Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Borderline...apply for R2 or R3?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Borderline...apply for R2 or R3? [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 17:16
I took the GMAT a little over a week ago for the second time, scored a somewhat miserable 550 - V38, Q28. I was originally intending to apply to Kelley for Round 2 deadline, but now I'm not so sure with that GMAT. I am not totally sure that if I take the test this December that I will improve my score enough (esp. the quant, but see my note underneath my undergrad about quant). I think the only time I can take it is around the 17th.

My question for you is, should I bite the bullet and apply for round 2, or continue to study to hope to improve my score to above 600 and apply in round 3?

The rest of my stats are as follows
Female - 24

undergrad GPA - 3.54 from Purdue - Krannert, BS in Mgmt, Minors in Mktg and French - deans list and semester honors for 2 years. Involved in Purdue Mktg Assoc, and Pi Delta Phi French Honor Society.
Quant courses - tested out of an entire semester of calc, scored an A in the second semester, A's in all stats classes taken, B and a C in Managerial and Financial Accounting, and a C in my freshmen calculus when I thought I was going to be an Engineer :-) (which was subsequently redlined when I switched to the school of mgmt)

Work Exp - 40 months at matriculation as the marketing coordinator in an 80 person company. I am the only mktg employee and work directly with and report to the CEO and VP. A lot of project management responsibilities for large clients (Wellpoint, Blue Cross Blue Shield, et al). Involved in product development as well (on products that relate to communications and mktg)

Extra Curriculars - Involved with a nonprofit - currently coordinating the development of marketing pieces for the nonprofit group with Indiana University-Indianpolis' Herron school of Art.

Goals - Brand Management, ultimately a marketing director

I had an interview in October with a student member of the adcom. She and I had quite a bit in common - both from around Bloomington, both went to Big 10s, Both into brand management, both lived in Indiana our entire lives...I thought the interview went well in general.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 17:18
I forgot to mention, both of my recs are from Kelley MBA program Alumni. 1 is from the CEO and the other is from the VP. Both are 'strongly recommend'
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Borderline...apply for R2 or R3? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 18:42
Expert's post
stretchad wrote:
I took the GMAT a little over a week ago for the second time, scored a somewhat miserable 550 - V38, Q28. I was originally intending to apply to Kelley for Round 2 deadline, but now I'm not so sure with that GMAT. I am not totally sure that if I take the test this December that I will improve my score enough (esp. the quant, but see my note underneath my undergrad about quant). I think the only time I can take it is around the 17th.

My question for you is, should I bite the bullet and apply for round 2, or continue to study to hope to improve my score to above 600 and apply in round 3?

The rest of my stats are as follows
Female - 24

undergrad GPA - 3.54 from Purdue - Krannert, BS in Mgmt, Minors in Mktg and French - deans list and semester honors for 2 years. Involved in Purdue Mktg Assoc, and Pi Delta Phi French Honor Society.
Quant courses - tested out of an entire semester of calc, scored an A in the second semester, A's in all stats classes taken, B and a C in Managerial and Financial Accounting, and a C in my freshmen calculus when I thought I was going to be an Engineer :-) (which was subsequently redlined when I switched to the school of mgmt)

Work Exp - 40 months at matriculation as the marketing coordinator in an 80 person company. I am the only mktg employee and work directly with and report to the CEO and VP. A lot of project management responsibilities for large clients (Wellpoint, Blue Cross Blue Shield, et al). Involved in product development as well (on products that relate to communications and mktg)

Extra Curriculars - Involved with a nonprofit - currently coordinating the development of marketing pieces for the nonprofit group with Indiana University-Indianpolis' Herron school of Art.

Goals - Brand Management, ultimately a marketing director

I had an interview in October with a student member of the adcom. She and I had quite a bit in common - both from around Bloomington, both went to Big 10s, Both into brand management, both lived in Indiana our entire lives...I thought the interview went well in general.

Thanks!

EVerything but the GMAT looks good. :-( I think you should apply 3rd round and retake the GMAT giving yourself enought time to prepare and raise your score significantly.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog