Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth vs. Tuck with $$$ vs. staying at home - jobs EU/US

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

You have the option to make my life choice. Do not miss the opportunity!!!

• 64% [11]
  • 29% [5]
  • 5% [1]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 41

Booth vs. Tuck with $$$ vs. staying at home - jobs EU/US [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 07:34
Let's annoy GMATclub guys once more. (by the way this site is really a talent hangout and I always got brilliant answers)

Help me solve my dilemma.

I'm a 28 year old Engineer with pre-MBA experience in Energy / Oil&Gas Operations (4 years)

Post-MBA career goal :- Although nothing is set in stone yet, I'm leaning towards a career in Finance. I'd dare say ER /AM / Corp Fin, but I know it is really an extremely difficult career switch.
General management is my plan B at the moment , until someone will demonstrate to me I won't be able to to the switch no matter what.

Post-MBA Location :- I would love to work in London (with not LBS then you'll say - no comment on this) or Europe in general. I am from Italy btw.

Options:

1) Chicago Booth - No scholarship.

2) Tuck + 40k scholarship.

3) Continuing in an operational /technical role in Italy. Not my favourite one definitely. You do not get paid. Only pro, I will not completely ruin my finances.

Someone from UK/EU/Italy can advise me on employer recognition / network of both schools in UK, Europe in general.
Is the brand of the two schools somehow recognized from the employers?

Thank you very much, indeed

stay hungry
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Booth vs. Tuck with $$$ vs. staying at home - jobs EU/US [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 08:29
I live in London and did a bunch of research on the networks + employer recognition of both schools since I applied to them both. Cut a long story short, apart from your typical IB/MC firms, a lot of other employers will have never heard of Dartmouth and UChicago nevermind Tuck or Booth. This is actually more surprising for Booth because they have a London campus for their EMBA program. This does mean you will have a bigger Booth related network to tap into (less full time MBAs but EMBA grads). As for Tuck its network in London and Europe in general is not big but then that is partially a product of its class size. However from my experience there is really good quality there.

I think with either school you would be able to recruit for London. Whether that is in equity research, asset management or corporate finance I don't know. If you are looking at finance, recruiting for IB in London shouldn't be too hard. Your goals definitely speak to Booth's strengths, so I picked Booth.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Booth vs. Tuck with $$$ vs. staying at home - jobs EU/US [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 08:53
Expert's post
Tuck + $40k is pretty similar to Booth with no money, this is a case where I'd go to both campuses and see which you like more. There's no easy right or wrong answer in this case. You should have no problem reaching your goals at either schools (Tuck is basically as good as the non-HWS M7 schools at this point).
Re: Booth vs. Tuck with $$$ vs. staying at home - jobs EU/US   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2014, 08:53