Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
forreal402 wrote:
Does anyone know if the 2nd year MBAs who conduct the interviews already have your resume before hand (if so, how much time do they have it for)? If not, what do people think about using a more up to date / overhauled version of the resume than the one that was submitted with the application?

Just looking for thoughts? I think my revised resume is much better, but I don't want to confuse the adcom or shed any doubt that Booth is a school that I want to go to.

My interviewer already had my resume when I walked into the room today for my interview but I don't know how long she had it.

If you have an updated resume, you should email it to the Adcom right away, with a note explaining what the changes are. I did that last week, and the the admissions office happily updated my file.
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 131 [2] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview today for the Super Saturday on campus at Booth. I was surprised how many other applicants were waiting in the waiting room for 10AM interviews. There were also 3 or 4 current Boothies milling around, talking to applicants.

My interviewer asked me the following questions (I may be forgetting a couple):

1) Walk me through your resume
2) Tell me about a successful leadership experience
3) Tell me about a leadership experience that led to failure
4) Tell me how you deal with conflicts
5) Give me an example of how you responded to feedback
6) Why MBA?
7) What classes and activities are you looking forward to at Booth?
8) What do you like to do for fun?
9) What do you want to do after Booth? What type of role do you want?
10) Are there any professors you know of at Booth?
11) What's the best place you've traveled to?
12) Is there anything else you wish I had asked?
13) Any questions for me?

I felt a very good rapport with my interviewer and I think that may be why a couple of my questions were a bit more personal in nature than others have reported. My interview lasted exactly 45 minutes and overall, it was a great experience.

Good luck everyone.
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 01:49
To those who interviewed with alums, were you matched with specific alums whose careers match your career goal? I was and wondered whether that was just luck of the draw or intended.

*Updated 30th May*: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 14:32
domotron wrote:
To those who interviewed with alums, were you matched with specific alums whose careers match your career goal? I was and wondered whether that was just luck of the draw or intended.

I think it is based on availability.

Maybe a component of having something in common if possible - my match up didn't work out like that though.

I'm sure if you give me a couple weeks though, I'll start to read into it and convince myself that maybe it was a positive or negative sign. An idle mind...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 10:44
WhatsInYourBackpack wrote:
domotron wrote:

I think it is based on availability.

Maybe a component of having something in common if possible - my match up didn't work out like that though.

I'm sure if you give me a couple weeks though, I'll start to read into it and convince myself that maybe it was a positive or negative sign. An idle mind...

Agreed - I think it's based on availability. My interviewer did have a background in consulting, which I'm currently in and plan to stay in, but she was focused on a completely different industry. That commonality didn't add much to the conversation. (Especially because she didn't participate in the consulting-focused clubs, labs, etc)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.42

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 10:54
For those who did an on-campus interview on Saturday, did any of you send thank you emails to your interviewer? I didn't happen to grab my interviewer's card, but I suppose I could find his contact info online if I needed to.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 11:00
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Getting ready for business: An SBSP Story
As a newly minted college graduate, Chicago Booth student Luis Nanes was looking to round out his general business skills after graduating from Universidad Iberoamericana with a degree in Industrial Engineering. He was also curious to learn more about the MBA degree and determine whether or not it was for him. Nanes had heard of Chicago Booth, and discovered the Summer Business Scholars Program after doing some research on the school. He felt that the three-week program was a perfect option for him to get an inside view of life as an MBA student.

The Summer Business Scholars Program (SBSP) was created in 2007 in response to growing interest from current undergraduate students and early career professionals who were curious to learn more about the MBA Program and pick up some applicable business skills. It was designed to provide a window into our world, a chance to test the waters while still a few years away from graduate school. True to University of Chicago tradition, it was also structured to provide a stellar academic experience.

It was Chicago that first impressed Nanes. “When I came to Chicago, I really fell in love,” he said. “It was summertime and the weather was beautiful.” SBSP scholars arrive in mid-July and stay through the first week of August. They live together downtown, within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile, some of Chicago’s best beaches and Lake Michigan. It’s not a bad place to be for three weeks!

Once he arrived at Booth, Nanes dove into the coursework. SBSP features three courses  we consider fundamental towards understanding the nature of business: accounting, finance and marketing. Nanes found the marketing course to be particularly helpful; as an engineering student marketing wasn’t something he had previous experience with. “It was a case-based course,” he explained, and provided a “whole different approach from what I had been used to in my home program.” In addition to coursework, SBSP also focuses on leadership development and enhanced self-awareness. We bring in our team from LEAD to facilitate a leadership exercise with the students as well as sponsor sessions on networking, business etiquette and perfecting your professional “pitch.” For Nanes, the networking piece was key. “Networking is essential in your everyday life,” he said. It’s important to meet people from different backgrounds and settings in order to reach your goals. SBSP helped me get the skills to do it.”

Above all, Nanes cites the people he met in SBSP as the biggest gain from doing the program, as well as being instrumental in his decision to return to Chicago Booth as an MBA student later on. “The participants in SBSP are very similar to the ones I am with right now in my MBA Program,” he commented. “I can describe them as very proactive. They want to change the world. They want to have an impact on other people’s lives.”

If you’re curious to see how business skills can change the world, or simply want to further your interest in a particular field, you might want to consider taking a similar path to Nanes. To learn more about this unique opportunity, Applications to #SBSP2014 are being accepted now through early May.

Best, Meghan

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 12:11
Speedchaser9 wrote:
For those who did an on-campus interview on Saturday, did any of you send thank you emails to your interviewer? I didn't happen to grab my interviewer's card, but I suppose I could find his contact info online if I needed to.

Yes, I sent a thank you email to my interviewer. I interviewed on campus for the Super Saturday, this past Saturday.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 12:19
Ward2012 wrote:
Speedchaser9 wrote:

Yes, I sent a thank you email to my interviewer. I interviewed on campus for the Super Saturday, this past Saturday.

My interviewer didn't give me a card until I asked for it at the end; I emailed a quick thank you note on the ride back to the hotel.

Doesn't cost much, and it covers your bases.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 19:04
Are all of the on campus interviews led by students, or do adcoms do some as well?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 19:05
chromium73 wrote:
Are all of the on campus interviews led by students, or do adcoms do some as well?

All students as far as I know.
HBS Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 67

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 21:12
bdepp wrote:
chromium73 wrote:

All students as far as I know.

A person in the admissions office said to me it would be mainly students but that adcom could chip in to conduct a few.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 35

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 09:43
Hi,

If we're asked in interview about which schools we've applied to in R1, and what have results been so far- what's the best way to handle it? Be honest?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:07
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

If we're asked in interview about which schools we've applied to in R1, and what have results been so far- what's the best way to handle it? Be honest?

I've been in 3 interviews, and that has never come up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:08
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

Be honest and do not speak badly of any other program. They fully expect their candidates to have other leads. If I was a student interviewer I would love to hear that the applicant I am interviewing has also interviewed at other peer schools.
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:20
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

It never came up in my interview but I would definitely be truthful. Just give your reasons why you applied to those other schools.

*Updated 30th May*: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 11:11
Blax0r wrote:
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

I've been in 3 interviews, and that has never come up.

I was asked this in my Kellogg interview this year and last year by LBS. I answered it truthfully.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 6

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
domotron wrote:
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

It never came up in my interview but I would definitely be truthful. Just give your reasons why you applied to those other schools.

Def came up in 1 + might have come up in another one as well (can't remember exactly) - total non-issue

Agree with this and the others who said it.

reasons?
1) These are people too. They get it.
2) Adcom person (not at booth) - brought it up as advice to the people at the session, saying that they can see who you gave score report access to so why even give a second thought to answering a question about where you are thinking
3) My personal take: Honesty is the best policy.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 12:07
WhatsInYourBackpack wrote:
domotron wrote:
Beckham123 wrote:
Hi,

Def came up in 1 + might have come up in another one as well (can't remember exactly) - total non-issue

Agree with this and the others who said it.

reasons?
1) These are people too. They get it.
2) Adcom person (not at booth) - brought it up as advice to the people at the session, saying that they can see who you gave score report access to so why even give a second thought to answering a question about where you are thinking
3) My personal take: Honesty is the best policy.

The other reason I've heard interviewers give for asking is that they want to see that you've been thoughtful about the schools where you've applied, and not just applied to every school under the sun.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 15:00
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Cheers, London!
We were treated to terrific weather and a multitude of light displays and other holiday fanfare during our recent journey to London for candidate interviews. One of the things we learned on this trip is that London celebrates the holiday season early (at least earlier than us Americans!). We felt the holiday spirit from the airport to the busy shopping streets to the festively decorated Carnaby Street in a celebration of the year of the robin.

Despite the natural desire that kicked in right away to explore the Image
streets of London capturing great photos like this one of St. Paul's Cathedral, we did arrive in London with a purpose: to spend this past Saturday meeting and interviewing our European Round One applicants. Some came from close by, in and around London, and others made the trek from cities like Paris, Madrid, and Tel Aviv to interview with Booth alumni. We were able to catch up with many applicants we met on the road during our travels around the world this fall, and even some we had met in Chicago while visiting our campus. We were so happy to see them continue their MBA journey with Booth.

Interviews were conducted on our beautiful campus right in the heart of London at Woolgate Exchange. Our alumni were our co-hosts for the day offering their time to interview and to share their #WhyBooth stories and experiences over lunch, both in Chicago as students and as alumni living and working in London. Our alumni volunteers included former Admissions Fellows, and active members of the London alumni community, including our alumni club president. The local club has already began making plans to welcome the new admits in December.

Our interview day felt more like a social event than a day of interviews thanks to our alumni community. What’s great about interviewing with Chicago Booth, whether in Hyde Park or at one of our other interview cities, is the opportunity to engage with alumni or students. We encourage our interviewees to learn as much as possible from our community so that at the end of their interview experience, they’ve gotten as much out of their day as they put into it.

As our interviews continue on (this week Carrie and Eddie are heading to Sao Paulo while Danielle and Michelle have just landed in Shanghai), we encourage you to make the most of YOUR interview day. 

Best of luck to everyone!

Joanne & Donna
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2013, 15:00