Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Boston U's MS.MBA Program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Boston U's MS.MBA Program [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 16:56
Anyone here currently enrolled in BU's MS.MBA program? Id like to get some feedback regarding the program and the school itself. It's really peaked my interest considering an MIS degree is packaged with it.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 05:55
Coolidge,

I'm not currently enrolled, but I've done a lot of research on the program, talked with professors, students, and lots of alums.

The students tell me that the additional coursework required for the MIS is not too bad. Apparently the first three weeks of the summer in between years is very difficult, because there are classes called intensives that require lots of work, most students characterized these three weeks thusly: It's a nightmare, you basically live at school for those three weeks.

I think aside from that it is a manageable amount of additional work.

The admissions office says that on average, those with MS-MBAs start out with salaries that are 10K higher. I'm not convinced that this is a direct result of the degree. I assume part of it can be attributed to the selection bias, in other words people who sign up for the dual degree are likely more motivated or possibly people who are interested in the MIS are interested in more lucrative jobs.

The students and alums I spoke with also said that it doesn't matter how little you know about information systems going into the program, it's designed to bring everyone up to speed.

Overall I think the BU program is decent, but not great. I do think however, that an individual can get a lot out of it, whereas other similarly ranked or regarded schools dont' have the potential. I say this, because BU has amazing resources, they have some of the best professors in the world (many of them work at MIT and Harvard), and the school has great connections with many businesses. So in this sense, there is a great overall network to tap into.

While there are many alums and other great network options, I think the great weakness is going to be the "peer" network. From what I understand, BU (at the undergrad and graduate level) brings in lots of rich knuckle-heads that they charge a lot of money, and then they give huge scholarships to bring in smarter people. So you end up with a class that is like 50% not-so-smart, not-so-driven people, then maybe 40% average students, and then the top 10% are on par with the types of people you would find at M7 programs. This is what I have heard from several alums.

BU has a great reputation outside of the US, the school spends tons of money recruiting overseas and they further their reputation with all the research that comes out of the school. In the Boston area, BU is considered a pretty good school, although not a great school. Outside of Boston it sounds like it doesn't have a great reputation. Just from discussing with many people on this forum, it sounds like most people around the country don't know much about it. So if you're going to stick around New England BU will probably serve you well, outside of New England it may not be as helpful on your resume.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 10:02
Thanks for great reply, it definitely gives me more things to consider about the program. Like you said in your post I hadnt really considered BUs business school until i received some info from them in the mail.

I was actually worried I might not even get in, I think my GMAT score (660) is strong enough but I will only have 2 years WE under my belt come next Fall. Do you happen to have any info on the stats of students who received descent amounts of scholarship money? The $$ help is another reason I was really considering the program,
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 10:26
I don't have any stats for you, but I think your GMAT score is right around the average for the school so you should be fine.

I do know that most people get scholarships, they're pretty good about that. They are flush w/ cash.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 10:53
johnny,

Can you explain what exactly Information Systems is?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 18:51
Information systems is effectively the management of IT groups or projects. It provides a basic grounding in terms of tech, though it is no replacement for a pure CS degree if you want to be on the engineering end of the equation.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 13:02
I think Piper answered about as well as I would be able to. Information systems in healthcare are light-years behind every other industry, so I think an MIS would be pretty valuable for me, especially as a healthcare consultant.

Jason Kidd and Derek Luke, got it. Kidd may have lost a step or two but I saw this great highlight last night where he drove the lane and then behind-the-back kicked it out to Vince Carter for a three.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 18:33
There is a reason for that Johnny, lives are on the line. There is a lot of risk involved in implementing new technologies in situations where absolute reliability is required. That is why a lot of the tech that you see deployed in hospitals, spacecraft, and the military may seem a little behind the times. If you have a missile streaking toward you, the last thing you want to see is a "Blue screen of death" if you try to defend yourself ;)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 06:33
Good point, I don't want my defibrillator requiring a reboot while I'm suffering a heart attack.

But more substantially, the way patient records are maintained is atrocious. It's incredible that when people visit their doctor, handwritten notes are taken and put in a manilla folder which is then filed away with ten thousand other folders. I mean, even Jiffy Lube takes the time to punch notes into a computer about my car. It's absolutely ridiculous that everybody doesn't have the notes for every single medical treatment and consultation that they've ever had, kept on a little jump drive on their key-chain.

So the implementation of the Electronic Medical Record and other similar systems is a huge issue in healthcare and I think an MIS would be helpful for a consultant as they deal with the myriad problems companies face with implementation. For this reason, I think the BU healthcare track MBA, combined with the MIS would be a potent combo -- that is if I do in fact want to stay in healthcare.
  [#permalink] 15 Apr 2007, 06:33