Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 20:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (02:27) correct 23% (01:41) wrong based on 253 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 59
Page: 140
Difficulty:

Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls of similar size. The reason for this behavior is that the small mammals on which owls feed are especially scarce in the forests where boreal owls live, and the relative scarcity of prey requires the owls to range more extensively to find sufficient food.

Which of the following ,if true, most helps to confirm the explanation above?

A. Some boreal owls range over an area eight times larger than the area over which any other owl of similar size ranges
B. Boreal owls range over larger areas in regions where food of the sort eaten by small mammals is sparse than they do in regions where such food is abundant.
C. After their young hatch, boreal owls must hunt more often than before in order to feed both themselves and their newly hatched young
D. Sometimes individual boreal owls hunt near a single location for many weeks at a time and do not range rather than a few hundred yards.
E. The boreal owl requires less food, relative to its weight, than is required by members of other owl species.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 07 Oct 2013, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Necessary Corrections for Official Guide Verbal Review 2nd Edition Project
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Owls [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 03:39
a as well
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Owls [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 05:43
I would go with option B for that it exactly supports the reason which is mentioned in the question [i.e reason of food being scarce]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR: Owls [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 12:21
Hi guys,

IMO B

A. Some boreal owls range over an area eight times larger than the area over which any other owl of similar size ranges this answer does not add any support, just repeats the fact
B. Boreal owls range over larger areas in regions where food of the sort eaten by small mammals is sparse than they do in regions where such food is abundant. Hold
C. After their young hatch, boreal owls must hunt more often than before in order to feed both themselves and their newly hatched young the text talks about boreal owls in general
D. Sometimes individual boreal owls hunt near a single location for many weeks at a time and do not range rather than a few hundred yards. the text doesn't say anything about this
E. The boreal owl requires less food, relative to its weight, than is required by members of other owl species. nothing to do with the text

Could some post the OA?

What's the source?

Thanks

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 04:40
Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls of similar size. The reason for this behavior is probably that the small mammals on which owls feed are especially scarce in the forests where boreal owls live, and the relative scarcity of prey requires the owls to range more extensively to find sufficient food.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to confirm the explanation above?

A. Some boreal owls range over an area eight times larger than the area over which
any other owl of similar size ranges.
B. Boreal owls range over larger areas in regions where food of the sort eaten by small mammals is sparse than they do in regions where such food is abundant.
C. After their young hatch, boreal owls must hunt more often than before in order to feed both themselves and their newly hatched young.
D. Sometimes individual boreal owls hunt near a single location for many weeks at a time and do not range farther than a few hundred yards.
E. The boreal owl requires less food, relative to its weight, than is required by members of other owl species.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 05:54
Looks like B. It is the only sentence that almost repeats the premise and conclusion., thus reaffirming the explanation.

A is quantifying the premise ... no help.
C is concerned with the babies. To feed the babies or themselves is he same issue and does not explain the conclusion.
D this goes against the possible correlation.
E less or more, the owls still need the food. Not explaining the cause for longer flights.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 12

Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 09:03
A. Some boreal owls range over an area eight times larger than the area over which
any other owl of similar size ranges.
>> Will not affect the argument.
>> YES. The argument specifies that this behaviour of Boreal owls is because of its food availability (Which is less due to scared prey). This supports the argument by giving evidence that if the food is abundant Boreal owl's range is less.C. After their young hatch, boreal owls must hunt more often than before in order to feed both themselves and their newly hatched young.
>> Do not talk about range.
D. Sometimes individual boreal owls hunt near a single location for many weeks at a time and do not range farther than a few hundred yards.
>> Weakens conclusion.
>> Not related.

+1Kudos, if this helps

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 11:27
I picked (C) because.....

As per my understanding, (B) says opposite of what is given in the premise. Boreal owls range over larger areas where food eaten by small mammals is sparse. If food for small mammals is sparse then small mammals will not be found in those areas as they will gone to other places in search for their food.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 12:51
seekmba ..you made me think. Still, I cannot come to the terms of including kids to solidify the argument.

This question is from GMAT OG Verbal Review 2nd edition Q 59. The answer is B.
Not C, because the option concerns a correlation between owl's need for food and the frequency with which owls hunt...[the argument concerns range ....]

http://books.google.com/books?id=W5XOhZ ... 22&f=false
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 30

Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
premises : Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls of similar size
The reason for this behavior is probably that the small mammals on which owls feed are especially scarce in the forests where boreal owls live.

the second premises clearly says it is the prey that is forcing owls to wander. on the other hand if the prey roamed in one target area the owls have no reason to leave

B supports this

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 06:51
The OA is B and it is coming from OG verbal question 59

But I really don't agree with this one.

First answer B is talking about "food eaten by the small mammals" not the small mamals themselves on which the owls prey. The explanation of the OG says that the presence of the small mammals and the food they eat is correlated and that abundance of this food means abundance of small mammals. But I don't think this inference is obvious as a perfectly valid explanation would be that the abundance of small mammals foods is due to the scarcity of their prey. And understood this way B weakens the explanation instead of strengthening it.

Second I think answer D is a way better choice. Indeed if D is correct then this means that when the boreal owl does not have to look for food and has a single location where to hunt, it does not range over a very large area as it usually does. Then, we can correctly infer that the reason the boreal owl range over a very large area is indeed because it needs to look for food, therefore D confirms the explanation.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 991 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 13:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Darmody wrote:
The OA is B and it is coming from OG verbal question 59

But I really don't agree with this one.

First answer B is talking about "food eaten by the small mammals" not the small mamals themselves on which the owls prey. The explanation of the OG says that the presence of the small mammals and the food they eat is correlated and that abundance of this food means abundance of small mammals. But I don't think this inference is obvious as a perfectly valid explanation would be that the abundance of small mammals foods is due to the scarcity of their prey. And understood this way B weakens the explanation instead of strengthening it.

Second I think answer D is a way better choice. Indeed if D is correct then this means that when the boreal owl does not have to look for food and has a single location where to hunt, it does not range over a very large area as it usually does. Then, we can correctly infer that the reason the boreal owl range over a very large area is indeed because it needs to look for food, therefore D confirms the explanation.

Hi Darmody,

This is a tough question because of the complicated language used in the argument.

The problem with (B) is in two words "sometimes" and "individual". If only a few boreal owls sometimes hunt near a single location, then that will not explain the characteristic of boreal owls in general. Second, saying that owls hunt not for food will be a far fetched assumption.

Moreover if OG says that OA is (B) we can not challenge it. The best thing is to try to understand why is it correct and why others aren't. We are playing a game that GMAT test makers make and we have to learn their rules to master the test. So, any efforts to challenge an OA from OG will no be of much use.

OG correctly mentions the correlation between presence of the small mammals and the food they eat. It is not a far fetched assumption. If the food for small mammals is scattered then the mammals are also scattered in a large forest area. The stimulus mentions that the small mammals on which boreal owls feed are scarce, so, their food is scattered these scarce mammals will also be scattered. So, boreal owls have to cover a larger area to find "sufficient" food, which is mentioned in the last sentence. Also note that this answer choice "most" helps to explain the owl's behavior; it is the best choice among all the other choices.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Last edited by Narenn on 07 Oct 2013, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
All similar threads have been merged.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2014, 14:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Boreal owls range over a much larger area than do other owls   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2014, 14:01