Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
They're busy crafting an email they'll send out this afternoon.

Quote:
Dear Waitlist Applicant,

We understand how stressful being waitlisted is, and we appreciate your patience. Unfortunately, we're going to need quite a bit more patience from you because our class is WAY oversubscribed right now and we could not possibly consider letting anyone off the waitlist at this time. If you would like to remain on the waitlist, please respond to this email with a short note reiterating your interest in attending our program and confirming that, if you are indeed admitted at a later date, Chicago Booth will obtain full rights to your first born child. Also, you may submit an optional 90 second video of yourself dancing while wearing a funny hat. We believe this video will help us assess your fit with our program. Thank you for your continued interest in Chicago Booth. We will be in contact again shortly.

Sincerely,

Ad Com
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
I just got the call - I'M IN!!!!

OMGWTFBBQ

I can't believe this. Good luck to everyone and thanks for all your support!!!

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
There are definitely more calls coming. I thought of my GMAT Club peeps, so I asked. He said they weren't very fair into the calls.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 10

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone,

After much consternation and thought I decided to turn down my wait list acceptance and to matriculate elsewhere. Booth is a great school and would have been an amazing opportunity, but I ultimately felt a stronger connection to Darden.

I'm hoping one of the many worthy candidates in this thread takes my spot. Thanks to everyone that was pulling for me.

C2F
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you. I am aware that applicants who did not get in last year got in this year. I also am aware of the blanket statement that I made earlier is not 100% true.

In my limited view by merely my own experiences, I am of the belief that a lot of the advice that is given by the books and the admission committees and forums are somewhat tricky in their phrasing. Yes, many of the successful applicants have those traits (i.e. volunteer work, a great essay, high GMAT scores, great University backgrounds, etc.), but what they fail to mention is the vast majority of unsuccessful applicants also have those traits.

I am not going to say that any party is fully to blame. I merely state that many hopeful students read and research and extrapolate that by achieving certain goals, they will get into a good school. This is also not 100% true.

This is a feeling of pure frustration in losing an incredible amount of time and money, though again, I am also aware that there are probably many people in even worse situations who chased this dream for even longer.

Yes, someone can say, if I really wanted to get in (and I do), I would wait. I am waiting (and of course trying to improve all other aspects of my life in the scenario where I need to go through this process again). Not the most positive attitude, but I have not seen a reason to think otherwise.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 19:34
This post received
KUDOS
StillWaitlisted wrote:
Thank you. I am aware that applicants who did not get in last year got in this year. I also am aware of the blanket statement that I made earlier is not 100% true.

In my limited view by merely my own experiences, I am of the belief that a lot of the advice that is given by the books and the admission committees and forums are somewhat tricky in their phrasing. Yes, many of the successful applicants have those traits (i.e. volunteer work, a great essay, high GMAT scores, great University backgrounds, etc.), but what they fail to mention is the vast majority of unsuccessful applicants also have those traits.

I am not going to say that any party is fully to blame. I merely state that many hopeful students read and research and extrapolate that by achieving certain goals, they will get into a good school. This is also not 100% true.

This is a feeling of pure frustration in losing an incredible amount of time and money, though again, I am also aware that there are probably many people in even worse situations who chased this dream for even longer.

Yes, someone can say, if I really wanted to get in (and I do), I would wait. I am waiting (and of course trying to improve all other aspects of my life in the scenario where I need to go through this process again). Not the most positive attitude, but I have not seen a reason to think otherwise.

I think that it would be disingenuous for me to say, "I understand." I couldn't possibly because I am not in your position right now. I did apply to graduate school about 6 years ago (different Masters program) and went 0/5. I definitely didn't put nearly as much time, effort, and money into those applications as we all put into our MBA ones. However, it still hurt like hell not to get in and I was soooo frustrated. So I do know that feeling of wanting to move on to the next step in life but hitting a brick wall.

Ankur Kumar once said that over 80% of applicants are qualified for admission. Every year bschools turn away great candidates. There are no guarantees in this process even if you do everything right. There's no telling why someone goes 0/6 one year to come back the next and get into 5/6 schools. Yes, there is a bit of a formula to admissions but it's definitely not foolproof.

I didn't mean to suggest that being frustrated with the wait means that you don't really want to get in. I was only saying that at this point waiting is all you can do. If you have other options (career or bschool) then maybe it's not worth it to stay in purgatory. However, if Booth is where you want to be in the fall (which it obviously is), there are no other options. I absolutely hate waiting under any circumstances and this one is particularly torturous. I sincerely am rooting for you. If it means anything at all I would like to believe that my positive vibes helped get scorpionz, ryantmc84, Consulting2Finance, and hello212 accepted off the the WL at Booth. Hopefully it will do the same for you. Best of luck.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 18:43
Thanks Scorpionz for setting this up
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, LBS, Kellogg, Tuck

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 21:47
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
Thanks Scorpionz for setting this up

As a reapplicant, I got WLed again...
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 22:35
@rechardql - Can you share your experience regarding how the Booth waitlist moves? I'm curious to know if Booth will indeed release decisions only with R2 decisions or if there is any possibility of receiving them any sooner..A 3 month wait really seems like torture!

Also, what are your thoughts regarding the new "optional" video they are asking for? Was there anything similar last year?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, LBS, Kellogg, Tuck

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 00:00
scorpionz wrote:
@rechardql - Can you share your experience regarding how the Booth waitlist moves? I'm curious to know if Booth will indeed release decisions only with R2 decisions or if there is any possibility of receiving them any sooner..A 3 month wait really seems like torture!

Also, what are your thoughts regarding the new "optional" video they are asking for? Was there anything similar last year?

The optional video stuff is completely new this year; last year, they didn't specify their preference of the format of updated information from WLers.
In terms of the time frame, it's long process. In round 2, some WLers got off, ending up either with a ding or an admit; others remained on the list until late May, when the school sent off a few admits and dings. The rest waited until June or July to receive the school's final decisions.
The chances of converting WL to an admit can vary a lot from year to year, and from country to country (US applicants have much higher possibility to get admitted)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 19:43
@rechardql - Thanks for the info!

Has anyone been able to gather any thoughts around the video thing yet? I'm drawing a complete blank so far!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 23:07
I have no idea about the video at this moment either. Should we take a video of ourselves? work related or anything else interesting?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 05:58
I think I'm going to retake the GMAT and try to get my Quant score up. I'm not sure if it will help, but at least I will feel like I did everything I could.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 09:11
Oh lord, I don't know where to start on this. Really. 90 seconds?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 09:47
+1 confused about the video thing too. I am going to ask Booth students and if i have any new info, i will update you guys here. Good luck to all of us!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 10:02
I wonder about the video, if it's just a means of really understanding the candidate, as opposed to the carefully crafted message that a consultant has helped them package?

I don't know how many of my fellow applicants have used consultants to prepare their applications, but given the number of them out there, I imagine it must be quite a few.

*Sigh* I have a few ideas on how to put the video together, the real question for me is what to say.The waitlist email indicated that we're all qualified. So are they just looking for a sincere expression of interest?
Manager
Manager
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 44

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 11:42
Does anybody know whether there is a due date for the video or any other material? Do you think we should submit it by Rd 2 deadline?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 11:55
tlbkcal wrote:
Does anybody know whether there is a due date for the video or any other material? Do you think we should submit it by Rd 2 deadline?

I emailed the general admissions email address and they said to check the Waitlist email and the Blog... I don't see anything on the email about dates, so I guess we just wait for a new blog post? I was thinking about submitting my video around the mid-decision date for R2 - February 15.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 12:08
lemonems wrote:
tlbkcal wrote:

I emailed the general admissions email address and they said to check the Waitlist email and the Blog... I don't see anything on the email about dates, so I guess we just wait for a new blog post? I was thinking about submitting my video around the mid-decision date for R2 - February 15.

I have no idea what the date is, but i would shoot for jan/feb.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.72

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 12:20
I really want to rap about why I want to go to Booth, but for some reason I think that may not be construed all that well.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2011, 12:20