Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:54

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [4] , given: 27

Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

Please post any questions, thoughts or suggestions regarding the Booth 2012 waitlist here. Am sure that with the new video thing coming up, all of us will have several questions..Using this topic will ensure that any post pertinent to the waitlist process will not get lost amidst all the other Booth related discussions on the main thread.

Here's hoping that all of us on this waitlist get admitted!!

Cheers!

Quote:
Past WL Threads:
- 2 Recommendations by Precision Essay
- 6 Strategies from Accepted
- 2009 WL Thread
-WL Concerns: post555683.html#555683
-Waitlist Advice: post552539.html#552539
-R2 waitlist strategy, tactics and "support": post441040.html#441040
-WL Questions: post426703.html#426703
-WL Best Practices: post422960.html#422960
-Waitlist - Best Practices Compilation 2007-8: post09580.html#409580
-The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article: post307260.html#307260
-??? for WL Process: post296333.html#296333

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by bb on 21 Dec 2011, 21:25, edited 3 times in total.
Added Links to Previous Years
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q35 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [6] , given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
Greetings fellow waitlisters, I took a trip to Chicago last week to visit some friends at Booth and do the official visit. I had not yet visited the school, and I figured showing up in person would help my case and reinforce my interest. After the info session / tour / class visit, I went back to the admissions office and was able to chat one-on-one with a member of the admissions committee. I think this really helped my case, and I would recommend a visit to anyone on the waitlist. A few things I learned...

1) the deadline for submitting any supplemental info (recs, essays, video) is 3/1
2) the initial deposit deadline for Rd 1 admitted students is like 2/24, so they'll know a lot more about the size of the class at that point
3) they are super excited about this damn video. it sounds like they really want everyone to put something together. interestingly, the person i spoke with did agree that applicants could potentially shoot themselves in the foot with the video if they weren't careful about it
4) Adcom does not like getting a bunch of additional materials that tell them nothing new; it's important that anything you submit gives them a fresh perspective or new info

During my visit I met three different students who were let in off the WL last year. Two of them told me they basically didn't add anything to their applications while on WL, and had pretty much given up before being admitted in June/July. The third submitted multiple "update" essays and an extra rec.

"the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" -William Blake

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 20 [3] , given: 44

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
New WL update on the admissions blog:

December 20
Waitlist Update
While it likely wasn’t the news you were hoping to hear, if you received a waitlist notification, please know that the waitlist is a good place to be! This round was incredibly competitive, and we were simply unable to accept every qualified applicant. We recognize that there may be some uncertainty surrounding next steps for those of you on the waitlist, so we wanted to clarify the process and new changes from last year. This will be a waiting process over the next few months but there are a few things you can do during this time, and we have listed them below.

Waitlist Enrollment Form
This is a new feature for this year, and allows candidates to immediately opt in or out of the waitlist. As with most things at Booth, this allows you to decide what is best for you, and helps us better understand who is genuinely interested in remaining on the waitlist. The waitlist enrollment form is in no way binding, and you are able to withdraw yourself from the waitlist at any time by emailing us at admissions@chicagobooth.edu.

Overall Process
Once you’ve accepted our offer to become part of the waitlist, your application will be considered for admission again in Round 2. You will receive an updated decision on March 21, 2012, our final decision date for Round 2. We will try to make a final decision by that point, but there is a possibility that you could remain on the waitlist through Round 3.

Updates, Materials, and Video
We welcome you to send us relevant updates regarding your candidacy. This information will be added to your file for future consideration by the Admissions Committee. The content and format of an update is entirely up to you, but ideally the materials you provide should add insight into your qualifications and strength of fit with Chicago Booth beyond what was presented in your original application. You can submit your updates in the “Upload Materials” section of your Applicant Status Page.

A new, optional feature this year is the ability to upload a 90-second video for the Admissions Committee. In the age of digital media, we recognize that video is a common tool of communication, and want to provide any interested candidate with the opportunity to use it. Often candidates would like to introduce themselves via a face-to-face conversation, and a video provides the opportunity to create a personal connection in lieu of visiting campus. In terms of the content - it is entirely up to you. You can submit a video in the “Portfolio” section of Applicant Status Page.

Please submit all updates by March 1, 2012.

Thank you for your continued interest in Chicago Booth. As we have updates to share, we will be in touch via email. In the meantime, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at admissions@chicagobooth.edu or 773.702.7639.

Carrie
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
I'm applying round 2 to Booth but came across this chat transcript that references over 100 people were admitted off the waitlist last year...thought it might be a positive tidbit of info for you all:

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ch ... 05-26.aspx
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [3] , given: 27

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
Got an email!! I'm in!! :-D

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

I put together a list of all R1 WLers, what they did, and what the results were. Please feel free to make edits/additions. I could not figure out a way to embed the sheet here, so for now you can access it using the link below.

If you are or were an WLer, I would encourage you to go to the sheet and add more info as appropriate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TdDYkZNOVE
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 12:58
This post received
KUDOS
Some video ideas could include:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

My take, is that this should be treated similar to your slides. Perhaps they are testing the video out to potentially replace the slides on future applications? So put something that will compliment your profile, add diversity and uniqueness, and reinforce your strengths, OR you could show something completely new that you haven't told Booth yet... Just some thoughts... Add to the list of ideas if anything else sparks your interest.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
BYURover wrote:
Some video ideas could include:

Slideshow
Music Video
TV Ad
Political Ad
Movie Spoof
Talent Show
Movie Trailer
Documentary
Mocumentary
Skit
Interview
Life-story
Eulogy
You doing your hobbies

My take, is that this should be treated similar to your slides. Perhaps they are testing the video out to potentially replace the slides on future applications? So put something that will compliment your profile, add diversity and uniqueness, and reinforce your strengths, OR you could show something completely new that you haven't told Booth yet... Just some thoughts... Add to the list of ideas if anything else sparks your interest.

Buddy, I'm not sure I get your post...
Sorry to sound like a nitwit but are you suggesting that the video could be like a movie trailer or a political ad?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
topMBA12 wrote:
Do you think there is going to be some communication from the school to Rd 1 waitlist candidates on the upcoming Rd2 mid-decision date? Or do we all hear back on the 26th of March, Rd2 deadline?
Ny ideas??

Not until the Decision date - March 21. Hopefully we get calls on the 20th!

The Waitlist materials are due March 1st, so it wouldn't be very nice of them to cut people before the deadline they gave to submit additional materials!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 44

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
peco wrote:
Thanks for the comments peeps. So do we upload documents using the "Post-Decision Materials" Tab on the application log-in page? Kindly advise. Thanks

Yep. I emailed them about this and they confirmed.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 16

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
I got the call from Eddie at 10:01 EST, I'm in. Good luck to everyone.

EDIT: If you were wondering, I did a video, visited the school (had visited in May last year), stayed in touch with Eddie in admissions and got one extra alumni support letter.

Last edited by dsg on 20 Mar 2012, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in! Missed the call at 4:02. Just submitted a video, nothing else.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 13

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
maki04q wrote:
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Congrats to all those who made it off the waitlist!

Feel like I'm the only one on this forum who didn't get the call yesterday :(... I'm just completely exhausted, I gave the application everything I had, then sent in 2 letter updates, the video (which 2 Booth alumni, including my interviewer thought would seal the deal), and also got a letter of support from my interviewer (i didn't ask, he volunteered!). I know that at this level (and my demographic - Indian Male), it's probably minutae that differentiate successful candidates from others, but it still stings bad!!
Even after all that I put in, am I not good enough for Booth? I must be, 'coz I'm on the waitlist. Then what more do I need to bring? I know its too early to tell (don't even know if I'm wait listed again yet) but this whole process has just left me so completely drained - and now I'm in that Twilight Zone where I'm seriously doubting my own abilities.

Sorry for the rant folks, but needed to get it off my chest somehow. I've just been completely distracted all this week, and not getting a call doesn't really help the cause. Not that getting the call would have made much difference (would have been more distracted!) but you know what I mean.

----------------------------
Hey, cheer up. It sounds like you definitely put in a lot of work on your app + additional materials more so than some others who got off the waitlist. MBA admission process is a crap shoot so don't take it personally. I am on the same boat (Booth R1 waitlist) and I didn't receive a call yesterday. Wherever you go, it's what you make out of it more so than where you go. You, me and everyone knows that even H/S stamped MBA doesn't promise success down the road. It must be tough but brush it off and move on. Tomorrow is another day and try to make the best out of what you have. Let's face it. I am sure you know many qualified dinged candidates with better work exp, gpa, gmat, and etc. than an avg. Booth admits. Things happen. Don't take it personally. When it comes down to picking ppl from a very talented pool, schools have all the luxury to pick and choose to make the class as diverse as possible. That surely doesn't mean you are less qualified than others who got in... it's just that the mix didn't go in your favor - that's all. Keep charging!

Hey maki04q,

Thanks for that pep talk :). Just got a mail from Chicago - Ding. Some closure to the process, though not in any way I would have liked. Anyhow, this is just all the more incentive for me to come back guns blazing next year (if, Heaven forbid, Tuck and Berkeley also spurn me, that is).

You'd think that after being dinged twice over the last 2 years, I'd give up and move on - what can I say? I'm one determined son-of-a-b#$% who does not take NO for an answer. 2011-Dinged w/interview. 2012-Dinged after waitlist. 2012/13 - Admit?

On another note - Good luck to all those who are still on the waitlist!! Hope you have good news this year :) If not, do not despair - you're welcome to join the Booth 2013 - Calling All Applicants thread - I might even be thread master :D

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
For those on the waitlist, I wanted to give you guys some clarity. Given that last year's class size is 579 and Booth historically has a 60% yield, this means they will admit ~965 people each year. I have access to their internal admit directory and it looks like 781 folks have been admitted so far which means close to 200 spots are still available. There is still a good chance that many of you will be admitted in the coming months, so keep your hopes up!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 10

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
johnnymac wrote:
I'm wondering whether any R1 waitlisters who got accepted in R2 also received scholarships from the school? Is there anyone out there who was waitlisted but then still received a scholarship?

What's the likelihood of this ocurring for R2 waitlisters?

Someone MAY have received $$ from the R1 wait list; it was unclear from his or her post. I could see the scenario where Booth offers $$ to someone they want that fills a unique profile. If that person drops out, and there is no one similar that was admitted already but there is someone similar on the wait list, Booth may shift the $$ to this person on the wait list. I think this is not a likely scenario to play out so I personally wouldn't count on $$ from a wait list standpoint. $$ is usually reserved for students the school REALLY REALLY want, and well, let's face it, if the school REALLY, REALLY wanted us we wouldn't be on the wait list. (This is not to say the school wouldn't want to have us but we are on the wait list either because there are either many people already like us that received offers and/or they are unsure about one aspect of our profile. This doesn't scream scholarship money).
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q V

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
riskylvrg wrote:
The wait is painful - you know that adcom is looking at our files this week and beginning of next week. Any other news anyone?

ps and yes, the uploading is the end of the process.

Only update I can provide is that the number of admitted students in the director is now around 630. Not surprisingly, this number has declined a bit following the Wharton and HBS deposit deadlines.

There may be some people who are on wait lists at other schools, paid deposits at multiple schools and have yet to decide, or may decide to skip b-school altogether. I have no idea how to estimate that number...could be 5%, could be 25%.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
riskylvrg wrote:
And are you sure you can add yourself to the directory without paying the deposit? Maybe we are paying too much attention to the non-issue? How does one get added to the directory?

xzeppelin wrote:
jerrykid wrote:
With deposit deadlines for Wharton, Stanford, Harvard due in May, the waitlist picture would be clearer around June, 1st.

With 630 students in the directory, and class size of 570, at least 10.0% of the students must drop out of list. That number seems quite impossible.

You can add yourself to the directory before you actually pay any deposit. It's likely that they just haven't gotten around to cleaning out the directory of students who never paid their deposit.

I did not add myself to the directory. I believe it automatically populates with your information once you are admitted. You can only get to the directory via the admitted students portal. You do not have to pay a deposit to be in the directory. However, I believe once you decline Booth's admission offer (either officially or by just not responding) then you are are removed from the directory. I don't think that Booth has finished clearing out people who paid the deposit in R1 but forfeited the offer in R2. I do know that applicants who declined Booth outright are no longer listed.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 10

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
riskylvrg wrote:
Not sure what you mean by below and how it provides additional space for WLers. In May 30 people will elect to stay on the WL or not, on June 1st deposits will be posted and a few of us might get off the WL after that. But how are people getting off the WL now? As far as i understand, all schools will be admitting WL-ers on R3 deadline which is coming next week for all schools. So, how are they getting off the WL?

do you have a link to the thread?

Consulting2Finance wrote:
It's a bit of a black box, but it seems the R3 WL deposits are due May 30. Around that time people who were not admitted or dinged today will be able to elect to stay on the wait list or not. There may or may not be a round of decisions, both good and bad before this deadline, based on last year. Admissions are pretty much rolling from here until whenever for those that stay on the wait list. This seems to be the norm for summer wait list candidates.

I have yet to speak to my manager; this is based mostly off what others who have relayed in the Kellogg WL thread.

Wharton's R3 decision date was May 8. Kellogg's is May 16, but the R1/R2 waitlist update date was today. People are getting off those lists based on two things: 1) number of admitted students in R2 who didn't pay the deposit and forfeited their spot 2) being compared against R3 applicants for the remaining few spots and beating them out.

People that don't get in but move to the summer waitlist will likely only get in after R3 deposit deadlines, which are late May/early June.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
Sifting through the speculation on this thread was causing me to start to loose hope. That is, until I reviewed my update video (which was pretty awesome, if i do say so myself :-D ) and reread my update letter (equally as awesome). At the end of the day, at least we should all be able to say that we put our best foot forward.

LET'S NOT LOOSE HOPE PEOPLE!!! :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not sure if last year is any indication, but R3 calls didn't start going out until after 3:00 CST. Don't be surprised if no one hears anything for a while.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants   [#permalink] 15 May 2012, 07:28