Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Brownlea s post office must be replaced with a larger one.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 337

Brownlea s post office must be replaced with a larger one. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:28) correct 48% (01:26) wrong based on 216 sessions
Brownlea’s post office must be replaced with a larger one. The present one cannot be expanded. Land near the present location in the center of town is more expensive than land on the outskirts of town. Since the cost of acquiring a site is a significant part of the total construction cost, the post office clearly could be built more cheaply on the outskirts of town.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument’s stated conclusion?

(A) The new post office will have to be built in accordance with a demanding new citywide building code.
(B) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, it will require a parking lot, but if sited near the present post office it will not.
(C) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, current city bus routes will have to be expanded to provide access.
(D) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, residents will make decreased use of post office boxes, with the result that mail carriers will have to deliver more mail to homes.
(E) If the new post office is built near the center of town, disruptions to city traffic would have to be minimized by taking such steps as doing some construction work in stages at night and on weekends.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 17 Nov 2013, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 10

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
RaviChandra wrote:
Brownlea’s post office must be replaced with a larger one. The present one cannot be expanded. Land near the present location in the center of town is more expensive than land on the outskirts of town. Since the cost of acquiring a site is a significant part of the total construction cost, the post office clearly could be built more cheaply on the outskirts of town.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument’s stated conclusion?

(A) The new post office will have to be built in accordance with a demanding new citywide building code.
(B) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, it will require a parking lot, but if sited near the present post office it will not.
(C) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, current city bus routes will have to be expanded to provide access.
(D) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, residents will make decreased use of post office boxes, with the result that mail carriers will have to deliver more mail to homes.
(E) If the new post office is built near the center of town, disruptions to city traffic would have to be minimized by taking such steps as doing some construction work in stages at night and on weekends.

IMO B, my reasoning as below:
a. this statement is not concerned with the overall cost of the post office: irrelevant to the argument.
c. bus route expansion does not affect the cost of post office construction--->the argument is unaffected.
d. may be operational cost of the post office will increase, but construction cost will not be affected-->not relevant to the argument.
e. well dont have wording to express that this argument is irrelevant to the argument.

b. it shows that the cost of construction will increase at outskirts ... this is correct option and this weakens the argument.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [2] , given: 44

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
The option which states that the construction costs will increase at the city outskirts will weaken the conclusion. Hence, B !

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 10:34
RaviChandra wrote:

(A) The new post office will have to be built in accordance with a demanding new citywide building code.>>> Does it affects the finances to construct the post office outside the city.We don't know..
(B) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, it will require a parking lot, but if sited near the present post office it will not.>>> CORRECT >>> Need more land >>> Need more money...!!!
(C) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, current city bus routes will have to be expanded to provide access.>>> Does it affects the finances to construct the post office outside the city...NO
(D) If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, residents will make decreased use of post office boxes, with the result that mail carriers will have to deliver more mail to homes. >>> Does it affects the finances to construct the post office outside the city....NO
(E) If the new post office is built near the center of town, disruptions to city traffic would have to be minimized by taking such steps as doing some construction work in stages at night and on weekends. >>> Doesn't comment on the financial implication in making the Post Office outside/inside the town...NO

OA Plz.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 12:08
this was not hard CR...dont why I picked (D)..... :oops:

should be (B)
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
Yup Every one is correct the OA is B, But i have a small doubt

if we refer the stem
Quote:
Brownlea’s post office must be replaced with a larger one. The present one cannot be expanded

ok three choice

1)Remain in the old post office building
2)build a new one in the City
3)build a new one in the outskirts

1)Remain in the old post office (is not possible because it really requires a bigger one(stated above)
this says the post office should surely be made a bigger one....(main criteria)....

Quote:
Land near the present location in the center of town is more expensive than land on the outskirts of town. Since the cost of acquiring a site is a significant part of the total construction cost

it clearly states that the land is a significant part of total expenditure.

so building in the City costs 1000Rs
&
building in the outskirts costs 250Rs..

and since its stated acquiring land costs the majority of the expenditure----parking lot cant cost more than 250 (majority more than 50%)

so building a PO(along with parking lot) cant cost more than 500,which is cheaper than building in the city....

and option B says
Quote:
If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, it will require a parking lot, but if sited near the present post office it will not...

Option b never mentioned the cost Parking lot (it may be too costly or need not be). there is a possibility that building PO(outskirts)+parking lot may be cheaper than building PO in the city alone

Please explain Guys
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 10

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 04:18
This post received
KUDOS
agreed with Ravi, guys give this a thought and come up with an explanation.
ravi, what is the source of this question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 05:48
RaviChandra wrote:
Yup Every one is correct the OA is B, But i have a small doubt

if we refer the stem
Quote:
Brownlea’s post office must be replaced with a larger one. The present one cannot be expanded

ok three choice

1)Remain in the old post office building
2)build a new one in the City
3)build a new one in the outskirts

1)Remain in the old post office (is not possible because it really requires a bigger one(stated above)
this says the post office should surely be made a bigger one....(main criteria)....

Quote:
Land near the present location in the center of town is more expensive than land on the outskirts of town. Since the cost of acquiring a site is a significant part of the total construction cost

it clearly states that the land is a significant part of total expenditure.

so building in the City costs 1000Rs
&
building in the outskirts costs 250Rs..

and since its stated acquiring land costs the majority of the expenditure----parking lot cant cost more than 250 (majority more than 50%)

so building a PO(along with parking lot) cant cost more than 500,which is cheaper than building in the city....

and option B says
Quote:
If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, it will require a parking lot, but if sited near the present post office it will not...

Option b never mentioned the cost Parking lot (it may be too costly or need not be). there is a possibility that building PO(outskirts)+parking lot may be cheaper than building PO in the city alone

Please explain Guys

IMO, significant part of the cost doesn't mean more than the total cost of the other option..>>> Refer to BLUE part above..!!
"Significant part" and "majority" are two different things

Also, given the options....B is best of the lot, No other option talks about the monetary aspects..!!

What do you suggest should be the answer..??
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
nverma wrote:
IMO, significant part of the cost doesn't mean more than the total cost of the other option..>>> Refer to BLUE part above..!!

Also, given the options....B is best of the lot, No other option talks about the monetary aspects..!!

Even though this option is best of the lot i wasnt happy with this thats all.
Thanku for the explanation
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 130 [2] , given: 194

Reviews Badge
Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 02:46
This post received
KUDOS
RaviChandra wrote:
nverma wrote:

Even though this option is best of the lot i wasnt happy with this thats all.
Thanku for the explanation

Ravi, I had the same doubt after seeing the OA and the following explanation helped me:
"d. may be operational cost of the post office will increase, but construction cost will not be affected-->not relevant to the argument."

P.S. cr-lsat-brownlea-s-post-office-77909.html#p644587
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 10:42
B for me. The option which increase the Construction cost in case its built in the outskirts of the city would be the answer.

-AD

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 09:09
straight B

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 22:56
B for me.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 09:46
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 1

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
B for me too
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 20:14
why can not be D?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:57
if we take the question easy, just B will stand out.
scope: cost of construction of post office.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:30
vitamingmat wrote:
why can not be D?

I would vote for D.

They need bigeer office, probably a lot of people are visiting it (what may be other reasons? - increased operations?- nope). They will constrcut a new office with a hope to house all customers.
in В If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, residents will make decreased use of post office boxes (I read it as relevant po services), with the result that mail carriers will have to deliver more mail to homes. - this means that people would come to the post office less and use post office boxes less.
Thus, there is a bad idea to build a new office.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Brownlea s post office must be replaced with a larger one. [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 09:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Brownleas post office [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 10:34
PTK wrote:
vitamingmat wrote:
why can not be D?

I would vote for D.

They need bigeer office, probably a lot of people are visiting it (what may be other reasons? - increased operations?- nope). They will constrcut a new office with a hope to house all customers.
in В If the new post office is built on the outskirts of town, residents will make decreased use of post office boxes (I read it as relevant po services), with the result that mail carriers will have to deliver more mail to homes. - this means that people would come to the post office less and use post office boxes less.
Thus, there is a bad idea to build a new office.

for the same reason I chose D ... What is the OA?
Re: Brownleas post office   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 10:34