Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth vs Columbia

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 20:07
To all the wise applicants,

Please share your thoughts on which you would choose and why.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 21:19
They're both great schools, so it really depends on what you want to do and which would be a better fit for you.

Can't really go wrong with either...
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 03:43
batman28 wrote:
With both strong in finance and not knowing your goals

CBS + 3

New York City advantage
Ivy League
Better known among the public

Cheers and congrats!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Beyond the NYC advantage, the other two reasons you listed are paper thin at best. Just because a school is Ivy League that does not mean it has a perception advantage. Joe Schmo off the street knowing of your school's brand is meaningless. Don't pick a program because it's more impressive to randoms. For the people who know (i.e. the ones that matter) Booth's reputation OFTEN surpasses Columbia's. Now I'm not saying that CBS isn't a great school, because it is. However, by and large it is NOT viewed to currently be quite where Booth is.

If you want to live in NYC and have access to NY companies then CBS is absolutely the way to go. Beyond that there are no concrete advantages. It's going to come down to where you feel you fit best. Did you get into both schools? If not, this is a very moot question.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 06:21
It depends..., what are you looking for? what do you want to do after the MBA? have you visited both schools?

Personally, I would go to Booth hands down. (Columbia is one of the schools I would never apply to)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 06:25
I still have the same question. CBS is/was one of my dream BS, but haven´t started to break my goals down to what i really want. Are the program lenght both of the same duration? I know, CBS allows to apply for a 18months program.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 06:59
adrianbr wrote:
It depends..., what are you looking for? what do you want to do after the MBA? have you visited both schools?

Personally, I would go to Booth hands down. (Columbia is one of the schools I would never apply to)

Why would you not apply to Columbia?

Thanks.
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [6] , given: 2

Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
My background is finance.... IB, PE, and HF.... I applied to both schools... and what I am about to share is what I thought of both schools when i decided to apply as these were neck to neck on my list.

Both are great schools and you can't go wrong BUT I will vote for CBS.

1) NYC advantage is huge when it comes down to finance (especially when you are recruiting for PE, IB, HF)... i have friends at Booth making weekend trips out to NY to recruit on their own expense... That's really painful when you have coursework and social events to attend. Your 2 yrs may be full of recruiting trips, missing out on all the good social stuff. I did a run on employment report for 9 top schools on HF/IM recruiting... CBS tops even HBS and Stanford in HF/IM jobs purely based on % of graduates entering into these fields. HBS may attract the hottest PE/HF but, by numbers, CBS places more of its MBAs to HF/IM than any other top schools. Booth came in at 5th after CBS, HBS, Stanford, Wharton... (This is just on HF/IM placement).

2) Booth seems too technical and quanty.. let's face it, unless you are going for some phd level finance and etc, you are not going to need the rigor that Booth teaches in the real world. Come on now, I've work in PE, HF, and IB for 6 yrs combined now and we don't use that fancy theory shix that textbook teaches at work. Practical focused teaching of CBS is better and comes more handy when it comes to the real world

3) Ivy and general reputation can be ignored (true that ppl who hire you know that both are awesome schools) BUT I've seen a lot of ppl put a ton of weight on these things and I don't blame them. If you went to crappy undergraduate, it's fair that you want to tone up your pedigree with some well known school name. I don't blame you folks. That's probably why MIT Sloan gets more hype than it should get. Most updated Poets and Quants reflecting USNews ranking puts MIT at #7 among the M7 (not yet updated on P&Q site) but a lot of ppl think Sloan is better than that. A lot has to do with the pedigree of its parent university brand, not Sloan's. Sloanians, thank your fellow MIT engineers.... Frankly, the brand Columbia is more well-known and better than U of Chicago's brand. My cousins who live in Chicago for 30+ yrs knew Kellogg's MBA rocks but looked a bit confused when I was so gungho on Booth. They knew Booth but its reputation was no near Kellogg's. My cousins are not avg. Joes either. One is a SVP at a renowned magazine company and one runs his own tech start-up. I think this has to do with Kellogg's clout in the MBA circle dating from wwaaaaayyyy back (since 1988 when BW first published MBA rankings... Kellogg came in at #1 for the longest time) vs. Booth's momentum has been a recent phenomenon... It could be different 10-20 yrs from now if Booth can maintain its current ranking status (although I see this extremely tough as they have pretty much maxed out their potential in ranking as #1,2,3 will most likely be HSW, Booth will go as high as #3 but Booth is at a spot where they can't move upward anymore. HSW would be just too tough and established to beat. So Booth has room to decline in rankings as Kellogg, CBS, Tuck, MIT, Haas can be a legitimate threat at a solid #4 spot in pure ranking terms).

Sorry for the long post but give it a thought between B and CBS. you are really splitting hairs but if you are a finance guy (especially IM/HF), you are better off going to Columbia. For PE and IB, both are strong with a slight edge to Columbia given its NYC advantage. Guys, this NYC advantage is huge... and it makes recruiting that much more accessible and easier...and cheaper since you don't have to fly out and book hotels... tuition and forgone income are already pain in the neck.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 20:09
I didn't apply to Columbia and here are two main reasons:

- I really want to have an MBA 'experience'. The CBS MBA is different than most MBA's in that aspect because of New York City. Almost everyone have friends in NY so people tend to hang with their own crowds quite often. My friends at CBS confirmed my impression that going a lot of people at CBS just go to classes and then go to explore the city and hangout with their own friends. A LOT of people work and are going to be in class in ties and suits. They are exceptions but most people don't really live the school and program as much as they are living New York City. Not an appealing experience to me since I believe the community aspect is so huge during the MBA.

- I visited and wasn't impressed with classes, faculty, people. The students weren't very passionate about the program. The classes weren't as engaging and the facilities were just... poor. I got the feeling that since it's NYC, the school didn't have to work hard at anything else.

Now, if you want to experience NYC and dream of living there for 2 years, that's awesome. I'd rather go there to work post b-school and have the whole b-school experience.

2 of my best friends live in NY so I just KNOW I'd get completely distracted by the city and my friends there. Plus everyone always coming to visit. I wouldn't be able to focus.

I'm going to Booth and it might be a Brazil thing, but the University of Chicago certainly has a big name here. Similar to Upenn, Columbia... I'd say the 'wow' names here with the general population are Harvard, Stanford and MIT for sure.

The ivy league argument is retarded. Who cares? Would you go to Cornell Johnson over Stanford, Kellogg or Booth??
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

Premium Member
Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
I'm sure your friend had a particular experience, but I couldn't state more that I disagree with the implication that it is representative of the average student. The community is extremely strong at CBS. I am almost exclusively hanging out with my classmates outside of class. A telling anecdote is that I rarely see pictures on FB of my classmates hanging out with people who aren't also classmates.

The fact of the matter is Columbia has a great community. We study together, travel together, hang out together, and party together. The "distractions" of NYC don't separate us, but rather simply give us plenty of stuff to do together as peers.

mpg2011 wrote:

- I really want to have an MBA 'experience'. The CBS MBA is different than most MBA's in that aspect because of New York City. Almost everyone have friends in NY so people tend to hang with their own crowds quite often. My friends at CBS confirmed my impression that going a lot of people at CBS just go to classes and then go to explore the city and hangout with their own friends. A LOT of people work and are going to be in class in ties and suits. They are exceptions but most people don't really live the school and program as much as they are living New York City. Not an appealing experience to me since I believe the community aspect is so huge during the MBA.

- I visited and wasn't impressed with classes, faculty, people. The students weren't very passionate about the program. The classes weren't as engaging and the facilities were just... poor. I got the feeling that since it's NYC, the school didn't have to work hard at anything else.

Now, if you want to experience NYC and dream of living there for 2 years, that's awesome. I'd rather go there to work post b-school and have the whole b-school experience.

2 of my best friends live in NY so I just KNOW I'd get completely distracted by the city and my friends there. Plus everyone always coming to visit. I wouldn't be able to focus.

I'm going to Booth and it might be a Brazil thing, but the University of Chicago certainly has a big name here. Similar to Upenn, Columbia... I'd say the 'wow' names here with the general population are Harvard, Stanford and MIT for sure.

The ivy league argument is retarded. Who cares? Would you go to Cornell Johnson over Stanford, Kellogg or Booth??

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 28

Re: Booth vs Columbia [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 19:56
Another current student who disagrees with below quote. Columbia has a very strong community and people do not just hang out with their NY friends. If anything people tend to have to work very hard to make time for their friends outside of school once orientation begins and pretty much for the whole two years. Its the MBA experience, plus New York. I'm not saying Columbia is perfect, but community is not something we lack. I personally grew up in NYC and have friends and family in the city that I now see every other week or so at best. And the vast majority of people don't take internships during the school year, in my cluster of 60+ people there might be one that tried it, two at most. Suits are frequent during recruiting season.

I would suggest visiting both schools, as they will have different atmospheres and you will fit with one better than the other just from personal preference. Don't just do the class visit and the tour, but also go to informal events such as Thursday happy hours and such, as that is where you will get the best feel for what its like.

mpg2011 wrote:

Re: Booth vs Columbia   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2013, 19:56