Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth vs. INSEAD (vs. Duke vs. no school)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which school to attend or no school at all

• 74% [20]
  • 18% [5]
  • 7% [2]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Booth vs. INSEAD (vs. Duke vs. no school) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 07:18
I am stoked to be admitted to several great programs: Booth, INSEAD, and Duke, all full time. I'm mostly choosing between Booth and INSEAD, and leaning towards Booth (but maybe people will have other insights?). I know they are such different programs, and that's the challenge in choosing. Location, cost, duration, and global reputation of the school are all points of consideration.

Some background: I’m currently working in scientific research at a biotech company in the US, and I already hold a PhD (yeah, that was probably unnecessary). My career goals are to move into business development and strategic planning within the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry. I basically have no experience in business, and I guess I’d be considered a non-traditional-career-switcher. I might be interested in doing a stint in consulting at MBB before moving into the pharma-biotech sector.

In an ideal world I’d like to live and work in the EU, hence the appeal of INSEAD, but I don’t have EU citizenship – I heard that could be a hindrance in getting a job there – and I don’t really speak the local languages, only English and Russian, and I’m not so interested in winding up in Russia at the moment. INSEAD will be about 1.5x cheaper, and they even gave me a little bit of scholarship money. No money at Booth or Duke, and the cost of these programs is frightening. INSEAD is only 1 year – on the one hand it takes me out of the work force just for 1 year, but then I don’t get an internship to facilitate my career transition, and I hear from everyone that the MBA experience is so awesome that it’s worth doing it for as long as possible :-D So the worst-case scenario I see with INSEAD is that I won’t land a job in the EU, which is the whole point of going there, and then I’ll have to look for a job in the US, which would be harder because of the distance and poor name recognition of the school.

The things I love about Booth (other than the obvious, such as rankings and reputation) are: the strong academics, I feel like I would actually learn some solid quant subjects there; the university culture, the ability to take classes outside of the business school, and maybe participate in the music program; Chicago is a pretty decent city with a great arts and music scene, that’s important to me. Of course Paris is an awesome city, probably more awesome than Chicago, but INSEAD is not really in Paris. Last, but not least, the logistics of relocating myself across the Atlantic for an uncertain period of time are daunting. It would actually be easier to decide how much stuff to move if the post-MBA future was more certain, if I could know whether I’d be able to stay on in Europe or not. Maybe I shouldn’t even be worrying about this right now?

I should also make a comment that I’ve visited Booth, and spoken to students, so I know I love the culture there, whereas my knowledge of INSEAD is limited to one local info session, two interviews with alum, and reading up on the web.

The way I see it:

Booth
Pros:
Better name recognition
Stronger program
Less stressful move to Chicago
Get to do an internship

Cons:
Much more expensive
Fewer connections with European companies

INSEAD
Pros:
Great name recognition in Europe
Cheaper
Better opportunity to learn a third language (i.e. French)
Close to Paris

Cons:
No internship
Uncertain job search prospects
Poor name recognition in the US
Moving logistics
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Booth vs. INSEAD (vs. Duke vs. no school) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 08:00
Expert's post
Booth is the easy choice. Being a career switcher and non traditional candidate with no business background, having an internship and having 2 years of classes will be super useful to you. Insead sends a lot of people into consulting, but what gets missed is, A LOT of them are sponsored students heading back to the company they came from. As a U.S. citizen, it will be much harder to recruit in Europe. Do a few years in MBB in the states, and I'm sure it really wouldn't be a problem to transfer to Europe is that's what you want...I work in non-front office finance, and I could easily transfer to the London office, at a prestigious consulting firm assuming it would be that much easier. Don't worry about the debt, at Booth you will get the job you want, taxes and pay are higher in the US anyways.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 69

Re: Booth vs. INSEAD (vs. Duke vs. no school) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 08:19
I voted Booth, but I have a slight bias ;-). Given that you want to end up in the EU, INSEAD may be a good option, but I really know nothing about non-US programs. I do know that I have many Booth classmates (US citizens and not) who are interning in Europe and plan to end up there after school If you have Booth-specific questions, feel free to drop me a line.
Re: Booth vs. INSEAD (vs. Duke vs. no school)   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2014, 08:19