Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [4]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [12]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [11]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Excited to meet R1 Admits this weekend at admit weekend!

Some tips for the weekend:
If you are planning on moving into Millennium Park Plaza (this is the building where approximately 30% of the class lives), be sure to get on the wait list while you are here this weekend, if possible. To get on the wait list, you will need to know if you want to move in August 1st or September 1st (you can only move in on the first of the month) and whether you want a 1, 2, or 3 bedroom unit. The wait list is important because:
1) the higher up you are on the list, the more selection you have to choose from. Some units have granite, stainless steel, dark cherry wood, higher floor, etc and to get those options (if available) you generally have to be at the top of the wait list. In addition, some 1 bedrooms are much larger in sq ft than others, so again, top of the wait list is key.
2) if you are late to the wait list, you could end up with an undesirable move-in date (they push people to july 1 or oct 1) or you could end up without a unit at all

The events in part 2 didn't start happening I believe until after R2 admit weekend last year, so don't worry so much about that quite yet. But, if you want the nicer features/higher floor and all that stuff in number 1, then I would get on the wait list ASAP.

Millennium Park Plaza offers a $500 referral fee and they are VERY strict about how it is used. It is customary for incoming students and current first years to split this referral fee 50/50. You generally cannot share a referral fee with a current second-year because they will most likely be moved out by the time you move in, and so they cannot collect the referral fee.
Here is the statement from the leasing office, be sure to follow it closely:
"To earn the $500 referral rebate, the tenant must indicate they were referred by you on their initial contact with the leasing office, a one year lease must be signed, and the applicant must move-in. On the initial office visit or by email, the prospective tenants will also fill out a leasing guest card that must indicate that you were the specific referring individual to be eligible for the referral rebate. Referring tenant names may not be changed or added after the initial contact. In order to collect a referral rebate, tenants must be a current resident. Also, only one referral rebate is eligible to be paid out per entire apartment that is rented, regardless of the size of the unit or number of occupants. For example, if you refer 3 potential tenants for a 3 bedroom apartment, a $500 referral rebate would be eligible only. Referral rebates will be verified and deducted from your rent after the referred tenant has moved in. Referral rebates will not be paid out via cash or check. Each tenant is allowed a maximum of 3 tenant referrals per year."

If you want to be set up with a current first year at MPP, PM me. I also have contacts at 1130 S Michigan, MDA, the Coast, the Shoreham, the Tides, and Aqua if you want to split referral fees there. If you are interested in any other building let me know and I'll find someone for you. Keep in mind, most buildings only allow 1 to 3 referral fees to be paid to any given current resident, so be sure to include in your message how likely you are to sign a lease at that particular building and be sure to keep your referrer up-to-date if you are no longer interested in their building so he or she can refer other people.

Now, I will give you some more general neighborhood advice. These are just my observations.

South Loop - The building with the most Boothies down there is 1130 S Michigan, there are also people at 1212 S Michigan and from there people are more spread out. I find that most of the people that live there are either couples and/or people with dogs. It is desirable because it is a little quieter than the loop, is close to green space and a dog park, and is close to the Metra and express bus stops. It's a little closer to campus (5 minutes closer or so), so people like that. Also, the rents tend to be about the same as MPP which people like.

Loop - The biggest building in the Loop is Millennium Park Plaza (MPP). MPP is much cheaper than other buildings in the Loop and the metra stop that takes you to school is less than a block away. The pros are: living with your boothie friends, 10-minute walk to Gleacher, lots of parties, closer to river north for TNDC, decent fitness center, pool, roof deck. Internet and Cable are included, people complain about the internet all the time but I have literally never had a problem - I think that some people may not have set up their internet right or something. I don't know. The cons are: construction going on at the base of the building, no washer & dryer in unit (except 38th floor), a little more run-down than some of the other buildings. People definitely like to complain about MPP, the management is questionable and elevator waits can be really long when it's time for everyone to catch the metra to school, but since I did the price comparison of living somewhere else, I don't mind so much. From my experience, I could either live in the South Loop for about the same price as MPP, or live somewhere else in the the Loop like MDA or Lakeshore East for $500+ more a month (I didn't want to live in SLoop). Do your own research on this, but I concluded that saving $500 a month and dealing with a few inconveniences was worth it for me and I am happy with my decision.

Some people also live at MDA City Apartments which is less than a block away from MPP. MDA is a nicer and more expensive than MPP and has washer/dryer in-unit. The units tend to be quite a bit smaller or if you want a unit comparable to MPP size, it's a lot more expensive.

Park Millennium is a condo building that rents some units and there are a handful of Boothies that live there. It is nicer than MPP. The downside is that it's harder to plan ahead for this building, the condos don't come on the market until a month or two before they are available.

Lakeshore East: This is a much nicer area just east of the Loop. It does add a 5 to 10 minute walk to the metra depending on where you live. Lakeshore East is much nicer than MPP and MDA, but much more expensive than MPP. When I was looking for a 1-bedroom unit, The Shoreham/Tides were an additional $600/month for a comparable size unit, and the Coast and Aqua were about an additional $1000 a month. You can get smaller units that aren't as big of a price difference, so I would do your own research on price differences. Also note that when I was looking in February, the price difference wasn't as big but the Shoreham/Tides really jacked up their prices when it was time to sign a lease in July. Your experience may vary. I find that a lot of couples live in Lakeshore East as well as a lot of international students. It's a great place to live if you want to spend the money!

River North/Streeterville/Gold Coast: These areas are a little less accessible to school by public transit. It usually requires a long bus ride, or a bus to the metra. The people that live in these areas usually have a reason - ex, their spouse is in med school at Northwestern in Streeterville, or they lived in this location before business school. River North is where all of the excitement is in Chicago: bars, restaurants shopping. Gold Coast is just north of River north and is a little quieter. Streeterville is just east of River North and is VERY close to Gleacher Center. River North is much more expensive than the Loop, not sure about the Streeterville or Gold Coast.

The Northern Neighborhoods like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc have a handful of Boothies as well. These tend to be students who already lived in Chicago before Booth. These areas are slightly cheaper, but since they are so far from school it is really valuable to have a car to get to school - public transit can take a really long time.

Hyde Park - This is where school is located and I think only 7% of the class lives in Hyde Park, and I believe most of the people that live there are families.

For most students, the Loop and MPP will be the place to live. Couples should seriously consider South Loop or Lakeshore East in addition to the Loop. Couples still live in MPP, too. Families tend to live further out since the cost of living is so high in the areas surrounding the Loop, families tend to either live in Hyde Park or one of the northern neighborhoods.

Per my discussion at the top, if you are at all considering living at MPP I would definitely get on the wait list asap. You can still look around at other buildings in the mean time, but it's well worth the $40 or so you pay to get on the wait list to have your choice of the best/biggest units. Again, PM me if you want to split referral fees with someone, I will facilitate.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask more questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [8]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.32
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATravails wrote:
ritinster wrote:
Based on R1 , they're releasing at 9AM CST and 4PM CST. I don't think I've seen anything in between.

Can anyone confirm invites after 9 am for R2? Trying to keep hope alive here :)

Of the people that applied in Round 1, according to the self-reporting,

3 invited on Monday
6 invited on Tuesday
14 invited on Wednesday
14 invited on Thursday
38 invited on Friday (no, I didn't include Friday rejections)

So, about half of the invites go out on Friday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [7]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Anyone else just get that "Join a Live-Twitter Chat" e-mail? Those guys are just cruel sending anything out that isn't a status update at this point. Made my heart jump!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
In from San Francisco. with a 100K merit scholarship! woot!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [6]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
ritinster wrote:
daksha17 wrote:
ritinster wrote:
still nothing so looks like tom will be the d day!

Yup, same here. Now I am sincerely doubting if Booth really takes early career candidates in good light. :cry: :cry:

well you have to understand that indian/chinese pool is the most competitive...thats just the way it is! then the next competitive pool is caucasian american...if you are hispanic or black and if you are a women the odds are in your favor even with low grades just coz the bar is set low...affirmative action exists in universities and workplace so get used to it! i know its unfair as it should be based on merit but it isn't !

I think you should be a bit more careful what you put on the internet...acting defeatist daily and then making racial and gender comments probably won't look good if adcoms browse this forum.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [6]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.32
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
If you're another person who didn't get in anywhere, we should start our own board. I want to figure out a productive way to spend my time. Maybe we can analyze each other's essays or suggestions for work experience or extra-curriculars. I feel like I might be unable to crack the top-10 schools just because of undergrad experience and GPA, but maybe JUST MAYBE, if we can band together, this could work out next year.

Also, I'm not in a good mood right now. So, all the happy people on this forum make me sick. I'm sure you're all very charming in real life. But, it's like you brought cake and balloons to my funeral. So, I hope that Vladimir Putin annexes your hometowns. :twisted:

Good luck to those still waiting for tomorrow's wait list announcements.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [5]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Update on how the interview invites will be released from the Booth Insider blog
https://blogs.chicagobooth.edu/blog/Booth_Insider/Interview_Invitations_Coming_Soon/boothinsider/135?nav=entry

Quote:
Interview Invitations Coming Soon

So far in Round One, we continue to be impressed by the talented candidates who apply to Chicago Booth. As we speak, we are in the process of reviewing your applications and preparing to release interview invitations. We hope you are as eager to meet us as we are to meet you!

Starting on Monday, October 28, and continuing daily until Friday, November 1, we will begin to gradually release admissions interview decisions to Round One applicants. You can expect to receive an email letting you know that there is an update to your application status sometime that week. The message will prompt you to log into the online application system to see whether or not you have been invited to interview. Those invited will receive all pertinent information related to setting up and preparing for interviews. It’s important to note that the order of how we will release decisions from Monday through Friday is random and not indicative of your admissions decision, geography or initial application date.

When setting up your interview, you will have the opportunity to choose a time slot and location that works best for you from among a list of options:

1) on campus with a second-year Admissions Fellow
2) off campus at one of our interview locations (London, Shanghai, and Sao Paulo) by an alumnus or Admissions staff member
3) with a local alumnus/alumna in your city in the event you cannot travel to a Booth location

Stay tuned to this Insider blog for more about interview location options, interview tips, and what the committee will be looking for from your interview.

Best wishes!
Amy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Data -
1. 2012 acceptance rate 21%
2. 2012 Booth yield is ~62.5%.
3. Booth class size is ~550-600

~850-1000 Accepted students
~5200 applications

~45% class accepted round 1
~35% total applications round 1

Summary for Round 1
~1800 applicants
~850 interview invites
~450 offers for matriculation
~280 students accept and matriculate to Booth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [5]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call! East Coast applicant. Glad to finally have a green school on my profile!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Kudos
forteology wrote:
Denied this AM by email.

Stats on me:
I Banking for 4 years
660 GMAT

I applied to Chicago, IE, Maryland and USC. Maryland and USC have a special place in my heart (family legacy).

Got accepted to all except Chicago. I am 98% sure I am going to IE. I am making my final decision within the next week.

For all of you not admitted, to make it a little easier I'll share with you what I told my brother this morning after finding out the news. I told my brother after being rejected from Chicago that I am going to use this denial as motivation. I am going hold this against the U of Chicago for the rest of my life just like Kobe Bryant holds it against the 12 odd teams that passed on drafting him.

Hope this helps some of you deal with the frustration. Just laugh at the schools that denied you and in 20 years when you give a big donation to the school you do attend make sure to let Chicago know what a exceptional candidate they missed out on.

Cheers

I think that using failure as motivation or as a catalyst for future success is a great idea. However, there's no need to be bitter or to have so much resentment. It's not Booth's fault that you were not able to portray yourself as a compelling enough candidate. They just based their decision on the information they had to work with...that you provided. You're not a victim, you just need to work harder...and now you have more motivation to draw from.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [5]
Given Kudos: 53
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Kudos
gn1 wrote:
Hey guys,

I was wondering about the interview. What are the main questions that R 1 applicant got? any other tips?

Cheers,

There are a lot of resources out there on interview questions. Have you mastered the basics of MBA interview questions? Those usually are "Why MBA?"; "Why now?"; "Why [this school]?"; "What do you want to do afterward?"; "Why do you need an MBA to do that?"; and usually some behavioral questions related to leadership, teamwork, etc.

Do you know the difference between those and behavioral ("Tell me about a time...") questions? Do you know the STAR (situation, task, action, response) format to make sure you address those questions properly? Can you talk about your resume crisply, quickly, and clearly with themes/overarching ideas that tie your experience together? Have you done research on specific concentrations, clubs, professors, and experiences that make the school unique?

If you can answer "yes" to all those questions, you're in good shape. Otherwise, I recommend you look on ClearAdmit for a list of questions that are specific to Booth, but also get familiar with those other question types and your responses to the standard questions. The Booth interview is a more conversational one that hits the issues/areas I mentioned above, but there may be some behavioral questions thrown in too. It's not 100% behavioral like the Sloan interview is supposed to be.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [5]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Here's some answers based on my observations:

Are they all equally competitive programs?
The acceptance rate for the p/t programs is higher, but average p/t GMAT is still close to 690, which is nothing to sneeze at. P/t students typically enter with a bit more work experience, and keep accumulating it while they're in school. The same professors teach the same classes in both programs during the same quarter. F/t and p/t students are all curved against one another. In other words, all Booth grads have to meet the same standards.

Do they all get the official University of Chicago MBA diploma?
Yes

All look the same on the resume?
The degree looks the same. Employers can usually infer from the dates which program someone was in.

...curious how and if the university tries to differentiate the programs to prospective employers.
As mgh mentioned, p/t student don't have access to recruiting until they are 50% complete with the program. In practice, that means no internship recruiting. Once p/t students have access to on-campus recruiting, it is separate from the f/t process (separate dates, locations, etc).

... worse network (for the most part, FT/PT students are separated from each other).
The vast majority of programming is separate (e.g. p/t and f/t consulting clubs), but there is no official prohibition. It is up to individual clubs whether to open events to students from other programs. It is common for f/t students to take evening or weekend classes. The opposite is possible, but not common because most p/t'ers can't make daytime classes. The big exception is the alumni network, which is unified. For alumni events, people stop distinguishing p/t vs. f/t a few years after graduation. With more experience under their belt, p/t grads are often the ones being hit up about job ops (see Satya Nadella).

...but you'll probably end up with a worse job...
Debatable. Most p/t students continue their career in school and, thus, rack up raises and promotions while the rest of us are on hiatus.

...b-school brand is an important aspect of this whole game.
Absolutely it is. Chicago Booth pioneered the EMBA (1943) and weekend (1986) programs. Almost all of the top b-schools have both. The brands seem to be doing ok.

Finally, a very qualitative note. I have had several classes with p/t students and have always felt like they were strong contributors.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Just submitted my app! Good luck everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Ward2012 wrote:
Anyone going to Booth Live tomorrow? Mind sharing your experience at Booth? It could really help applicants of R2.

The event kicked off with breakfast and I had a chance to chat with prospective applicants. I was surprised by the amount of people (out of what looked like almost 120 applicants) that flew in from oversees. About 30 of us were already round 1 applicants with about 70 whom were prospective round 2 applicants.

The assistant dean gave a speech and we had an opportunity to meet most of the admissions team. There was an emphasis on the different strengths Booth has outside of finance, especially in marketing and entrepreneurship.

There was a 5 person student panel where we were able to ask questions to the panel. Diverse panel of 2nd years. 1 was heading to Mckinsey, 1 was heading to a tech start up, 1 was heading to an Oil and Gas Investment Banking in Houston.

We then got a tour of the facilities (I have visited 12 top 20 schools and would place the Booth campus in the top 3). My tour guide was a 2nd year Boothie. He is an entrepreneur and will be heading to BCG full time next year.

Professor Dhar from the marketing department then worked with us on a case for 45 minutes. He did a good job driving the case and guiding the applicants.

After the case was done, the head of the Polsky Center, Mrs. Starr, gave us a presentation. This was the highlight of the live event for me. I am interested in entrepreneurship and her presentation gave me further insights on how I can bring my ideas to a viable product while at Booth.

We then had a closing Q&A with the admissions team. After the Q&A was done we were able to participate in a happy hour event with current Booth students.

Major takeaways for me were
1. Down to earth student body
2. Solid Entrepreneurship skill building opportunities (was a major worry for me prior to the event, now I would say its a top 3 school in this area for me).
3. Active Alumni around the Chicago area
4. Solid Global presence and lots of opportunities to go on career treks around the U.S and around the globe.
5. Many opportunities to tap into the great University of Chicago community for collaboration

Good luck! I am really hoping for good news come Nov 1st :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
My F5 key is going to be broken by the end of this week...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [4]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
a281983 wrote:
This post is for future Indian Applicants who come in search of some data points to decide to apply or not...who may have to shell out 250$ = 16000/rs plus 1 month of hard work to apply to booth(or any college).....i had 710 gmat, 7.5 years of experience and a great career progression in IT --Trainee Engineer -- Software Engineer - Senior Software Engineer -- Project Lead -- Associate Manager -- Product Manager in 7 years(though i changed 5 companies, which in many ways enriched my experience) ...made a good presentation and devoted good time to application..... Got a DING without INTERVIEW...
My 2 cents ...for US top 10, get at least GMAT 750 if you are not from IIT...and if you don't have it and don't want to compromise with US top 10+, stop wasting your time and pursue MBA from Singapore(NUS/NTU)/IIM A/B or spend quality time on your job and ideas.....Good luck! ...(I observed that invites , at least in this forum, went to 750+ candidates from various backgrounds, IT being least favored -- or lets say I am still to find a Indian IT guy with less than 750 score who is not working in US and still got a invite!)

I don't come from an over represented group. BUT I cannot agree with your sentiments. I'm not saying Indian IT guys don't have a tougher time getting in because they do. Visit a class and you will see that probably <10% of the class are Indian. Compare that against the number who apply, it's very tough. But to say unless you are a graduate of IIT with a super GPA, 750+ GMAT is not true.

People think that GMAT+GPA+Great Work ex = sure fire admit. I honestly believe the admissions teams of various schools when they say the process is holistic. Yes you need the requisite numbers to play but only to be competitive. Once you are in the competitive pot, everything else comes into play. I know in quite a lot of countries, the education system is geared towards numbers and who is the best (India being one of them) but there is a reason why people with GPAs < 3.3 get in. Unfortunately just because you are #1 or top 10% or won a bunch of medals, that's not enough. I am not saying that a 780 GMAT does not stand out. Of course it does, but I don't see any school with an average GMAT of 760. In fact, I would guess that the Indian applicants probably don't average that either.

Similarly with work experience, it is not enough to have achieved a bunch of promotions and won awards at work. This does not by itself stand out. There are people who have never been promoted once or won a single award, yet get admitted. Why? They convinced the admissions team that they were exceptional even without those things. If everyone gets an award, that's no longer special. If you get promoted lots but on the same track as everyone else, you are not so special. The key is the context.

Just a final thing, I know the ding hurt. But you can only get in if you apply. Yes $250 is a ton of money when converted back into INR but if you don't apply, you will never get in. Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [4]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
Calls will go out on the 18th and everyone will know by the 19th. Best of luck to everyone! It's an incredibly stressful process and I remember checking my phone every 5 minutes the day before. Like Brandon432 says, find a way to relax. I suggest adult beverages - either you are already in the mood to celebrate or you can use them to drown your sorrows.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts