Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Breaking down the RC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Breaking down the RC [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:04
Hi All,

I have read few articles to begin with my preparation on RC. I need some direction to pace myself up.
I am due my exam in a month.

My observations on my RC Performance are as below ((as per MGMAT Approach)):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. As i start reading a small passage (200 words) i am taking approximately 30-40 sec more than the expected 2 mins.
The same holds good when i am doing the Longer ones with 400 words. I end up taking additional 30-40 secs.

From the articles mentioned what i have seen is that i just need to skim through the paragraphs reading superficially, meaning not getting to the detail but making sure to read the main points.

What i have realized is that this time lapse might be because i am reading through few lines and not skimming through.

My Query:
----------
1.) Could you please help me create a direction as to how to improve on timing.(does it just come with practice?)

2.) Also after we skim through and do the "Know where"(meaning identifying what information is available in which place/para) and form a basic idea about the passage, on each question what is the permissible time to be spent.

3.) Primarily i would request you to help me with permissable timing that one can spend on RC, (please specify for both small and huge passages). How much do i spend on passage reading and how much do i spend on each question.

4.) Can a doubtful OG 12th edition RC problem be posted for discussion?

TIA

Warm Regards,
MS
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 5

Re: Breaking down the RC [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 17:57
Expert's post
If you're taking longer to read the passage, chances are you might be reading too much. You only need to read enough to capture the "idea" of the passage. Once you've figured out the structure of the entire passage, you can SKIP everything else.

You can find some examples of reading strategies here

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Breaking down the RC [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 19:59
AtniNewbie wrote:
4.) Can a doubtful OG 12th edition RC problem be posted for discussion?

Yes you can....please post under 'verbal->reading comprehension' forum

BTW I suggest you stop timing every move you make......what I mean is there is no 'permissible timing' for reading or answering questions.....sometyms you may read the passagfe fast but ur answers may need some thinking(hence tym).....sometyms it may happen the other way round....jus keep an average of 6 minutes for very short passages....8 for medium length....and 10 -11 for long long ones....(these timings include both reading the passage+ answering questions)
In essence, do what you are comfortable with....RC is important...coz if u understand on passage well , you can get 3-4 right answers with the analysis of one issue....so just dont rush in RCs....accomodate your timing in Sc/CR...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Breaking down the RC [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 20:36
Thank you upasana and gmatpill. I would be taking up this strategy and work on this for a week and track my improvement.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1189

Kudos [?]: 3173 [0], given: 178

Re: Breaking down the RC [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 06:29
Expert's post
Your ability to read effectively can have a huge impact on the amount of time you take and your overall comprehension of the passage. If you are taking more time, you need to ask yourself - why is this the case? There could be a few reasons:

1. You may be re-reading the passage multiple times. This can happen if you dont stop and comprehend.
2. Are there certain sentence structures (such as sentences with long clauses) that you have difficulty with. If so - focus on improving reading such sentences.
3. We have also found that lack of a decent vocabulary also increases the time to read.

One or more of the factors above could be responsible in your case.

We recently (10 days back) launched our RC course where we focus on all the above. We have 4 concepts just for reading strategies. Also our sentence structure concepts help you with point 2. Just take the free trial and see if that helps you improve.

All our courses go through alpha and beta testing stages. Here is what some of our beta testers had to say (one of them - Santosh improved his verbal score by 6 points in 14 days)

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Re: Breaking down the RC   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2012, 06:29