Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
domotron wrote:
To those who interviewed with alums, were you matched with specific alums whose careers match your career goal? I was and wondered whether that was just luck of the draw or intended.

I think it is based on availability.

Maybe a component of having something in common if possible - my match up didn't work out like that though.

I'm sure if you give me a couple weeks though, I'll start to read into it and convince myself that maybe it was a positive or negative sign. An idle mind...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
WhatsInYourBackpack wrote:
domotron wrote:
To those who interviewed with alums, were you matched with specific alums whose careers match your career goal? I was and wondered whether that was just luck of the draw or intended.

I think it is based on availability.

Maybe a component of having something in common if possible - my match up didn't work out like that though.

I'm sure if you give me a couple weeks though, I'll start to read into it and convince myself that maybe it was a positive or negative sign. An idle mind...

Agreed - I think it's based on availability. My interviewer did have a background in consulting, which I'm currently in and plan to stay in, but she was focused on a completely different industry. That commonality didn't add much to the conversation. (Especially because she didn't participate in the consulting-focused clubs, labs, etc)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
For those who did an on-campus interview on Saturday, did any of you send thank you emails to your interviewer? I didn't happen to grab my interviewer's card, but I suppose I could find his contact info online if I needed to.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Getting ready for business: An SBSP Story

As a newly minted college graduate, Chicago Booth student Luis Nanes was looking to round out his general business skills after graduating from Universidad Iberoamericana with a degree in Industrial Engineering. He was also curious to learn more about the MBA degree and determine whether or not it was for him. Nanes had heard of Chicago Booth, and discovered the Summer Business Scholars Program after doing some research on the school. He felt that the three-week program was a perfect option for him to get an inside view of life as an MBA student.

The Summer Business Scholars Program (SBSP) was created in 2007 in response to growing interest from current undergraduate students and early career professionals who were curious to learn more about the MBA Program and pick up some applicable business skills. It was designed to provide a window into our world, a chance to test the waters while still a few years away from graduate school. True to University of Chicago tradition, it was also structured to provide a stellar academic experience.

It was Chicago that first impressed Nanes. “When I came to Chicago, I really fell in love,” he said. “It was summertime and the weather was beautiful.” SBSP scholars arrive in mid-July and stay through the first week of August. They live together downtown, within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile, some of Chicago’s best beaches and Lake Michigan. It’s not a bad place to be for three weeks!

Once he arrived at Booth, Nanes dove into the coursework. SBSP features three courses  we consider fundamental towards understanding the nature of business: accounting, finance and marketing. Nanes found the marketing course to be particularly helpful; as an engineering student marketing wasn’t something he had previous experience with. “It was a case-based course,” he explained, and provided a “whole different approach from what I had been used to in my home program.” In addition to coursework, SBSP also focuses on leadership development and enhanced self-awareness. We bring in our team from LEAD to facilitate a leadership exercise with the students as well as sponsor sessions on networking, business etiquette and perfecting your professional “pitch.” For Nanes, the networking piece was key. “Networking is essential in your everyday life,” he said. It’s important to meet people from different backgrounds and settings in order to reach your goals. SBSP helped me get the skills to do it.”

Above all, Nanes cites the people he met in SBSP as the biggest gain from doing the program, as well as being instrumental in his decision to return to Chicago Booth as an MBA student later on. “The participants in SBSP are very similar to the ones I am with right now in my MBA Program,” he commented. “I can describe them as very proactive. They want to change the world. They want to have an impact on other people’s lives.”

If you’re curious to see how business skills can change the world, or simply want to further your interest in a particular field, you might want to consider taking a similar path to Nanes. To learn more about this unique opportunity, Applications to #SBSP2014 are being accepted now through early May.

Best, Meghan

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
Speedchaser9 wrote:
For those who did an on-campus interview on Saturday, did any of you send thank you emails to your interviewer? I didn't happen to grab my interviewer's card, but I suppose I could find his contact info online if I needed to.

Yes, I sent a thank you email to my interviewer. I interviewed on campus for the Super Saturday, this past Saturday.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
Speedchaser9 wrote:

Yes, I sent a thank you email to my interviewer. I interviewed on campus for the Super Saturday, this past Saturday.

My interviewer didn't give me a card until I asked for it at the end; I emailed a quick thank you note on the ride back to the hotel.

Doesn't cost much, and it covers your bases.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Are all of the on campus interviews led by students, or do adcoms do some as well?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
chromium73 wrote:
Are all of the on campus interviews led by students, or do adcoms do some as well?

All students as far as I know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
bdepp wrote:
chromium73 wrote:

All students as far as I know.

A person in the admissions office said to me it would be mainly students but that adcom could chip in to conduct a few.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Hi,

If we're asked in interview about which schools we've applied to in R1, and what have results been so far- what's the best way to handle it? Be honest?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

If we're asked in interview about which schools we've applied to in R1, and what have results been so far- what's the best way to handle it? Be honest?

I've been in 3 interviews, and that has never come up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

Be honest and do not speak badly of any other program. They fully expect their candidates to have other leads. If I was a student interviewer I would love to hear that the applicant I am interviewing has also interviewed at other peer schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

It never came up in my interview but I would definitely be truthful. Just give your reasons why you applied to those other schools.
Director
Director
Send PM
Blax0r wrote:
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

I've been in 3 interviews, and that has never come up.

I was asked this in my Kellogg interview this year and last year by LBS. I answered it truthfully.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
domotron wrote:
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

It never came up in my interview but I would definitely be truthful. Just give your reasons why you applied to those other schools.

Def came up in 1 + might have come up in another one as well (can't remember exactly) - total non-issue

Agree with this and the others who said it.

reasons?
1) These are people too. They get it.
2) Adcom person (not at booth) - brought it up as advice to the people at the session, saying that they can see who you gave score report access to so why even give a second thought to answering a question about where you are thinking
3) My personal take: Honesty is the best policy.
Director
Director
Send PM
WhatsInYourBackpack wrote:
domotron wrote:
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

Def came up in 1 + might have come up in another one as well (can't remember exactly) - total non-issue

Agree with this and the others who said it.

reasons?
1) These are people too. They get it.
2) Adcom person (not at booth) - brought it up as advice to the people at the session, saying that they can see who you gave score report access to so why even give a second thought to answering a question about where you are thinking
3) My personal take: Honesty is the best policy.

The other reason I've heard interviewers give for asking is that they want to see that you've been thoughtful about the schools where you've applied, and not just applied to every school under the sun.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Cheers, London!

We were treated to terrific weather and a multitude of light displays and other holiday fanfare during our recent journey to London for candidate interviews. One of the things we learned on this trip is that London celebrates the holiday season early (at least earlier than us Americans!). We felt the holiday spirit from the airport to the busy shopping streets to the festively decorated Carnaby Street in a celebration of the year of the robin.

Despite the natural desire that kicked in right away to explore the
streets of London capturing great photos like this one of St. Paul's Cathedral, we did arrive in London with a purpose: to spend this past Saturday meeting and interviewing our European Round One applicants. Some came from close by, in and around London, and others made the trek from cities like Paris, Madrid, and Tel Aviv to interview with Booth alumni. We were able to catch up with many applicants we met on the road during our travels around the world this fall, and even some we had met in Chicago while visiting our campus. We were so happy to see them continue their MBA journey with Booth.

Interviews were conducted on our beautiful campus right in the heart of London at Woolgate Exchange. Our alumni were our co-hosts for the day offering their time to interview and to share their #WhyBooth stories and experiences over lunch, both in Chicago as students and as alumni living and working in London. Our alumni volunteers included former Admissions Fellows, and active members of the London alumni community, including our alumni club president. The local club has already began making plans to welcome the new admits in December.

Our interview day felt more like a social event than a day of interviews thanks to our alumni community. What’s great about interviewing with Chicago Booth, whether in Hyde Park or at one of our other interview cities, is the opportunity to engage with alumni or students. We encourage our interviewees to learn as much as possible from our community so that at the end of their interview experience, they’ve gotten as much out of their day as they put into it.

As our interviews continue on (this week Carrie and Eddie are heading to Sao Paulo while Danielle and Michelle have just landed in Shanghai), we encourage you to make the most of YOUR interview day. 

Best of luck to everyone!

Joanne & Donna
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts