Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 265
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 318

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 05:52
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (medium)

Question Stats:

27% (02:43) correct 73% (01:40) wrong based on 188 sessions
Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that early settlers brought a special variety of sunflower plant to cultivate on their arrival over 10,000 years ago. All of the sunflowers on the island today, both wild and farmed, have descended from that original variety. By studying today’s wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica, we can learn much more about that original variety of sunflower because the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have.

The botanist’s argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A)There were not other varieties of sunflowers on Tropica when the settlers first arrived on the island.

B)The wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica today are more similar to the original variety than today’s farmed plants.

C)The climate on the island of Tropica has not changed significantly over the past 10,000 years.

D)The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety.

E) Some wild plants have mutated dramatically over the past 10,000 years.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by guerrero25 on 17 Jan 2014, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 209
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 141

Premium Member
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 09:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

Premise 1: All of the sunflowers on the island today, both wild and farmed, have descended from that original variety.
Premise 2: the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have.
Conclusion: By studying today’s wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica, we can learn much more about that original variety of sunflower

Possible assumption: selective cultivation brought changes in farmed plants that will not allow farmed plants to be preferred for studying original plant characteristics but instead wild plants will help in this regard.


The botanist’s argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A)There were not other varieties of sunflowers on Tropica when the settlers first arrived on the island. -- irrelevant . How does this matter

B)The wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica today are more similar to the original variety than today’s farmed plants. -- irrelevant . It doesn't help explain uniqueness of wild plants and weakens the conclusion instead.

C)The climate on the island of Tropica has not changed significantly over the past 10,000 years.--- how does this matter. Both wild and farmed plants are affected as both have same origin. Also insufficient info

D) The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety.-- Correct as this matches our assumption. Negating this, conclusion falls apart

E) Some wild plants have mutated dramatically over the past 10,000 years.--- Weakens conclusion

Please post OA along with OE for better understanding.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 261
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 397

Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 13:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
guerrero25 wrote:
Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that early settlers brought a special variety of sunflower plant to cultivate on their arrival over 10,000 years ago. All of the sunflowers on the island today, both wild and farmed, have descended from that original variety. By studying today’s wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica, we can learn much more about that original variety of sunflower because the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have.

The botanist’s argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A)There were not other varieties of sunflowers on Tropica when the settlers first arrived on the island.

B)The wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica today are more similar to the original variety than today’s farmed plants.

C)The climate on the island of Tropica has not changed significantly over the past 10,000 years.

TD)he selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety.

E) Some wild plants have mutated dramatically over the past 10,000 years.

OA will follow


Clear D for me.

if the plant has changed during the years than there will be not point at studying the plants of today in order to discover more about the plant 10000 years ago!

OA?

Hope it helps!
_________________

Think outside the box

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 17:02
Final answer is D.......

Thanks

Last edited by Sidhrt on 23 Jan 2014, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 06:41
I'm still getting confused between B and D. Both are trying to point at the same idea that the wild plants would show more similarity with the original plant. If I negate B it opposes the conclusion made. Rather in D it has not mention the specific variety being talked about.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 209
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 141

Premium Member
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 09:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
The point here you are missing is that though we should focus on the conclusion of the argument, the assumption is an unstated premise that links conclusion to the premises.


Let's say we negate both B & D:

B)The wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica today are not more similar to the original variety than today’s farmed plants.
Does this really fall apart the argument? No. Because similarity is used very vaguely here and therefore in essence, we can't really learn more about original variety just based on this. We can't for sure say our preference with respect to both varieties.

D)The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has not led to few if any significant changes from the original variety.
What the negation then means is that farmed plants can be used for learning more about original plant even though the farmed plants are selectively cultivated. Therefore, we need not have wild plants preferred over farmed plants. I think we always need to understand the stem and try to rephrase it in our words to arrive better at the answer.

Hope this helps!!



sam163 wrote:
I'm still getting confused between B and D. Both are trying to point at the same idea that the wild plants would show more similarity with the original plant. If I negate B it opposes the conclusion made. Rather in D it has not mention the specific variety being talked about.

Last edited by mba1382 on 01 Feb 2014, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 03-14-2014
GPA: 3.42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 59

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 09:38
Option D is "The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety." which means that selective cultivation has not led to much change ("few if any significant changes") from the original variety. Isn't this opposite to what we're assuming?
_________________

Best GMAT Resources downloads-
collection-of-the-best-gmat-resources-167295.html#p1329720

May we all emerge victorious :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 209
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 141

Premium Member
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 09:47
Again you are ignoring the premise (fact) stated by the argument i.e. the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have. So what assumption are we making here is that the other variety i.e farmed plants,unlike wild plants, have changes due to selective cultivation. The point here is that we are basically stating our preference for wild plants while cancelling out the only other alternative.

:-) ...

anindame wrote:
Option D is "The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety." which means that selective cultivation has not led to much change ("few if any significant changes") from the original variety. Isn't this opposite to what we're assuming?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 03-14-2014
GPA: 3.42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 59

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 10:00
mba1382 wrote:
Again you are ignoring the premise (fact) stated by the argument i.e. the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have. So what assumption are we making here is that the other variety i.e farmed plants,unlike wild plants, have changes due to selective cultivation. The point here is that we are basically stating our preference for wild plants while cancelling out the only other alternative.

:-) ...

anindame wrote:
Option D is "The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety." which means that selective cultivation has not led to much change ("few if any significant changes") from the original variety. Isn't this opposite to what we're assuming?



I'm not ignoring that premise. Just saying that option D says that selectively cultivated farmed plants have not changed significantly. I guess the language used in the option is confusing. :?
_________________

Best GMAT Resources downloads-
collection-of-the-best-gmat-resources-167295.html#p1329720

May we all emerge victorious :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 209
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 141

Premium Member
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 10:02
Yes. That's how typical GMAT CRs are with convoluted language, making you spend time understanding language :-)

anindame wrote:
mba1382 wrote:
Again you are ignoring the premise (fact) stated by the argument i.e. the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have. So what assumption are we making here is that the other variety i.e farmed plants,unlike wild plants, have changes due to selective cultivation. The point here is that we are basically stating our preference for wild plants while cancelling out the only other alternative.

:-) ...

anindame wrote:
Option D is "The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety." which means that selective cultivation has not led to much change ("few if any significant changes") from the original variety. Isn't this opposite to what we're assuming?



I'm not ignoring that premise. Just saying that option D says that selectively cultivated farmed plants have not changed significantly. I guess the language used in the option is confusing. :?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 23:45
Thanks for the explanation! I get your point!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 92

CAT Tests
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 20:03
guerrero25 wrote:
Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that early settlers brought a special variety of sunflower plant to cultivate on their arrival over 10,000 years ago. All of the sunflowers on the island today, both wild and farmed, have descended from that original variety. By studying today’s wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica, we can learn much more about that original variety of sunflower because the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have.

The botanist’s argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A)There were not other varieties of sunflowers on Tropica when the settlers first arrived on the island.

B)The wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica today are more similar to the original variety than today’s farmed plants.

C)The climate on the island of Tropica has not changed significantly over the past 10,000 years.

D)The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety.

E) Some wild plants have mutated dramatically over the past 10,000 years.


What is wrong with option A? Negating option A results in "There were other varieties of sunflowers on Tropica when settlers first arrived on the island". Now the question says that all the varieties of sunflowers descended from the original variety that the settlers brought in.

Doesnt negating option A also break the argument? Can someone clarify?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 128
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 02:13
HKHR wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that early settlers brought a special variety of sunflower plant to cultivate on their arrival over 10,000 years ago. All of the sunflowers on the island today, both wild and farmed, have descended from that original variety. By studying today’s wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica, we can learn much more about that original variety of sunflower because the wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have.

The botanist’s argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A)There were not other varieties of sunflowers on Tropica when the settlers first arrived on the island.

B)The wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica today are more similar to the original variety than today’s farmed plants.

C)The climate on the island of Tropica has not changed significantly over the past 10,000 years.

D)The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety.

E) Some wild plants have mutated dramatically over the past 10,000 years.


What is wrong with option A? Negating option A results in "There were other varieties of sunflowers on Tropica when settlers first arrived on the island". Now the question says that all the varieties of sunflowers descended from the original variety that the settlers brought in.

Doesnt negating option A also break the argument? Can someone clarify?


Probably cause we dont know if the existing variety of sunflowers survived for 10000 years or were in significant proportion. Even i chose A but now i understood why D makes more sense.
_________________

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 312
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 43

Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 05:09
PREMISE- The wild plants have not been selectively cultivated over the years as the farmed plants have.
CONCLUSION- By studying today’s wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica, we can learn much more about that original variety of sunflower.

LOGIC-ALL THE PLANTS WERE BROUGHT 10,000 YEARS BACK. SOME SELECTIVELY CULTIVATED THROUGH FARMS......SOME GREW IN WILD.....
THOSE IN WILD ARE BETTER TO STUDY THE ORIGINAL ONES.......WHY ARE THE CULTIVATED ONES NOT ? IT MEANS THE ONES SELECTIVELY CULTIVATED DEVELOPED SIGNIFICANT CHANGES WHICH MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO COMPARE WITH ORIGINAL ONES.....


Prospect ans are "B" and "D"....
The botanist’s argument depends on which of the following assumptions?


B)The wild sunflower plants on the island of Tropica today are more similar to the original variety than today’s farmed plants....this is a stated premise ....cant be an assumption......incorrect

D)The selective cultivation of farmed plants over the past 10,000 years has led to few if any significant changes from the original variety.correct as per our logic above...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 10:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
I am leaning more towards option B.

Reasons why D cannot be the answer (my opinion). If the selected cultivation of farmed plants did not lead to any significant changes, then the author should choose the farmed plants to study the original variety of sunflower. BUT, he doesn't do that. Instead he selects the WILD variety. Now the correct assumption should explain why the author chose the WILD variety over the cultivated variety.

Option B correctly links the WILD VARIETY of today, with the original variety.

This is a question from Veritas prep and in Veritas, the correct answer is given as B.

:)
Attachments

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 1.02.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 1.02.05 PM.png [ 180.91 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 209
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 141

Premium Member
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 17:09
This is actually shocking...I guess veritas experts are the best people to comment on this. Waiting for veritas experts.

virinchiwiwo wrote:
I am leaning more towards option B.

Reasons why D cannot be the answer (my opinion). If the selected cultivation of farmed plants did not lead to any significant changes, then the author should choose the farmed plants to study the original variety of sunflower. BUT, he doesn't do that. Instead he selects the WILD variety. Now the correct assumption should explain why the author chose the WILD variety over the cultivated variety.

Option B correctly links the WILD VARIETY of today, with the original variety.

This is a question from Veritas prep and in Veritas, the correct answer is given as B.

:)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 173
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 56

Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 02:24
Yes, I am inclined towards B.

D: "Selective cultivation lead to few if any significant changes in farmed plants" means selective cultivation did NOT make any significant changes. If this is so, then how does it become an assumption for the conclusion given? which is wild plants were not cultivated over the years? D is a clear weakener.

If D said, selective cultivation made significant changes in farmed plants, THEN D makes sense. Hope to see experts opinion on this.
_________________

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 04:59
virinchiwiwo wrote:
I am leaning more towards option B.

Reasons why D cannot be the answer (my opinion). If the selected cultivation of farmed plants did not lead to any significant changes, then the author should choose the farmed plants to study the original variety of sunflower. BUT, he doesn't do that. Instead he selects the WILD variety. Now the correct assumption should explain why the author chose the WILD variety over the cultivated variety.

Option B correctly links the WILD VARIETY of today, with the original variety.

This is a question from Veritas prep and in Veritas, the correct answer is given as B.

:)

Thank god you point that out! I thought I lost my critical reasoning abilities completely. D made no sense to me whatsoever, and especially those completely nonsensical arguments in favor of D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 209
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 141

Premium Member
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 05:28
Please explain your reasoning always before you actually make harsh comments. Healthy discussion is always welcome on a forum but no mud slinging please.

Fabino26 wrote:
virinchiwiwo wrote:
I am leaning more towards option B.

Reasons why D cannot be the answer (my opinion). If the selected cultivation of farmed plants did not lead to any significant changes, then the author should choose the farmed plants to study the original variety of sunflower. BUT, he doesn't do that. Instead he selects the WILD variety. Now the correct assumption should explain why the author chose the WILD variety over the cultivated variety.

Option B correctly links the WILD VARIETY of today, with the original variety.

This is a question from Veritas prep and in Veritas, the correct answer is given as B.

:)

Thank god you point that out! I thought I lost my critical reasoning abilities completely. D made no sense to me whatsoever, and especially those completely nonsensical arguments in favor of D.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 07:29
Sorry about that but it seemed more like you were lecturing people rather than discussing the possible answers :)

mba1382 wrote:
Please explain your reasoning always before you actually make harsh comments. Healthy discussion is always welcome on a forum but no mud slinging please.

Fabino26 wrote:
virinchiwiwo wrote:
I am leaning more towards option B.

Reasons why D cannot be the answer (my opinion). If the selected cultivation of farmed plants did not lead to any significant changes, then the author should choose the farmed plants to study the original variety of sunflower. BUT, he doesn't do that. Instead he selects the WILD variety. Now the correct assumption should explain why the author chose the WILD variety over the cultivated variety.

Option B correctly links the WILD VARIETY of today, with the original variety.

This is a question from Veritas prep and in Veritas, the correct answer is given as B.

:)

Thank god you point that out! I thought I lost my critical reasoning abilities completely. D made no sense to me whatsoever, and especially those completely nonsensical arguments in favor of D.
Re: Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2014, 07:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic A botanist selects n^2 trees on an island and studies (2n + TirthankarP 12 06 Jun 2013, 19:20
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Robinson is a botanist whose dream is to reestablish an Runner2 2 20 May 2012, 14:32
If the botanist was right, the plant's failure to produce MontrealLady 1 18 Aug 2009, 17:42
The Island ggarr 7 07 Dec 2006, 17:33
1 According to some botanists, invasive plants are the second winskc 7 16 Oct 2006, 20:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Botanist: On the remote island of Tropica, it is known that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.