Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 11:17
Crosstown wrote:
DJOnion wrote:
Congrats to everyone who made it through the grueling process and came out of the other side alive.

It's nice to have a decision to make over Christmas - anyone else considering their options?

Hey DJ, I applied to almost the same mix of schools as you and it has come down to Booth vs CBS for me. Will be going back and forth over the next few weeks.

What do you think stood out with each school? I don't think there is a wrong choice with M7 schools, but there might be a 'righter' choice depending on your personal preferences. I wrote CBS off as I didn't want to live in NYC (some people would think I'm mad!).
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 13:24
DJOnion wrote:
Crosstown wrote:
DJOnion wrote:
Congrats to everyone who made it through the grueling process and came out of the other side alive.

It's nice to have a decision to make over Christmas - anyone else considering their options?

Hey DJ, I applied to almost the same mix of schools as you and it has come down to Booth vs CBS for me. Will be going back and forth over the next few weeks.

What do you think stood out with each school? I don't think there is a wrong choice with M7 schools, but there might be a 'righter' choice depending on your personal preferences. I wrote CBS off as I didn't want to live in NYC (some people would think I'm mad!).

Agree, can't go wrong with any M7. It is all about fit.

I like the academic focus of Booth as part of the parent university. Access to that quality of instructor would be great. I live in NYC now but would like to move somewhere else post-school, and Chicago is near the top of the list for US cities. The school's brand is on the upswing now and I think that counts for something. I want to interact with the student body firsthand as I haven't been too thrilled with people I have met so far. Also the seemingly less-connected alumni base is a big turnoff.

On the CBS side, perhaps the biggest plus is the student body. I have met a lot of students and visited campus and the vibe is great. Very social, out-going and friendly people. I like the core + electives model and CBS has a great catalogue of electives. The profs seem top notch, lacking some Nobels in comparison, but very good instructors which matters in the end. I get the sense that CBS would be better for career exploration (NYC has everything) but I definitely will have to learn more about Booth's resources.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 15:29
Congrats to all the admits! The hard part (kind of) is over.

I saw some questions in terms of where most Booth students live. Most of us (~50% of the student body) live in The Loop and the most popular building is Millennium Park Plaza but buildings such as Columbus Plaza, Coast, Tides, and North Harbor Tower are popular as well.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Again, welcome to Booth!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 11:35
Does anyone planning to bring a car and drive to school? How common do students drive to school?

For those who drive to school, where do they typically live?
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 15:31
Has anyone gotten the acceptance package yet?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 69

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 15:40
HBS13aspirant wrote:
Does anyone planning to bring a car and drive to school? How common do students drive to school?

I'm not sure what the exact stats are, but my estimate is that only 10-15% of students have cars in the city. The vast majority of those already lived in Chicago and had established themselves in areas less common for Boothies to dwell or have children. In general, having a car is probably not cost effective. Car payment, insurance, fuel, and $150-250/mo for parking (at home, add more for a school pass) could approach $1,000/mo. Alternatively, a Metra pass and CTA pass (rare to need both), occasional Zipcar use, and even moderate to heavy use of cabs for social outings might run $300-400/mo and probably much less. Chicago is easy to navigate via transit as well as being fairly compact and cabs are readily available.

If you have a deep emotional attachment to your car or are living somewhere which makes transit inconvenient, go ahead and bring the car. You'll be fine. Otherwise, most people seem much happier without.
Current Student

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 15:43
brandon432 wrote:
HBS13aspirant wrote:

I'm not sure what the exact stats are, but my estimate is that only 10-15% of students have cars in the city. The vast majority of those already lived in Chicago and had established themselves in areas less common for Boothies to dwell or have children. In general, having a car is probably not cost effective. Car payment, insurance, fuel, and $150-250/mo for parking (at home, add more for a school pass) could approach $1,000/mo. Alternatively, a Metra pass and CTA pass (rare to need both), occasional Zipcar use, and even moderate to heavy use of cabs for social outings might run $300-400/mo and probably much less. Chicago is easy to navigate via transit as well as being fairly compact and cabs are readily available.

If you have a deep emotional attachment to your car or are living somewhere which makes transit inconvenient, go ahead and bring the car. You'll be fine. Otherwise, most people seem much happier without.

Thanks, Brandon. This is helpful. I may just sell my car to fund my education at Booth. I also heard that to get around the Chicago area (outside of downtown), it's helpful to have a car.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 99

Kudos [?]: 404 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 16:01
This post received
KUDOS
I have my car and I can't imagine not having it here. I live in the South Loop and have a parking space in my building that costs $100/month. I will admit that street parking in Chicago is a money pit. However, I don't have a car payment and pay less than $75/month for insurance so it's worth it to me to have the convenience of my car. I rarely take the metra, but will hop on the subway or a bus when CTA is more convenient than looking for street parking.

I know people with cars who live in a bunch of different neighborhoods (The Loop, SLoop, Streeterville, Hyde Park, Wicker Park, etc.). I think it's really a matter of preference. You'll be fine without one, but you'll also be fine with one.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 12:16
To follow up on Cheetarah's comment, plenty of students do not have cars and get along fine. I didn't being my car but I thought it. In the end, I didn't want to worry about finding parking on campus or paying the large parking fee for my building (garage parking in Chicago can easily be $200+ a month). However, there are plenty of students who do bring their cars if you need to go to Costco or want a ride to or from campus.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 99

Kudos [?]: 404 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
urarunner2 wrote:
To follow up on Cheetarah's comment, plenty of students do not have cars and get along fine. I didn't being my car but I thought it. In the end, I didn't want to worry about finding parking on campus or paying the large parking fee for my building (garage parking in Chicago can easily be $200+ a month). However, there are plenty of students who do bring their cars if you need to go to Costco or want a ride to or from campus.

You owe me gas money, Reese's peanut butter cups, and Skittles.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.14
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 22:04
My hearty congratulations to everyone here!

I have a few questions on the total program cost/financing and I was hoping someone could address them:
1. Besides the $60k tuition fee, what are the other MBA associated costs (books, medical insurance, administration fees, miscellaneous fees etc.)?
2. Why is health insurance so high at Booth ($3k)?
3. I haven't received any scholarship with my offer but I was wondering if there is any other way to get scholarship now?
4. What is the general % interest for private loans processed by the financial aid office?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 07:44
ayushs wrote:
My hearty congratulations to everyone here!

I have a few questions on the total program cost/financing and I was hoping someone could address them:
1. Besides the $60k tuition fee, what are the other MBA associated costs (books, medical insurance, administration fees, miscellaneous fees etc.)?
2. Why is health insurance so high at Booth ($3k)?
3. I haven't received any scholarship with my offer but I was wondering if there is any other way to get scholarship now?
4. What is the general % interest for private loans processed by the financial aid office?

Thanks!

I may be able to help you out with the scholarship/funding part:
1. Visit the USIEF scholarship site. They offer many scholarships to graduate programs.
2. Apply for the KC Mahindra Scholarship for post graduate studies abroad & also the Mahindra fellows fund.
3. SBI offers loans upto Rs30,00,000 with interest ~12%.
4. Interest rates for loan without cosigners would be around 8%.
5. Try asking the Financial Aid office for a loan from their endowment fund. These may have lower interest rates.
6. Global Student Loan Corporation offers loans for the entire tuition cost.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 37

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 16:50
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
urarunner2 wrote:

You owe me gas money, Reese's peanut butter cups, and Skittles.

My charming personality more than makes up for the lack of gas money. I ate the peanut butter cups and Skittles.
Current Student

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 07:48
HBS13aspirant wrote:

Thanks, Brandon. This is helpful. I may just sell my car to fund my education at Booth. I also heard that to get around the Chicago area (outside of downtown), it's helpful to have a car.

Even outside of downtown (Loop/River North), transit works well and cabs are readily available. For running errands and getting out of the city, a car is very helpful. I use a Zipcar about twice/mo ($10/hr) for Target, Costco, and large grocery runs. My wife and I have rented a car several times to get away for the weekend to Milwaukee, Michigan, etc.

Check out this website to get a better idea of any housing you're looking at. http://www.walkscore.com/
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 23:38
I am starting to look at housing at the Loop. From last year's post, I read that 1 bedroom at MPP goes for around $1,400-1,500 per month. How much do the studios cost?

Based on some reviews, I also see that there is renovation going on which can be loud at times. Any current students living in MPP can share their experience? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 111

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 09:29
Hi All,
Congrats to every one who got admitted to booth or who are in the wait list. I am a booth aspirant,and I'll apply for R1 in 2014. Can you all please share your profile and scores so that aspirants like me can get benefited?. Once again, a mighty congratulation to each one of you :-D

C'est la vie

Current Student

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 08:44
mshrek wrote:
Hi All,
Congrats to every one who got admitted to booth or who are in the wait list. I am a booth aspirant,and I'll apply for R1 in 2014. Can you all please share your profile and scores so that aspirants like me can get benefited?. Once again, a mighty congratulation to each one of you :-D

Page 1 of the "Calling All Applicants" thread has data (self-reported) on the GPA, GMAT score, application status, and candidate-by-candidate profile info. I think that's what you're looking for.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/booth-chicago-calling-all-applicants-class-of-151305.html
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 10:56
humulus wrote:
Has anyone gotten the acceptance package yet?

I actually forgot about this and just thought about it now. I am yet to receive anything in the mail. Anyone else?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.85
WE: Business Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 08:59
Anyone know when the R2 Admit weekend is scheduled for?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 69

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
4/24-27

Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2014, 11:22