Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [14]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [8]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, wil [#permalink]
I will go with B.
"The fact that brushing will reduce tooth decay does not show that fluorides are of no value."
This looks like a critisism on the passage line "So, you can forget about fluorides:....".

Please post OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, wil [#permalink]
I think it's B, cos plaque is not necessarily the only thing that could cause tooth decay. Fluorides could help with other factors causing tooth decay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

A lot of back and forthing here. Though I know you all got to the right answer, it can't hurt to think a little more generally about why this was tricky. This is a weaken question, and there are a few things you should be wary of picking when you see these. Also, predicting an assumption can be very helpful, because this is a RIDICULOUSLY common CR pattern question. Basically, you have two ways that something can happen, and because one is better than the other, the author tries to argue that the better one is the BEST thing you can do. But why not do both?

Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, will reduce your chances of tooth decay. Scientists have concluded that, when you brush, you reduce tooth decay by removing the film of plaque that forms on teeth and gums. So, you can forget about fluorides: brush your teeth carefully and say goodbye to cavities.

Conclusion: No fluoride, just brush your teeth.
Premise: Brushing teeth is good.
Assumption: Brushing AND using fluoride (or even just using fluoride alone) wouldn't be better.

Now, you're asked to critique the argument itself (rather than the conclusion), which means you're likely to criticize the premises as given, rather than bring in any new info (keep this detail in mind; it can be really helpful).

(A) Brushing with fluoride toothpaste has been shown to reduce tooth decay.
PROBLEM: We don't know if it's the brushing or the fluoride, so this actually strengthens/neutralizes.

(B) The fact that brushing will reduce tooth decay does not show that fluorides are of no value.
ANSWER: Yep. If fluorides have value, this argument sucks. Notice how CLOSE to the argument we stayed here? If a question says "weaken the CONCLUSION" it's far more likely you'll bring in new info. This one said "weaken the ARGUMENT", so we stayed within the argument as written.

(C) Few people adequately remove plaque by brushing.
PROBLEM: OK. First of all, "few people" doing anything will SELDOM be the correct answer to a strengthen/weaken. It's too anecdotal (aside from when it's being used to weaken an ALL PEOPLE DO SOMETHING kind of scenario). The second problem here is that we've brought in new information. This is less likely in a "weaken the ARGUMENT" passage.

(D) People have plaque on their teeth most of the time.
PROBLEM: That's what we're trying to help. This is something we already know.

(E) Scientists have been wrong about fluorides.
PROBLEM: We don't know what scientists said about fluorides. You could argue this weakens a TINY amount, because if scientists were wrong about fluorides, they could also be wrong about brushing. But that's a big stretch. Also, there is an implied "SOME" before the word "scientists" here, which makes this unlikely for the same reason that C was.

Hope that helps!

So if it were to ask about 'weaken the conclusion' , would C be correct?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Vscid,

No, C wouldn't be correct. I didn't mean to imply that different answer choices in the same question could be correct based on the wording, only that the wording will give you a hint to which direction you should go in, so you don't fall for traps. C is still wrong here, because it doesn't address fluoride at all. Even if brushing isn't great, that doesn't help us see that fluoride might be better/as good.

Word.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [1]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, wil [#permalink]
Kudos
Argument: Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, will reduce your chances of tooth decay. Scientists have concluded that, when you brush, you reduce tooth decay by removing the film of plaque that forms on teeth and gums. So, you can forget about fluorides: brush your teeth carefully and say goodbye to cavities.

Argument Analysis:
(1) It doesn't matter what toothpaste you use. Just brush your teeth! Brushing your teeth will reduce the chances of getting a tooth decay.
(2) Scientists have (probably) done some research and have concluded that the simple ACT of brushing removes plaque (something not good for your teeth).
(3) The Author concludes that we need to forget about "flourides". Just brush your teeth carefully and don't worry about tooth decay/cavities!

Things to note:
(1) The argument provides us with two conclusions. #1 of the scientists when you brush, you reduce tooth decay by removing the film of plaque and #2 of the authors forget about fluorides: brush your teeth carefully and say goodbye to cavities.
(2) You don't need to know what "fluorides" are (I didn't). All that matters is that the author claims that we don't need fluorides. If this word seems confusing replace it with "X". So we don't need X... cool!

Question Stem: Weaken the argument. Basically we need to go against the conclusion that we don't need fluorides (...X ;) )

Pre-thinking:
1) Well The author says that I don't need fluorides. So if I find an answer choice that says I do need fluorides then I am weakening the argument.

2) I don't really need to say that I NEED fluorides. Even if I come across a choice that says "brushing is not enough to prove that fluorides is not needed" then I'm good. Because notice the author says that we can forget fluorides. So even if we show that we can't be sure about "forgetting" fluorides then we are indeed going against the author.

Analysis:
Quote:
(A) Brushing with fluoride toothpaste has been shown to reduce tooth decay.

Okay so Brushing + fluorides is good for the teeth. But is this enough to prove that brushing alone is enough and that we don't need fluorides. Let's take a simple analogy. Let's say Bob has sensitive feet and so he goes to a shoe shop and picks up a shoe with a light + soft sole. The shopkeeper suggests that he should also buy the external "soft+ sole" that he could fit in his shoe for EXTRA COMFORT. So yes, shoe + soft+ sole is good for his feet. But Bob could still decline the offer by saying I can forget the soft+ sole, the shoe itself is enough.

Similarly, Brushing + fluorides is good BUT we could, in the authors words (and what our friend Bob said), forget "fluorides" because Brushing is enough for our teeth, just as how the shoe is enough for our feet! So (A) is out

Quote:
(B) The fact that brushing will reduce tooth decay does not show that fluorides are of no value.

Hey wait a minute, this reminds me of pre-thinking #2. This choice shows that the entire premise "brushing is good for teeth and that's all we need" is not sufficient to draw a conclusion on another factor "fluorides". Brushing may help reduce tooth decay but is this fact enough to talk about "fluorides". No!

Leets keep (B)

Quote:
(C) Few people adequately remove plaque by brushing.

That's good! But how does this show that fluorides is not needed? This choice doesn't even talk about fluorides nor provides with any information to infer anything about fluorides. Irrelevant!

Quote:
(D) People have plaque on their teeth most of the time.

All this choice says is that we humans will always have teeth with some plaque (eww!) But so what? Just like (C), this choice is irrelevant!

Quote:
(E) Scientists have been wrong about fluorides.

Okay, so now we have a choice that mentions "fluorides". Cool so lets hear it out. "Scientists are wrong" hmm... what did scientists say? Lets read the argument Scientists have concluded that, when you brush, you reduce tooth decay by removing the film of plaque that forms on teeth and gums Scientists have spoken about "brushing" "decay" "plaque and where to find it" but they do not comment about fluorides. That is something that out author does. We need to prove the author wrong, not the scientists. Since this choice negates the conclusion of the scientists, it too (like (C) and (D)) is irrelevant!

Correct Choice: B

Takeaway

We don't need to know/understand each and every term in the argument. I had no idea what a fluoride is. But that didn't matter. All I knew is that I had to show: Either that I NEED it Or that at least I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE I don't need it.

Saasingh I hope this helps :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, will reduce your chances of tooth decay. Scientists have concluded that, when you brush, you reduce tooth decay by removing the film of plaque that forms on teeth and gums. So, you can forget about fluorides: brush your teeth carefully and say goodbye to cavities.

Which one of the following is a criticism of the reasoning in the argument?

(A) Brushing with fluoride toothpaste has been shown to reduce tooth decay. - WRONG. In a way it strengthens the conclusion.
(B) The fact that brushing will reduce tooth decay does not show that fluorides are of no value. - CORRECT. So you need not forget about fluorides since it has got value.
(C) Few people adequately remove plaque by brushing. - WRONG. Few people is problem at first, though what they do is problematic. These people can be exception. which is not at all reasonable to consider.
(D) People have plaque on their teeth most of the time. - WRONG. So, no new information.
(E) Scientists have been wrong about fluorides. - WRONG. This additional info does not impact the conclusion at all. Wrong about fluorides in what way!!? Nothing conclusive is inferable.

Answer B.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts