Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 446
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 20:12
Hi guys,

Whatever approach you choose, focus on substance over form. What is substance? The stuff that would make an employer want you, a peer want to work for you, and your professor want to hear more about. If you have not had a chance to communicate that in your essays do it here:

- What is the spark that drives you and what things have you done / impact have you had because of it? Show vs tell.
- Show initiative, pro-activeness, whatever you call it that shows you would break through any obstacles to fix a problem, rather than complain about it.
- Show your passion for the school. Who have you talked with? What do you want to do there? Why is it the best place for you?

The program looks for people with ideas and initiative. They give you ammunition and flexibility to do use your MBA as a toolset. If you don't know what you want, you'd be lost for two years. Those who are driven and passionate about Booth win.

Hope to see you at Booth this fall.
_________________

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Waiting for interviews
Joined: 17 May 2011
Posts: 71
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V50
GPA: 3.76
WE: Science (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 06:58
NerdBasher wrote:
Greetings fellow waitlisters, I took a trip to Chicago last week to visit some friends at Booth and do the official visit. I had not yet visited the school, and I figured showing up in person would help my case and reinforce my interest. After the info session / tour / class visit, I went back to the admissions office and was able to chat one-on-one with a member of the admissions committee. I think this really helped my case, and I would recommend a visit to anyone on the waitlist. A few things I learned...

1) the deadline for submitting any supplemental info (recs, essays, video) is 3/1
2) the initial deposit deadline for Rd 1 admitted students is like 2/24, so they'll know a lot more about the size of the class at that point
3) they are super excited about this damn video. it sounds like they really want everyone to put something together. interestingly, the person i spoke with did agree that applicants could potentially shoot themselves in the foot with the video if they weren't careful about it
4) Adcom does not like getting a bunch of additional materials that tell them nothing new; it's important that anything you submit gives them a fresh perspective or new info

During my visit I met three different students who were let in off the WL last year. Two of them told me they basically didn't add anything to their applications while on WL, and had pretty much given up before being admitted in June/July. The third submitted multiple "update" essays and an extra rec.


Thanks for the information that is very helpful. It sounds like doing that Video is practically required despite what they have been saying officially.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 389
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 19:46
Thanks NerdBasher..Very helpful points..Kudos!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2011
Posts: 134
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 19

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 07:13
Do you think there is going to be some communication from the school to Rd 1 waitlist candidates on the upcoming Rd2 mid-decision date? Or do we all hear back on the 26th of March, Rd2 deadline?
Ny ideas??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 34
Concentration: Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 07:59
NerdBasher wrote:
Greetings fellow waitlisters, I took a trip to Chicago last week to visit some friends at Booth and do the official visit. I had not yet visited the school, and I figured showing up in person would help my case and reinforce my interest. After the info session / tour / class visit, I went back to the admissions office and was able to chat one-on-one with a member of the admissions committee. I think this really helped my case, and I would recommend a visit to anyone on the waitlist. A few things I learned...

1) the deadline for submitting any supplemental info (recs, essays, video) is 3/1
2) the initial deposit deadline for Rd 1 admitted students is like 2/24, so they'll know a lot more about the size of the class at that point
3) they are super excited about this damn video. it sounds like they really want everyone to put something together. interestingly, the person i spoke with did agree that applicants could potentially shoot themselves in the foot with the video if they weren't careful about it
4) Adcom does not like getting a bunch of additional materials that tell them nothing new; it's important that anything you submit gives them a fresh perspective or new info

During my visit I met three different students who were let in off the WL last year. Two of them told me they basically didn't add anything to their applications while on WL, and had pretty much given up before being admitted in June/July. The third submitted multiple "update" essays and an extra rec.


So we can provide an additional recommendation?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q35 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 11:20
Chaolien wrote:
NerdBasher wrote:
Greetings fellow waitlisters, I took a trip to Chicago last week to visit some friends at Booth and do the official visit. I had not yet visited the school, and I figured showing up in person would help my case and reinforce my interest. After the info session / tour / class visit, I went back to the admissions office and was able to chat one-on-one with a member of the admissions committee. I think this really helped my case, and I would recommend a visit to anyone on the waitlist. A few things I learned...

1) the deadline for submitting any supplemental info (recs, essays, video) is 3/1
2) the initial deposit deadline for Rd 1 admitted students is like 2/24, so they'll know a lot more about the size of the class at that point
3) they are super excited about this damn video. it sounds like they really want everyone to put something together. interestingly, the person i spoke with did agree that applicants could potentially shoot themselves in the foot with the video if they weren't careful about it
4) Adcom does not like getting a bunch of additional materials that tell them nothing new; it's important that anything you submit gives them a fresh perspective or new info

During my visit I met three different students who were let in off the WL last year. Two of them told me they basically didn't add anything to their applications while on WL, and had pretty much given up before being admitted in June/July. The third submitted multiple "update" essays and an extra rec.


So we can provide an additional recommendation?


Yes. The admissions team told me they will look at additional recommendations, however they cautioned that if we provide an additional rec it should be a NEW perspective, i.e. a peer or someone from an extracurricular activity, etc.
_________________

"the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" -William Blake

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 389
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 15:48
Got a waitlist update from Booth today which I'm sure all of you must have also received..Posting the link here for your reference in case you haven't received it..

Booth waitlist update

It clearly indicates March 1st as the deadline for submitting any additional materials for consideration..
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 05:57
Has anyone submitted any updates yet? Please what type of updates have been sent by the majority?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 181
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 07:14
peco wrote:
Has anyone submitted any updates yet? Please what type of updates have been sent by the majority?


I submitted my update a couple weeks ago. I sent an update around some job responsibilities I was recently given. I also updated them on my career goals as I believe I didn't articulate well enough what my short and long term goals were.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 07:35
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
peco wrote:
Has anyone submitted any updates yet? Please what type of updates have been sent by the majority?


I submitted my update a couple weeks ago. I sent an update around some job responsibilities I was recently given. I also updated them on my career goals as I believe I didn't articulate well enough what my short and long term goals were.


Thank you so much. Has anyone sent the 'video' in as well?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 181
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 08:00
peco wrote:
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
peco wrote:
Has anyone submitted any updates yet? Please what type of updates have been sent by the majority?


I submitted my update a couple weeks ago. I sent an update around some job responsibilities I was recently given. I also updated them on my career goals as I believe I didn't articulate well enough what my short and long term goals were.


Thank you so much. Has anyone sent the 'video' in as well?


I didn't. I thought that at this point, the video would do more harm than good, realizing that I had other updates I could send in. If I didn't have any updates to send, then I would have done the video.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q35 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 08:36
Thank you so much. Has anyone sent the 'video' in as well?[/quote]

I didn't. I thought that at this point, the video would do more harm than good, realizing that I had other updates I could send in. If I didn't have any updates to send, then I would have done the video.[/quote]

The more I think about the video, the more I agree with this sentiment. I have plenty of other content to provide in the form of text / pictures, etc. similar to the original powerpoint essay format. When I think about the video, I feel like if it's not really high quality with good editing, sound, etc. it's going to come off sloppy and could easily do more harm than good. I also recently visited the school and was able to get a lot of face time with the admissions officers, so I feel confident they have enough personal interaction to completely dispel any suspicions of crippling awkwardness, ugliness, or smelliness.
_________________

"the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" -William Blake

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 09:30
NerdBasher wrote:
Thank you so much. Has anyone sent the 'video' in as well?


I sent in a video along with a letter explaining some updates at work and an intro to the video. I don't understand why you would worry so much about the quality of the video: you're applying to B-school not film-school. It took me about one day to make the video. I did talk about something not already covered in my written application, didn't want to repeat myself.

I grabbed the video opportunity with open arms as it allows the admission office to put a "face" on my application and really see my enthusiasm. But I guess visiting the school and meeting the admission officers gets you the same result - I'm just not in a position to do that.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 389
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 09:42
Well to me one of the biggest dilemmas is what to include in the update video or letter..

If I go the route of giving them some new info/aspect, something that's not a recent development and which I could've potentially included in the PPT, essays or other parts of the application, then it begs the question as to why did I not include in the application in the first place if it was really that important?

That makes me not too keen on submitting something entirely new in whatever form. It will be more of a clarification or add-on to what they have already seen in the application..

What are everyone's thoughts?
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 181
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 10:28
scorpionz wrote:
Well to me one of the biggest dilemmas is what to include in the update video or letter..

If I go the route of giving them some new info/aspect, something that's not a recent development and which I could've potentially included in the PPT, essays or other parts of the application, then it begs the question as to why did I not include in the application in the first place if it was really that important?

That makes me not too keen on submitting something entirely new in whatever form. It will be more of a clarification or add-on to what they have already seen in the application..

What are everyone's thoughts?



I don't know if you should worry about whether the information provided could or should have been in the initial application. I think it is expected that if we are on the waiting list that at least some of us could have explained better some aspect of our app.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2011
Posts: 73
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 14:01
scorpionz wrote:
Well to me one of the biggest dilemmas is what to include in the update video or letter..

If I go the route of giving them some new info/aspect, something that's not a recent development and which I could've potentially included in the PPT, essays or other parts of the application, then it begs the question as to why did I not include in the application in the first place if it was really that important?

That makes me not too keen on submitting something entirely new in whatever form. It will be more of a clarification or add-on to what they have already seen in the application..

What are everyone's thoughts?


From the Waitlist Update:

"First, you might want to step back and take a wider look at your application as a whole to see what areas may not have been your strongest. When you do find elements where you could add some texture to your candidacy, consider submitting supplemental material to add to your application."
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 01:59
Thanks for the comments peeps. So do we upload documents using the "Post-Decision Materials" Tab on the application log-in page? Kindly advise. Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 13:11
When I went to visit in early January the AdCom member I spoke with really stressed that I should do the video. I think they're really excited about the idea, and its all about putting a face to a name, so showing them who you are.

From everything I heard that weekend, they appreciate demonstrations of interest so even if it's not professional caliber, just doing the video shows that you want to be there.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 07:30
tlbkcal wrote:
peco wrote:
Thanks for the comments peeps. So do we upload documents using the "Post-Decision Materials" Tab on the application log-in page? Kindly advise. Thanks


Yep. I emailed them about this and they confirmed.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Is it more advisable to send updates via email or via the application log-in? If i plan to send via the log-in, which of the options is best to use for the upload? Help needed ASAP. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 181
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 07:40
peco wrote:
tlbkcal wrote:
peco wrote:
Thanks for the comments peeps. So do we upload documents using the "Post-Decision Materials" Tab on the application log-in page? Kindly advise. Thanks


Yep. I emailed them about this and they confirmed.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Is it more advisable to send updates via email or via the application log-in? If i plan to send via the log-in, which of the options is best to use for the upload? Help needed ASAP. Thanks.


I'm not sure if one is preferred over the other, but I used the upload tool within the application log-in.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2012, 07:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth 2013 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants LongestWaitEVER 162 19 Dec 2012, 09:25
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants scorpionz 453 16 Dec 2011, 17:54
369 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants PTK 2319 08 Jul 2011, 07:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22    Next  [ 430 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.