment! I just wish they would've let us know by the mid-decision for R2..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I retook the GMAT (improved my score slightly), made a video, talked to some more alumni and wrote a follow-up letter. Uploaded evertyhing this week in the application system. And now, I wait... again.

I'm exhausted but at least now I have peace of mind knowing that I've done everything I possibly could to improve my application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
Just bringing the thread back from wilderness..

Wassup guys? Anyone working on the video? Anyone spoke to the ad-coms or visited the school or heard anything interesting?

March end seems an awfully long way away at the moment! I just wish they would've let us know by the mid-decision for R2..

I wrote a letter including some work and career goals related updates and submitted it the other day. I want to make a video as well, just not sure what to do with it yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi guys,

Whatever approach you choose, focus on substance over form. What is substance? The stuff that would make an employer want you, a peer want to work for you, and your professor want to hear more about. If you have not had a chance to communicate that in your essays do it here:

- What is the spark that drives you and what things have you done / impact have you had because of it? Show vs tell.
- Show initiative, pro-activeness, whatever you call it that shows you would break through any obstacles to fix a problem, rather than complain about it.
- Show your passion for the school. Who have you talked with? What do you want to do there? Why is it the best place for you?

The program looks for people with ideas and initiative. They give you ammunition and flexibility to do use your MBA as a toolset. If you don't know what you want, you'd be lost for two years. Those who are driven and passionate about Booth win.

Hope to see you at Booth this fall.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22