Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BP spends $50M in PR -- a good decision

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

BP spends $50M in PR -- a good decision [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 12:03
Recently, BP has come under fire for spending upwards of $50M on a PR campaign to get in better standing with the public. This action has been met with outrage, questioning why funds are being spent on anything but the cleanup.

This is a very interesting and complex issue. The Boycott BP Facebook page has 450K+ members and counting. The story of ineffectual management on BP's side gets more deplorable as additional facts are uncovered. And the lawsuits coming from this action will likely result in billions of dollars of damages over multiple years.

Yet, BP also has a responsibility to its shareholders, to protect the rapidly diminishing value of their shares. If they believe a PR campaign can get less people to Boycott BP and thus more profits to pay off these impending liabilities, they are duty-bound to follow up on those actions.

We may not like it, but it is a dereliction of duty (another one) if they do not do everything they can to keep the company afloat and profitable. Its too early to tell if they will come through this catastrophe, but the whole episode provides many interesting business lessons, before and after the incident.

Aveek Guha, President, MBA Day Camp

New seminars in July: http://bit.ly/aeKxsk
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: BP spends $50M in PR -- a good decision [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 21:06
Expert's post
A number of commentators speculate that the company could file for bankruptcy as soon as next month. BP is in a very bad spot right now. The situation also looks grim for Gulf residents, especially those who rely on tourism and fishing for income. Then, of course, there are the British who relied on BP stock for part of their retirement. Along with the loss of wildlife, environmental damage, and others problems facing neighboring countries, this is turning out to be a huge mess. The timing couldn't be much worse, either.

As a resident of the affected area, I can tell you that no matter what BP does or doesn't do, some people will get outraged, whether it's justifiable or not.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: BP spends $50M in PR -- a good decision [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 19:47
Interesting -- I've noticed that all of the videos on YouTube making fun of BP have BP ads scroll across the bottom.

BP also bought Google ad space for search terms like "oil spill" and "gulf of mexico.

And I agree with bmillan01 -- people are going to be very angry for quite a while
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: BP spends $50M in PR -- a good decision [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 22:57
When I saw their pr pitch on tv a few months ago, I immediately thought, horrible idea, too soon. I think before they started repairing their image, they should've repaired the leak. People are still going to be angry and not going to start forgiving until the problem is fixed first

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: BP spends $50M in PR -- a good decision   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2010, 22:57