Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Breaking into the 700s.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 21:10
Hi GMATClubbers,

Background
I made a decision awhile ago that burnt my $250. I rescheduled my exam(initially 7th Sep) to late Oct. Paid the extra $250 to reschedule as I felt unprepared and most probably -tired.

I took 2 weeks off my job to study for GMAT intensively but I think it didn't worked out well (ya, I read about the guys who prepared in a week or two. Well, these are probably outliers).

Week 1: Finished Kaplan Maths, OG Maths, OG Verbal. Partially finished Kaplan Verbal.
Week 2: Did a couple of hard questions of OG12 and began to take diagnostic tests because time was running out.

Recent prep scores (all untimed except GMAT Prep):
(2nd Sept)MGMAT CAT1: 640 Q47 V31
(3rd Sept)MGMAT CAT2: 660 Q46 V34
(4th Sept)MGMAT CAT3: 680 Q42 V39 (the jump is because CAT1 and CAT2 are tougher)
(5th Sept)MGMAT CAT4: 630 Q44 V32
(5th Sept)GMAT Prep 1: 580 Q41 V29 (Can't remember the Q and V exactly)

Reasons why I am not performing
I think the reason why the score began to decrease is because of fatigue. I timed myself each day to ensure that I clock at least 7 hours of intensive study (to touch the 100 hours prep time). Also cramming 2 CAT into 1 single day is nightmare (yes, it's literary nightmare as it ended only at 1130pm!) thus I believe that the Prep1 didn't fully reflect my potential.

Another reason is that 2 weeks is really insufficient for an average test taker like me. I am a non-native english speaker, chinese asian (nope, not from China! if so my Q would've been really high).

I believe my weak point is Verbal. Materials for verbal is scarce in my country (near zero) and I will have to get it shipped here. The MGMAT CAT verbals seem to be slightly different from the GMAT Prep (maybe someone can shed some light on this?)

Objectives
1) Push the Q to Q49 and if better, Q50
2) Improve the V to a stable Q40
3) Try and achieve a 700

Course of action
Let me know if these are feasible ways to improve my GMAT

1) Sign-up for Knewton course (any takers on this?)
2) Purchase MGMAT SC,RC and CR. Number properties
3) Purchase GMAT Club Maths (Free if signup with Knewton)
4) Purchase Total GMAT Math
5) Keep a decent error log (current one is just, MESSY!)
6) Not too worried about AWA as I have a few good argument and issues templates. Also I have published in referred journals. But I will still practice the AWA.

Anyone kind to provide some constructive feedback?

Thanks guys!

Jt
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1392 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 22:06
Comments below:

avalony wrote:
Hi GMATClubbers,

Background
I made a decision awhile ago that burnt my $250. I rescheduled my exam(initially 7th Sep) to late Oct. Paid the extra $250 to reschedule as I felt unprepared and most probably -tired.

I took 2 weeks off my job to study for GMAT intensively but I think it didn't worked out well (ya, I read about the guys who prepared in a week or two. Well, these are probably outliers).

Week 1: Finished Kaplan Maths, OG Maths, OG Verbal. Partially finished Kaplan Verbal.
Week 2: Did a couple of hard questions of OG12 and began to take diagnostic tests because time was running out. So here's your problem. You didn't focus on the concepts and instead just practice brute force method. Kaplan Math isn't really the best of study guides to master concepts.

(4th Sept)MGMAT CAT3: 680 Q42 V39 (the jump is because CAT1 and CAT2 are tougher)

I think the reason why the score began to decrease is because of fatigue. I timed myself each day to ensure that I clock at least 7 hours of intensive study (to touch the 100 hours prep time). Also cramming 2 CAT into 1 single day is nightmare (yes, it's literary nightmare as it ended only at 1130pm!) thus I believe that the Prep1 didn't fully reflect my potential.

Another reason is that 2 weeks is really insufficient for an average test taker like me. I am a non-native english speaker, chinese asian (nope, not from China! if so my Q would've been really high).

I believe my weak point is Verbal. Materials for verbal is scarce in my country (near zero) and I will have to get it shipped here. The MGMAT CAT verbals seem to be slightly different from the GMAT Prep (maybe someone can shed some light on this?)

Objectives
3) Try and achieve a 700

Course of action

1) Sign-up for Knewton course (any takers on this?) Take their GMAT diagnostic. If you get a 650 or more, it's worth taking it because they have a 50 point money-back guarantee.
2) Purchase MGMAT SC,RC and CR. Number properties Definitely buy MGMAT SC. But I'd advise you to get Powerscore CR and RC.
3) Purchase GMAT Club Maths (Free if signup with Knewton): Definitely!! GMAT Club Tests are a great resource.
4) Purchase Total GMAT Math - Never used this one personally, but I've heard good things about it.
5) Keep a decent error log (current one is just, MESSY!) - Yes, once again. Keep a consistent study strategy. Check out the links in my signature for my plan to get an idea, maybe? Or search the forums for strategy threads.
6) Not too worried about AWA as I have a few good argument and issues templates. Also I have published in referred journals. But I will still practice the AWA. - AWA shouldn't matter much. Follow chineseburned's template and you're all set.

Thanks guys!

Jt
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 22:14
thanks whiplash2411. that helped!

2 questions:
1) If i take their diagnostic test and score below 650, then what should i do then?
2) How about number properties from MGMAT?

Jt
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1392 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 22:20
Number Properties is a really great book! As for getting below 650, their guarantee wouldn't help you get a 700+. But it'd still be worth taking if you feel that way. Depends on your discipline and so on.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 08:02
avalony wrote:
Hi GMATClubbers,

Background

Week 2: Did a couple of hard questions of OG12 and began to take diagnostic tests because time was running out.

Objectives
3) Try and achieve a 700

Course of action

1) Sign-up for Knewton course (any takers on this?)
I used this, it is helpful. Make sure you sign up with all the discounts. Shaselai, a member on this forum, had a good verbal experience with this course.
2) Purchase MGMAT SC,RC and CR. Number properties
I would recommend SC, and the other quant guides. For CR, I would go with PowerScore and stick to their CR strategy.
3) Purchase GMAT Club Maths (Free if signup with Knewton)
These seem good for your quant level, use these to reach 50!
4) Purchase Total GMAT Math
Not sure what this is
5) Keep a decent error log (current one is just, MESSY!)
Yes this is a good idea!
6) Not too worried about AWA as I have a few good argument and issues templates. Also I have published in referred journals. But I will still practice the AWA.
I would not worry either.

Thanks guys!

Jt

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 09:02
I have both Mgmat & Powerscore CR books, i have to agree powerscore is definitely better of the two.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 20:19
Thanks guys for the replies.

I have ordered:
1) Powerscore CR
2) Powerscore RC
3) MGMAT SC
4) MGMAT Number Properties
5) MGMAT Word Translation

Last but not least, Knewton course! 1st Class starts this thursday!

Will keep updating this thread in due time. Exam date is 30th Oct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 20:26
Hey will be waiting for powerscore RC book review from u...since its an LSAT book..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 01:54
It is healthy discussion. It will benefit me.
Intern
Intern

Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 01:55
thanks a lot
Intern
Intern

Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 01:57
I am using POWER CR . It is lengthy. I am feeling bored after reading few chapters.
Intern
Intern

Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 02:05
thanks a lot again
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Breaking into the 700s. [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 04:47
I started off my gmat prep with a Quant score of 43. This was before my mgmat experience. Once I purchased the MGMAT book and went through the first 3 out of the 5 math books, my quant score raised to Q48!! Every time I got a combinatorics question, i just guessed on it as it is my weakest chapter. So you can see how mgmat concept building have improved my quant score. I suggest you get MGMAT Guides (all 5 math ones and MGMAT Sentence Correction Guide). I also think you should invest some $ into Veritas Combinatorics Prep guide as you will encounter these questions if you are aiming for a 700+.

As for Verbal, CR was my weakest area in gmat prep but now its my strongest area after going through Powerscore CR Bible.
SC- You can improve SC from MGMAT SC Guide and Aristotle's SC Grail book. Go through the SC Grail book and then use mgmat sc guide.
RC- Purchase Aristotle RC99 and go through as many passages as you can which will help increase your RC accuracy.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Re: Breaking into the 700s.   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2011, 04:47