Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Media / Marketing
Schools:Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Brock MBA vs McMaster MBA (CANADA) [#permalink]
krussell wrote:
The GMAT is optional, which scared me out of it. I've also known people who went there and were unsatisfied with their educational experiences.

McMaster is a reputable school, but I don't know much about their business program. I had a boss who took his undergrad their and he did alright (managed a large parking lot company that ran the lots for most of the downtown core in Calgary) and I'm sure they have a strong alumni network. Plus, Hamilton has a ton of industry whereas St. Catherine's is a tourist town.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input. Brock requires GMAT now too, unless you have 80% overall, which usually means you can do well in GMAT anyways. But yeah, McMaster is definitely more reputable. Is McMaster comparable to big schools like Toronto, Western, York, Queens?

Right now I don't have any experience, so I was thinking of entering either McMaster's coop program or Brock's program as neither of them require work experience. Unfortunately, I bombed the GMAT, so I can't make it to McMaster this year. I could still make it to Brock as their last deadline is August 1.

Or I could get some work experience and then apply to McMaster next year or big schools in a few years. I am interested in CMA (Management Accounting), which could be done along with MBA at either McMaster or Brock. So, that was one reason I wanted to go either of these schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dalmba wrote:
I have a question for you though, which is most important to you:

Taking the MBA in Ontario
Tuition costs
Excellent Co-op opportunities
The Salary bump

If you had to rank them?

I ask because depending on how you answer you might be interested in what I'm doing now on the East Coast.

Cheers, and good luck :)

I would say Co-op would be most important as I do not have any work experience. I looked at Dal MBA, but I am interested in Accounting, which wasn't available at Dal, so I didn't apply there.

How are you liking the program? Thanks for your help!
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V42
Send PM
LoveTheGMAT wrote:
I would say Co-op would be most important as I do not have any work experience. I looked at Dal MBA, but I am interested in Accounting, which wasn't available at Dal, so I didn't apply there.

How are you liking the program? Thanks for your help!

Well Dal certainly has Accounting courses. I'm actually taking Financial Statement Analysis right online during the residency. It is true that there's no heavy accounting focus/reputation for accounting at Dal.

Doing this CRMBA has been a life changer for sure. Through the events that have cascaded since I started I've discovered my career path and made some pretty invaluable friendships and connections. I've been able to build some very meaningful and relevant work experience around social media consulting and implementation, which is actually fairly rare despite the all hype. Pretty exciting!

Glad to be able to help. If you have any questions about Dal or otherwise you know how to get in touch :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey
I see your signature says that Grades/GMAT are not the main focus for admission. So what do they use to assess you?

One reason I was interested in Brock was that it has joint CMA/MBA program. I wanted to do CMA and I could have done through three ways:
1. Take CMA accelerated program
2. Take courses at my university
3. Enroll in MBA program and take those courses there

#3 seemed best as I would be taking courses at MBA level compared to undergrad level (if I were to do #2)
#1 is just not considered best as they teach you a course in 1 day, which some students take over 1 full semester. People really don't grasp the content well in 1 day and then they struggle later on.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V42
Send PM
LoveTheGMAT wrote:
Hey
I see your signature says that Grades/GMAT are not the main focus for admission. So what do they use to assess you?

They will still use grades, but the big focus is on employability and personality. The essay you write is pretty open ended, in fact it's called a personal essay so the hint there is be personable in it. You also fill out a whole bunch of other stuff like a profile and what employer partners you think would be a good fit for you (though I don't think they use that bit to assess). Then there's the interview and that's your chance to really shine.

I think we're able to lean more heavily on the personality side of things now at least because the class size is small (50 max now, 100 later) enough and the number of incoming apps are not overwhelming (yet).

LoveTheGMAT wrote:
One reason I was interested in Brock was that it has joint CMA/MBA program. I wanted to do CMA and I could have done through three ways:
1. Take CMA accelerated program
2. Take courses at my university
3. Enroll in MBA program and take those courses there

#3 seemed best as I would be taking courses at MBA level compared to undergrad level (if I were to do #2)
#1 is just not considered best as they teach you a course in 1 day, which some students take over 1 full semester. People really don't grasp the content well in 1 day and then they struggle later on.

You are right, it kills 2 birds with one stone too because you build credits towards an MBA degree. Plus those standalone courses can cost a bundle.

Actually, Dal's friendly rival Saint Mary's University has a CMA-MBA program. They're actually holding the reputation now in the area for being "the business school" (Dal is better known for medicine). I was considering applying there before I learned of the CRMBA. If you like an East Coast experience while taking a CMA-MBA I suggest you give that program a gander. SMU is much small and us Dal jerks make a lot of fun of them but my Honours prof was from SMU, so I had some exposure to the campus and people: they're actually alright (as a Dal alum I'm not officially allowed to say anything better than that ;)).

For you I suggest you definitely follow your goals and I think a CMA-MBA combined program is an excellent choice. I also think with some extra effort you could pull off a similar learning experience with something like the CRMBA (it's been heralded as "the tailor made MBA"). I mean, there's no real "social media MBA" but that's kind of what I've done with my approach to the program. However, there are aspects to this program that may not jive with or distract you from your CMA goals so you'll have to be careful to gather all the facts about all the places you look at!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
 Q35  V48
Send PM
LoveTheGMAT wrote:
krussell wrote:
The GMAT is optional, which scared me out of it. I've also known people who went there and were unsatisfied with their educational experiences.

McMaster is a reputable school, but I don't know much about their business program. I had a boss who took his undergrad their and he did alright (managed a large parking lot company that ran the lots for most of the downtown core in Calgary) and I'm sure they have a strong alumni network. Plus, Hamilton has a ton of industry whereas St. Catherine's is a tourist town.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input. Brock requires GMAT now too, unless you have 80% overall, which usually means you can do well in GMAT anyways. But yeah, McMaster is definitely more reputable. Is McMaster comparable to big schools like Toronto, Western, York, Queens?

Right now I don't have any experience, so I was thinking of entering either McMaster's coop program or Brock's program as neither of them require work experience. Unfortunately, I bombed the GMAT, so I can't make it to McMaster this year. I could still make it to Brock as their last deadline is August 1.

Or I could get some work experience and then apply to McMaster next year or big schools in a few years. I am interested in CMA (Management Accounting), which could be done along with MBA at either McMaster or Brock. So, that was one reason I wanted to go either of these schools.

If you're into accounting and doing the CMA coursework, I'm not sure how much reputation matters. Accounting isn't Marketing or Investment Banking, and everywhere needs accountants. It's almost a trade.

Brock is a party school. If you're waiting to go back and apply to McMaster next year, I'd definitely look into applying elsewhere. Molson at Concorida, for example, has a co-op program and I know someone who worked in the admissions department and she said they'd try hard to stretch anything into "two years" of work experience. They're alot more reputable (and cheap, being in Quebec) than either Brock or McMaster. Also, UVic has a pretty steady co-op program, but they're small.

Most of the big guys (Schulich, Rotman, Ivey) work with students to get summer internships... would that take the place of a co-op?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey
I looked at Molson, not sure why I didn't apply there. Well its too late for Fall 2010 now anyways.
I am thinking of re-writing my GMAT and hopefully start at Brock in September.
I graduated recently, so I don't think I have a shot at big schools and since I know I want to go in Accounting, getting MBA from Brock and working towards CMA should be ok. The CMA/MBA Program at Brock looks attractive.
Some people say the best schools "depends on what you want to do", so if I can get into Accounting, then Brock should be ok, although McMaster's program would have been more reputable.
5-10 years from now, will my MBA even matter as much after I have all the experience?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
 Q35  V48
Send PM
Hard to say. If it was Harvard or Oxford it probably would, but I don't think Ivey, Schulich, Rotman, or any Canadian school have that much pull compared to an accomplished career.

Everything happens for a reason and an MBA from anywhere is great!

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Does anyone know the admission requirement for McMAster and Brock?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Send PM
FranklinChan wrote:
Does anyone know the admission requirement for McMAster and Brock?

Google is your friend.

https://www.degroote.mcmaster.ca/mba/standards.html

https://www.brocku.ca/business/future/gr ... ements-mba
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks.

But I think the website is outdated and not a good reflection of what their actual requirement are.

I was hoping to get some insight from people who got accepted to see what their credentials are in gaining admission.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Send PM
FranklinChan wrote:
Thanks.

But I think the website is outdated and not a good reflection of what their actual requirement are.

I was hoping to get some insight from people who got accepted to see what their credentials are in gaining admission.

It may be difficult to find perspectives from Brock/McMaster students on this board as the Canadian representation isn't great and tends to be focused on only the top programs in the country.

I'd suggest you go by the websites if you're unable to find anything from current students. I highly doubt the information is dated especially since Brock's website lists the 2010 class profile which is the most recent class.

Best of luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dalmba wrote:
To answer one of your Qs: A strong alumni network, in my opinion, is like having a giant goodie bag of low-cost yet incredibly valuable opportunities. I've been doing my MBA for less than a year and already the powerful alumni network here has affected me in great ways, some of which translated into actual dollar bills. The group of 40 of us that I'm making deep personal connections with right now? In 10-15 years I'm probably going to have like 25 friends who are all going to be in impressive business/corporate positions. The other 15 might be doing some crazy interesting stuff. Although I'm sure some will drop out of touch, you have to anticipate that.

I have a question for you though, which is most important to you:

Taking the MBA in Ontario
Tuition costs
Excellent Co-op opportunities
The Salary bump

If you had to rank them?

I ask because depending on how you answer you might be interested in what I'm doing now on the East Coast.

Cheers, and good luck :)

Hi I received a webinar interview call from Brock university.
I have few queries .Kindly reply me:
1.How good is the Brock university for MBA as compared to Southern methodist university for MS
2.What is the job placement rate after MBA from Brock?
3.Can a student owrk while studying?

Please help me with these queries as its bit urgent.
Thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys... Anyone have some new insights about McMaster vs Brock.... Please share
GMAT Club Bot