Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Brand Name of Employer?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 12:26
How important is the brand name of the employer in the b-school application process? I get the feeling that working at a big Fortune 500 company gives you an edge over the same work exp. at a smaller less well known company. Is this true?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
Honest answer is yes...its more of a known and its easier to compare you to the typical career progressoin. However, plenty of people from small no-name companies are at every b-school. Its just easier to get in with some blue chip work experience.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 17:10
This post received
KUDOS
I work for a F500, but I still do not think people will know of my company unless they know of the industry. So I think rather than F500, it will come down to how commonly the company is to the public. I could be wrong, and I hope so, and the AdComs will know all.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall '11

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 21:29
Thanks for the feedback, guys :) Along the same note, would you say that any work for a family business will be looked upon negatively by adcom?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 10:22
wanted to up this for more opinions...my personal experience is below

"Does work experience from a smaller company hurt your candidacy at "brand whore" programs such as Harvard, Wharton, etc.? My work experience is of high quality and being in a smaller company gave me more responsibility and a better salary than I had at the F100 I worked at. I also have F100 college internship exp. and H/Y/P/S as my undergrad."

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 02:34
My own experience – yes, the name and the type of the employer matters; to which extent, depends on a particular school. And it starts to matter more in this market, when schools try to minimize their future career placement risks.

If you are young, but have a promising potential - small firms and family businesses are OK, as the adcom put more weight to academics/GMAT/community here.

If you’re an older candidate – well, it’s indeed better to be some average mid-level manager in a well-known MNC than to have a more senior position, but in a local company or in a lesser known firm. Your true level of responsibility matters not that much if this is just not ‘the right type’ of company.

The reasons for this situation are clear: adcoms and recruiters need some objective way to predict your job performance, and a well-know company name is a guarantee of a sort. And if you are a ‘big fish in a small pond’ kind of a person – no secret that you will need to try harder in your apps and interviews.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 20:36
Not admissions but my guess-

It doesn't hurt you that much as one would think. Sure a top employer (Goldman, McKinsey) helps but it is probably a lot further down the list than GMAT, Essays, real leadership experience and Letters of Rec.

I don't think its more important to have leadership experience and be able to speak to that experience.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 20:00
Hi All,

I worked in a MNC for more than 2.5 yrs. But I wanted a different experiance and so joined a Start up company. It was a step down in terms of my compensation package but the exposure was worth it. Would I be at a disadvantage in the eyes of the adcom ? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 01:41
Sorry to rehash the thread, but here's my $0.02:

your employer's brand is used as a general filter that reaffirms other parts of your application. ie) how hard is it to get into Harvard as an undergraduate? They use that as a indicator of how well you did against the competition coming out of high school. How hard is it to become a proprietary trader at Goldman Sachs, a developer at Google, or a protege at McKinsey? That's a filter. They consider your employer's brand as "the market's view" of your competitiveness. As far as I can tell, b-schools are extremely risk-averse and they don't want to take a step that is out of whack with what everyone else is thinking. If you studied underwater basket weaving at a small school in the inland mountains and ended up working part-time as an accountant for a 7-11, Columbia may wonder whether they'll be raising eyebrows by admitting you.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 12:41
Expert's post
I agree with those folks who have said that the answer to your question depends on the overall picture--your overall profile, the depth of skills you have developed, the breadth of responsibilities you have enjoyed, your leadership (in the workplace and outside), in addition to your academic credentials and GMAT. The answer also depends on the school to which you are applying.

Why pay $3700 for assistance with 1 application? Our "Early Bird" options: $925 for 1 application (Basic Package) and a Buy-1-Get-1-Set-Free at the regular Gold Package Rate. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Dr. Shel Watts is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brand Name of Employer? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 01:16
I think it helps. Now it also depends a lot on what is your overall profile because if you are an IT consultant trying to get a MBA you will be against a lot of similar profile therefore the name of your employer will be important to try to differentiate yourself from the competition however if you have a very special, unique, diversified background (2 years in New Zealand working for a small business, 3 years of NGO or if you started your own firm before moving to something else) then it won't matter as much because your experience itself will position you as a different/unique candidate .

Antoine

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
Tuck Alumni, Class of 2008

Re: Brand Name of Employer?   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2010, 01:16