Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth - Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 12:32
I had posted this somewhere else, and was redirected here.

What are the chances of getting into booth with the following, and what do I need to do to make up for my obvious shortcomings?

3.4 GPA from a little known (but accredited) undergrad program.

700 GMAT

4 Years Work Experience for medium sized brokerage firm (Non management, low level, non business support function in HR)

letter of rec: (no big name)

My essays will definitely be strong.

Some community service

3 kids (if that matters)

White male

Basically I know this might be long shot, but I am retaking the GMAT because I know with a little polish I can shine in that area. What do I need to accomplish and focus on (other than GMAT) to increase my chances of being considered during the application process?

Last edited by hopalong on 06 May 2011, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 14:19
greghopkins01 wrote:
I had posted this somewhere else, and was redirected here.

What are the chances of getting into booth with the following, and what do I need to do to make up for my obvious shortcomings?

3.7 GPA from a little known (but accredited) undergrad program.

700 GMAT

4 Years Work Experience for medium sized brokerage firm (Non management, low level, non business support function in HR)

letter of rec: (no big name)

My essays will definitely be strong.

Some community service

3 kids (if that matters)

White male

Basically I know this might be long shot, but I am retaking the GMAT because I know with a little polish I can shine in that area. What do I need to accomplish and focus on (other than GMAT) to increase my chances of being considered during the application process?

Huh? What's the problem? I don't see any obvious shortcomings including your GMAT score which is in range. You seem on paper to be a normal candidate for a good school including Chicago Booth. The biggest thing you can do is show your personality through your essays. You need to be able to convey that you know exactly what you want to get out of Booth from a career standpoint and also that you can contribute to the school in a meaningful way. If you know your story and can effectively communicate that to the adcoms, you should be fine.

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 14:41
I was thinking that my low level (and hr) job experience and unrespected undergrad would kill me in the app process. It seems like i see folks with pretty impressive profiles getting turned away from Booth.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 15:19
I have to agree with eskimo here and concur on the fact that you really don't have a so-called 'shortcomings' on your application. While you say that your WE is perhaps a bit weaker, that's something extremely subjective. If I get to comment on the job I'm doing, I'd say that even high school grads can do it (well, I guess they'll have to be pretty mature high school grads). A no-name college doesn't mean a rejection. People get in b-school with normal, state colleges just like those who went to top-notch college. I really wouldn't stress too much about your undergrad institution or your WE. However, if you truly think you can boost your score up by a lot (and I mean 740+), feel free because it wouldn't hurt to apply with a higher score. But anything lower than 740 would be moot if you ask me. As you get into the application season, also branch out and see what some of the other schools can offer you. I'm not sure if Booth is the only school you're looking at, but really think about what you want to do post-MBA and if possible, add a few schools onto your list. Of course, if you have a personal reason to go for booth or bust, by all means, do it and have no regret!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 17:26
i had a typo there, GPA is actually 3.4. dealbreaker?
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 17:45
greghopkins01 wrote:
i had a typo there, GPA is actually 3.4. dealbreaker?

I don't think it's a dealbreaker, but certainly a higher GMAT score may be able to help sweeten the deal. Had your GPA been 3.7, I'm sure no matter how little name it is, it shouldn't matter too much (since it's at least accreditted). What was your major? A 3.4 is still strong, but may appear stronger if your major is a tough one.

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 18:58
Nope. I was coasting the undergrad degree is in business admin.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 22:16
I don't think you'll find too much trouble in getting into a top 15 b-school in the nation. As for anyone who wishes to get in booth, it's more than just stellar academics and GMAT score, but there's also that hint of luck that everyone needs. I still think that as long as you have that luck on your side, you have a shot. You just need to really personify your essays and explain your goals coherently. Booth divides its essay sections into multiple smaller sections that asks about your interest in Booth, your goals, and this non-conventional powerpoint section, where you get to show your ideas off in a powerpoint format. As long as you're able to blow the admins away with your essays, I truly think you have a shot at interview (again, this is even knowing your 3.4), and once you're with the interviewer, it's really about how you handle pressure and your communication skills. Good luck!

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth - Profile [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 06:00
Well, maybe I am being too negative on my chances. I just don't want to waste my time. It sounds like I am not!

So I am hearing they are not going to require a rec letter from the Pope or anything, and I dont need to have started a successful small business which has blossomed into a multi national profit machine? ;-)
Re: Booth - Profile   [#permalink] 07 May 2011, 06:00