Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Breaking Through 550

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Breaking Through 550 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 09:51
:arrow: I am trying to get into business school, where my school of choice has told me (once I got my deferred decision) that I will gain admittance once I achieve a 550+ on the GMAT.

When I took my first GMAT assessment I achieved a 390! smh

I started studying on my own and got it up to a 440! (Still terrible)

I decided to get a tutor at $50/hr and saw NO improvement, he was able to do the work but was unable to help me the test taker!

So I said to myself "this is my dream school and this is what I really want" so I quit my job and decided to study full-time on my own. Right now I am around 490-540 with my best Quant=36 and my average Verbal=28.

My real goal is 650+ but find it very difficult to comprehend the 600-700 level math. I've hit a roadblock, I'm at an impasse and VERY VERY FRUSTRATED, can anyone lend me some good advice so that I can move on with my life, get into business school and become successful? :cry:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Re: Breaking Through 550 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 05:10
Expert's post
Hi TroyfontaineMacon,

I think I can help you with your difficulties. As a veteran Admissions Consultant with a 750 GMAT score, I have 7 years of teaching experience, a Rotman MBA, and a career in Banking. My services are targeted to professionals committed to taking their career to the next level.

I have been trained at, and have worked for two major test prep institutions, and have taught hundreds of satisfied students in Canada, the US, Hong Kong, and Tokyo. I have helped students get into Ivy League and top European MBA programs.

I specialize in:
-GMAT Teaching/Tutoring
-Application Consulting (Determining the right schools for your goals, and developing an application plan)
-Resume Building
-Essay Drafting
-Mock Interviewing

For questions or scheduling, please contact me at gmatbydavid-at-gmail.com, or visit my website at gmatbydavid.com

Looking forward to working with you!
David

Got questions?
gmatbydavid.com

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 636 [0], given: 6

Re: Breaking Through 550 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 10:18
Expert's post
Hi TroyfontaineMacon,

Keep your head up. With distractions out of the way, you should be able to dedicate extreme focus to the GMAT. But of course, you need to know what to do with your time to make the most of your preparation. Re-learning concepts is not good enough. You can understand all the angles and formulas for geometric shapes - and memorize the d = rt formula, but you can still get lots of questions wrong. So application of concepts in a timed environment is important.

As you know, tutoring costs can really add up. That's why we created GMAT Pill - to provide a tutor-like experience at a fraction of the cost. Our focus is on efficiency and identifying where the booby traps are.

For example, when I see a data sufficiency question that involves some big expression raised to the 8th power - I recognize immediately that 8 is an even exponent. And with even exponents - there an be 2 possible solutions - so there may not be enough information to definitively solve the question. This is just one example of how we show our students where all the pitfalls are so they can identify them in practice and on the real thing.

If, after going through our program, there are specific areas that you need extra assistance with - then we would recommend that you have a private tutor assist you specifically on your problem areas.

In terms of psychological preparation, make sure you read this article: http://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Breaking Through 550   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2014, 10:18