Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 13:32
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
lemonems wrote:
tlbkcal wrote:
Does anybody know whether there is a due date for the video or any other material? Do you think we should submit it by Rd 2 deadline?

I emailed the general admissions email address and they said to check the Waitlist email and the Blog... I don't see anything on the email about dates, so I guess we just wait for a new blog post? I was thinking about submitting my video around the mid-decision date for R2 - February 15.

I have no idea what the date is, but i would shoot for jan/feb.

Well I remember from the waitlist mail that there was some reference to the video upload link functionality to be enabled shortly. Don't remember the exact words though..

I'm guessing that the do's & dont's that are published once the link is activated might give us some more clues..Or at least I'm hoping so!!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 13:33
jessikins231 wrote:
I really want to rap about why I want to go to Booth, but for some reason I think that may not be construed all that well.

Ha ha...Well if you're good at it, I don't see a reason why that shouldn't do the trick!! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 13:37
lemonems wrote:
I think I'm going to retake the GMAT and try to get my Quant score up. I'm not sure if it will help, but at least I will feel like I did everything I could.

While that is a great idea, I would wanna be careful regarding the timelines. We know that the waitlist decisions will be coming in with R2 results. However, we don't know when or how will our apps be evaluated wrt to R2 apps. Hence you would have to prepare quickly and give your GMAT in max 1.5-2 months so that the ad com gets sufficient time to re-evaluate your case using the updated scores..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 13:41
Does anyone know if Booth has the concept of a "waitlist manager"? In Kellogg, a waitlist manager is assigned to every waitlister and one is expected to reach out to him/her to discuss updates or seek information..

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 14:12
scorpionz wrote:
lemonems wrote:
I think I'm going to retake the GMAT and try to get my Quant score up. I'm not sure if it will help, but at least I will feel like I did everything I could.

While that is a great idea, I would wanna be careful regarding the timelines. We know that the waitlist decisions will be coming in with R2 results. However, we don't know when or how will our apps be evaluated wrt to R2 apps. Hence you would have to prepare quickly and give your GMAT in max 1.5-2 months so that the ad com gets sufficient time to re-evaluate your case using the updated scores..

I agree, I would expect that decisions on our candidacy should be made earlier in the R2 process because we would have already had our apps reviewed and interviews submitted. All they will have to do is evaluate the pool against our profiles. So, I would expect the decision to be easy for some of the waitlisters, harder for others, depending on what the school is looking for.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 14:43
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
lemonems wrote:

I agree, I would expect that decisions on our candidacy should be made earlier in the R2 process because we would have already had our apps reviewed and interviews submitted. All they will have to do is evaluate the pool against our profiles. So, I would expect the decision to be easy for some of the waitlisters, harder for others, depending on what the school is looking for.

I'm shooting for the 3rd week of February to retake the GMAT. My issue with the quant section was my timing, so I don't feel like I need a lot of prep time.

I would think we will be reviewed later in the process. From the R2 deadline to the Mid-Decision date they are being reviewed by a student and an adcom just to decide whether to interview or not. We've already made it past that point. After the interview a different adcom reviews and makes a recommendation, at which point some people probably go into the "maybe" pile, then they look at us again when they are ready to review the maybe pile (after they have chosen all the definite admits). Just guessing on all of this, of course!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 08:43
I know the dates for hearing back are set for Booth, but I am currently seeking sponsorship from the company I work for and their decision date is Feb 6th. Is it wise for me to send Booth a thank you note and reference this date? I am not sure how it would be viewed by the adcom. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 09:38
Thanks for posting that tlbkcal. Kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 09:58
Boys n Girls,
What are some of the good video editing tools out there? :oops:
I do not have a clue about any of this. I do know that the video will have to be edited in some way..I can't imagine seeing myself continuously for 90 secs without editing, let alone torturing ad com with it! :-D

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 10:11
scorpionz wrote:
BYURover wrote:
Some video ideas could include:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

My take, is that this should be treated similar to your slides. Perhaps they are testing the video out to potentially replace the slides on future applications? So put something that will compliment your profile, add diversity and uniqueness, and reinforce your strengths, OR you could show something completely new that you haven't told Booth yet... Just some thoughts... Add to the list of ideas if anything else sparks your interest.

Buddy, I'm not sure I get your post...
Sorry to sound like a nitwit but are you suggesting that the video could be like a movie trailer or a political ad?

I believe that is what he's saying, there isn't much wiggle room with the 90 sec. cutoff.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 11:55
Hello waitlisters, congratulations, actually. It's not such a bad thing -- really. If you were dinged, you would wish you were at least waitlisted. So there's some hope. Also, Booth wants to hear from you, and that's a whole lot better than being shut in a cave to wait for the decision.

I've been thinking about this video waitlist, and it's pretty cool. It really does give you a chance to shine. I wrote a blog post about it, but here are the highlights anyway:

What a great way to see just how articulate a student will be in the classroom (cold calls, anyone?) How well-thought-out is their argument asking the committee to “pick ME!”? How sincere, how grounded, and most of all, how believable is the candidate?

But students should be aware that it’s not just an advertisement for themselves. It’s new information. Here are five tips for selling yourself on video:

1.Have something to say: Use the 90 seconds to actually make a case for yourself, It’s not about how much you want it; it’s about how and why you are a great fit for the school.
2.Be organized: Identify the two-to three specific things you want to convey in your message and clearly articulate them.
3.Talk to the admissions committee directly: the people watching the video want to want you to connect with them.
4.Rehearse: It’s a performance, and you’ve got to be prepared.
5. Be confident, but not arrogant: Sounds easy but so hard. Take a tip from the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business value of “confidence without attitude."

And I have one more bit of advice, and that is, don't bring an entourage of videographers or make it too fancy with jump cuts. This isn't the NYU Stern/Tisch program! Also, don't be like the crazy cat lady video on You Tube. She was supposed to be a Villanova MBA, but it was truly a hoax.

but still, have fun with it, and good luck!

Betsy Massar
Founder
Master Admissions
www.masteradmissions.com
Author of Admitted: An Interactive Workbook for Getting into a Top MBA Program
www.admittedmba.com

Last edited by MasterAdmissions on 22 Dec 2011, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 13:47
scorpionz wrote:
BYURover wrote:
Some video ideas could include:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

My take, is that this should be treated similar to your slides. Perhaps they are testing the video out to potentially replace the slides on future applications? So put something that will compliment your profile, add diversity and uniqueness, and reinforce your strengths, OR you could show something completely new that you haven't told Booth yet... Just some thoughts... Add to the list of ideas if anything else sparks your interest.

Buddy, I'm not sure I get your post...
Sorry to sound like a nitwit but are you suggesting that the video could be like a movie trailer or a political ad?

Yes, depending on your video editing skills and creativity level, you could get as creative with the video as you want. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that you use something that's already been created, the same way I wouldn't say to copy and paste someone else's essay in your application. This would obviously be something you would create yourself.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 11:27
Thanks cj14 -- the Chicago chat transcripts are really a goldmine of information. It's definitely worth looking through old chats to figure out the fit between you and the school. I was just reviewing a chat yesterday and found this nugget from an October 2011 chat

Booth sees itself as a place that values independence of thought and intellectual curiosity. Students are encouraged to leverage their backgrounds and work/personal experiences when engaging other students, faculty and staff. That's what makes classroom discussions rich and study groups effective. Also, the students here are very diverse. I have classmates who've sang in operas, were cage fighters, and played in the NFL. No matter the background, students who come here are typically successful in their endeavors. <italics mine>

That's so Chicago to talk about independence of thought. Anyone trying to get off the wait list, or who are applying for Round 2 would do well to heed that advice.

Good luck!

Betsy Massar

Betsy Massar
Founder
Master Admissions
www.masteradmissions.com
www.admittedmba.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 18:02
Got a mail regarding the waitlist from Booth today..am sure most of you must've got it..posting it here nevertheless..

January Waitlist Update
As you can imagine, we had an extraordinarily difficult time making decisions for the Class of 2014. The quality of the applicant pool was exceptional, which was exciting for reading applications, but tough for making decisions. We thank you for the time and effort in the application process, and it truly was a privilege to learn about you and read your stories.

Timeline

We will review all waitlisted applicants in Round 2, and will release decisions on March 21, 2012. At that time, you will either be admitted, denied or remain on the waitlist for Round 3.

Keep in Touch – In person, on paper, or on video

We have received many questions about the best way to stay in contact with us throughout this process, and the answer is that it depends upon your specific situation. We encourage you to review your application to see if there are areas that make sense to supplement. If there are any updates or information you feel is relevant, please send them to us. We want to remain in touch with you during this process.

Once you've decided to submit an update, the next question is – what is the best medium for you? You can send an email to us, upload materials directly through our application system, or submit a video. As the video component is new this year, many of you are wondering if the video is required and what should be included in this type of submission. First, please know that the video is not required and you do not have to submit one in order to be considered for admission. Second, the content will vary from person to person, and we have no restrictions other than a time limit of 90 seconds. The intent with the video is to allow another, more personal way to connect with the Admissions Committee. As with all submissions, our hope is that the video will add value to what was originally presented in your application.

For those who would like to visit campus, you are welcome to participate in our daily campus visit program to learn more about Chicago Booth.

Additional Questions and Next Steps

We will be in touch with you via email as we have updates to share. We recognize that there may be many questions about the process, and have created a Waitlist FAQ page based on commonly asked questions. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to send them to us at admissions@chicagobooth.edu.

We have appreciated the opportunity to get to know so many of you over the past year, and we truly thank you for your time and effort.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 11:48
Folks,

Anyone considering not submitting any video at all? I'm on the verge of ditching the entire video idea because -
1. I don't have any time. I'm working till almost 10 PM daily.. :X
2. I don't have any great ideas..
3. Anything I come up with seems redundant considering what I've already put forth in the application.

I guess I'm just gonna see how it goes without the video. I would rather have them re-evaluate me on my original application, rather than forcefully submit a video which doesn't really add value to my app..

Thoughts?? Anyone done with the videos or have any helpful suggestions?

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 11:52
scorpionz wrote:
Folks,

Anyone considering not submitting any video at all? I'm on the verge of ditching the entire video idea because -
3. Anything I come up with seems redundant considering what I've already put forth in the application.

I guess I'm just gonna see how it goes without the video. I would rather have them re-evaluate me on my original application, rather than forcefully submit a video which doesn't really add value to my app..

I hear where you are coming from. Although I agree its best not to send a video that isn't your best foot forward, I think its pretty much a must to submit one. Alternatively, you might not have to submit one if you have any updates that are significant enough and can be sent via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 10:16
scorpionz wrote:
Folks,

I'm feeling the same way about the video right now. I don't feel confident about my skills to put together a great video which makes me feel like I might end up hurting my chances of being admitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 17:18
Just bringing the thread back from wilderness..

Wassup guys? Anyone working on the video? Anyone spoke to the ad-coms or visited the school or heard anything interesting?

March end seems an awfully long way away at the moment! I just wish they would've let us know by the mid-decision for R2..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 00:52
I retook the GMAT (improved my score slightly), made a video, talked to some more alumni and wrote a follow-up letter. Uploaded evertyhing this week in the application system. And now, I wait... again.

I'm exhausted but at least now I have peace of mind knowing that I've done everything I possibly could to improve my application.
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 09:28
scorpionz wrote:
Just bringing the thread back from wilderness..

Wassup guys? Anyone working on the video? Anyone spoke to the ad-coms or visited the school or heard anything interesting?

March end seems an awfully long way away at the moment! I just wish they would've let us know by the mid-decision for R2..

I wrote a letter including some work and career goals related updates and submitted it the other day. I want to make a video as well, just not sure what to do with it yet.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2012, 09:28