Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Beckham123 wrote:
"This is also the fourth time in a row that Chicago has ranked ahead of Wharton on the Poets&Quants list, giving slightly more credence to the view that it is no longer H/S/W at the top, but rather H/S/C. Wharton was the only Top 10 school that saw a decline in applications for the Class of 2015. It's applicant pool shrunk by 5.8% this past year, while Chicago Booth reported the biggest percentage boost in applications of any Top 10 school--a healthy 9.9% that actually made Chicago slightly more selective than Wharton for the first time."

What do you guys think?

The whole exercise is just splitting hairs between the top fraction of the top 1 percent of b-schools. Think about the big picture--there are hundreds of b-schools in the US alone. Realize that if you are arguing about spots in the top ten then you are basically taking a magnifying glass to the extreme right tail of the distribution of schools, and at the end of the day what P&Q says about Wharton vs Chicago or Harvard vs Stanford is pretty meaningless.

Consider as well that these lists are obsessed over by applicants and current students, and probably recent alums, but once you get into industry nobody really cares about them. Talk to people outside the application process and they have a MUCH different view of which schools are good. A lot of it (just to relay my own experience) is based on how great the institution is as a whole, not just the b-school (e.g. my parents thought Yale SOM was hot s*** even though it's not really in line with H/S/W/C/whatever).

Lastly, consider that the year-to-year rankings are just noise (despite what John Byrne says about it in his article--it's not like he's doing anything fancy, computing a weighted average doesn't exactly turn him into Nate Silver). The reputation of a school is built over decades and is not so transient that one guy's opinion a few years in a row is going to mean much in the long run.

Sorry if this post sounds cynical or something, I didn't mean to throw cold water on your question. But the rankings all kind of bug me -- a school's greatness is not define relative to any other school, it should be able to stand on its own.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Heyy anybody know when "the calls" are suppose to start going out.

The waiting is unfortunately starting to get to me...

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
No idea about this year. Last year, the earliest calls went out maybe 1 day before the official deadline notification day (and some day of). That deadline is 12/19 this year. Trust me, if you start getting worked up now, in 12 days, you'll be a mess. Take it easy; focus on work and any holiday travel you might have coming up. Anything but this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
brandon432 wrote:
No idea about this year. Last year, the earliest calls went out maybe 1 day before the official deadline notification day (and some day of). That deadline is 12/19 this year. Trust me, if you start getting worked up now, in 12 days, you'll be a mess. Take it easy; focus on work and any holiday travel you might have coming up. Anything but this.

Thanks for the input. And totally agree with your perspective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [4]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
Calls will go out on the 18th and everyone will know by the 19th. Best of luck to everyone! It's an incredibly stressful process and I remember checking my phone every 5 minutes the day before. Like Brandon432 says, find a way to relax. I suggest adult beverages - either you are already in the mood to celebrate or you can use them to drown your sorrows.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Power of the Booth Network in Shanghai

Understanding the power of the Booth network is being half way around the world and being comfortable with new friends by your side. My colleague, Danielle, and I recently returned from an incredible trip to Shanghai for Round One interviews.  We were treated to excellent weather, great company, and a breath taking view of the Bund from our hotel room.

While there, we didn’t miss the opportunity to experience the famous World Trade Center from 101 floors above ground, see Chenghuang Miao – the "City God Temple," and explore Zhujiajiao, commonly referred to as “water town." All of this thanks to Sonia, an amazing host for our trip, who we met via one of our alumni in Shanghai.

We hosted our Round One interviewees at Bain & Company with the help of many members of the Booth alumni community. Candidates traveled to Shanghai from Hong Kong, Beijing, Singapore, Melbourne and more – each excited to interview with Booth alumni and hear their #WhyBooth stories. As we mingled with the applicants during lunch, we met three new friends pouring over a map discussing their plans to take a “random walk” around Shanghai later that evening so that they could get to know each other better. The passion for Booth and desire to build community before even being admitted was apparent throughout the two days we spent together. One applicant summed up the experience of traveling to Shanghai for interviews nicely in her email when she wrote, “I didn't expect I could have made friends with other Booth applicants on the interview day. It's amazing.”

We also had the pleasure of meeting Eugene, the Shanghai alumni club president. In addition to owning a private equity fund in Shanghai, he also owns the brand “The Voice” of China. Having been a fan of the show since its inception in the U.S. several years ago, I really enjoyed meeting him.

While in China, we were able to connect with many other alumni who have been instrumental in helping us grow the Booth community. They reminisced about Chicago Booth – how it impacted their careers, what they miss most about living in Chicago, and how dedicated they are to sustaining the strong Booth brand in China. These alumni are eager to welcome new admits to their network later this month, and that will surely include an invitation to their monthly gatherings for drinks and conversation. Last month they dedicated their night out to celebrating the recent Nobel of Professor Eugene Fama.

Overall, Danielle and I spent five days connecting with alumni and stepping outside our comfort zones – trying new things from the local cuisine and overcoming a fear of heights. Even halfway across the globe, the world can be a very small place. The experience we had during our visit to Shanghai wouldn’t have been as incredible as it was if it weren’t for the connections we had with Booth alumni, and an amazing group of passionate interviewees.

That is the power of the Booth network around the world.

All the best,

Michelle
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
urarunner2 wrote:
Calls will go out on the 18th and everyone will know by the 19th. Best of luck to everyone! It's an incredibly stressful process and I remember checking my phone every 5 minutes the day before. Like Brandon432 says, find a way to relax. I suggest adult beverages - either you are already in the mood to celebrate or you can use them to drown your sorrows.

Great post. Heard Booth is good at "Adult Beverages". :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
TechWithNoExp wrote:
urarunner2 wrote:

Great post. Heard Booth is good at "Adult Beverages". :)

Oh yes, I have heard a lot about Thursday Night Drinking Clubs and Liquidity Preference Function too!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Upcoming Opportunities to Meet Booth Students

As Admissions Directors, we often discuss how the community at Chicago Booth is vibrant, diverse, and unique. But you can’t just take our word for it. The best way to get a feel for the community here at Booth is by interacting with the people that live it every day, our students. If you are preparing a Round Two application, or are just considering an MBA, it’s never too early to engage with our students and get a taste of what being a “Boothie” is all about.

In the coming weeks, there are many ways to meet students and engage with the larger Booth community that we hope you’ll explore.

Worldwide Student-Hosted Events: Very soon our students will be leaving campus for winter break. Whether interning in new cities, taking an adventure trip with friends, or visiting family in their hometowns, they will spend a part of their break hosting events with their classmates for prospective students interested in learning more about Booth. These informal events will give you the opportunity to discover more about the Booth experience from the student perspective, and meet other MBA hopefuls. New events will be posted to our website daily, so check back often and register for one in your city!

Booth Live: Join us for a full day of programming at Booth Live on January 24. Experience the Chicago Approach in a class session with our faculty, get your questions answered in a Q&A with the Admissions Committee, and of course, spend the majority of the day with our students over lunch, tours and a student panel. End the day at our traditional on campus happy hour, the Liquidity Preference Function (LPF) with the student body. Booth Live is meant for you to immerse yourself in the student experience. Registration for Booth Live will open later this month.

Campus Visit Program: We invite you year round to come to our campus and experience a day in the life for yourself! Sit in on a class, check out our amazing facilities, have lunch with students, and get your questions answered in an admissions information session. The campus visit program offers abbreviated and full visit programs. Visit our website for schedule options and to register.

Chicago Conversations: Join us at these unique events that bring alumni, industry experts, staff and prospective students together in cities around the world. Chicago Conversations events feature industry-specific topics through the lens of Chicago-style thinking. Consider joining us for a lively, engaging, insightful conversation. Learn more about upcoming events in New York, Shanghai, San Francisco and Boston.

If you can’t come to campus, or there isn’t a winter event in your city, consider reaching out to our International Country Captains. Connect with these Booth students from around the world and learn about life at Booth and beyond. You can find a list of our country captains and their contact information here.

Another great resource is The Booth Experience. Talk directly to our students via @TheBoothExp on twitter or just check out their blog to learn more about the day to day at Booth.

Our students are eager to share their #WhyBooth experiences with you, and there is no better way to learn about the Booth community than by taking advantage of the above opportunities to meet them.

As always, please reach out to us with any questions about our events.

All the best,

Emily
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club team member
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [1]
Given Kudos: 896
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Chicago Booth applicants! I want to inform you of an upcoming webinar:

The Chicago Booth Challenge: How to Get Accepted in 2014.

When: Monday, December 16th at 10-11am PST
You can register for the event here: https://reports.accepted.com/chicago_booth_mba_webinar

More details:

Are you gearing up to take on the Chicago Booth challenge? Are you seeking guidance as you make your way through the difficult application process?

In The Chicago Booth Challenge: How to Get Accepted in 2014, a FREE, 1-hour webinar, Linda Abraham, Accepted.com Founder & CEO, will teach you how to:

• Demonstrate you can do the in-class work and excel.
  • Think realistically about why you want an MBA from Booth and how you intend to use it.
  • Show that you share Booth’s values, meet its criteria and would fit into its community.
  • Demonstrate that you will be able to contribute to Booth’s community, and ultimately make the school proud.

…and much more!

You can register for the event here: https://reports.accepted.com/chicago_booth_mba_webinar

Best of luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 16
Does everyone have post-decision material in the upload material drop down?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Maybe it has always been there. It would be used in case you get a favourable decision.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I see the post-decision material in the drop down. I don't see a note about my interview report/write-up being logged though...?
Intern
Intern
Ah. Sorry guys. Was just curious if that signaled being waitlisted or not. I realize decisions are posted on Wednesday.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
BuMayed wrote:
Ah. Sorry guys. Was just curious if that signaled being waitlisted or not. I realize decisions are posted on Wednesday.

Wednesday?

I thought it was on Thursday?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Official decisions come out Thursday (19th) but someone noted before that calls will start going out the day before.
Intern
Intern
I am totally out of it this week. The waiting and add to that traveling on business overseas(major jetlag), not a good combo, haha.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts