Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

32% (02:09) correct 68% (00:46) wrong based on 22 sessions
Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, will reduce your chances of tooth decay. Scientists have concluded that, when you brush, you reduce tooth decay by removing the film of plaque that forms on teeth and gums. So, you can forget about fluorides: brush your teeth carefully and say goodbye to cavities.

Which one of the following is a criticism of the reasoning in the argument?

(A) Brushing with fluoride toothpaste has been shown to reduce tooth decay.
(B) The fact that brushing will reduce tooth decay does not show that fluorides are of no value.
(C) Few people adequately remove plaque by brushing.
(D) People have plaque on their teeth most of the time.
(E) Scientists have been wrong about fluorides.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 13:26
I am debating between B & C, I think I will go with C

A: This statement doesn't go against the fact that brushing your teeth carefully will remove cavities
B: This can be the answer, but doesn't say flourides are definitely needed
C: If this is true, then you definitely need more than just brushing, you need fluorides
D: Thats why we brush
E: In the question, scientists do not talk about flourides at all

Hope I am right...what is the OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School '13
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [2] , given: 7

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
Brushing your teeth regularly, no matter which toothpaste you use, will reduce your chances of tooth decay. Scientists have concluded that, when you brush, you reduce tooth decay by removing the film of plaque that forms on teeth and gums. So, you can forget about fluorides: brush your teeth carefully and say goodbye to cavities.

Which one of the following is a criticism of the reasoning in the argument?

(B) The fact that brushing will reduce tooth decay does not show that fluorides are of no value.

Answer: B

B actually does a fairly good job of explaining itself. Just because brushing teeth regularly removes plaque does not mean that using fluoride is useless. What if fluoride prevents plaque from being able to stick to teeth?

Or, what if brushing teeth is good only to a point, but then begins to do more damage than good? Would a combination of brushing teeth and using fluoride be more effective at preventing plaque than each would on its own?

My GMAT Debrief: my-gmat-experience-540-to-92850.html
Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. - Emerson

Intern
Intern

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 07:39
phillypointgod21, I see your point and thats why I was debating between B & C

vscid, please post OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 08:15
I will go with B.
"The fact that brushing will reduce tooth decay does not show that fluorides are of no value."
This looks like a critisism on the passage line "So, you can forget about fluorides:....".

Please post OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 08:16
A, D and E donot seem to criticize the argument as they either state the known fact or are vague

B and C are close as pointed out by yogesh

I would select B cuz it shows an apparent flaw in reasoning
While C gives an observation.

Could anyone please let me know what category would this question fall under?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 20

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
I chose E first:
if scientists have been wrong about fluorides, we cannot forget about them and brushing teeth carefully cannot guarantee the life without cavities.
After careful thinking and reading all your posts I've changed my mind and now it's B for me. Nowhere in the passage we can see that fluorides are of no value, but the conclusion states it. Yes, it's B.
Very interesting question!
Waiting for the OA and OE..... :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 10:37
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Could anyone please let me know what category would this question fall under?

I think that it is flaw in the reasoning question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 11:05
I think it's B, cos plaque is not necessarily the only thing that could cause tooth decay. Fluorides could help with other factors causing tooth decay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 13:15
OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B.

-Search before you post.

Last edited by vscid on 23 Feb 2010, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 15:00
This post received
KUDOS
Fells good to get this one right since I was the only one to select C

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against anyone...am sure there are several including you guys smarter than me...happy because I just started preparing...

Kudos appreciated :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 15:17
This post received
KUDOS
I THINK IT IS 'C'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 15:22
Errr...I'm afraid I made a mistake with the OA. It is not C but indeed B. (edited above)
Sorry Yogesh :( (I too thought it was C)

-Search before you post.

Intern
Intern

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 15:36
There goes my happiness :(

Anywayz, good to make mistakes and learn now rather than the test...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 15:39
Well said yogesh....
But vscid could you please let me know where this question was picked up from or any other pertinent info regarding the same...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 15:48
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Well said yogesh....
But vscid could you please let me know where this question was picked up from or any other pertinent info regarding the same...

The question's from Gmatbootcamp.

-Search before you post.

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 318

Kudos [?]: 667 [1] , given: 11

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

A lot of back and forthing here. Though I know you all got to the right answer, it can't hurt to think a little more generally about why this was tricky. This is a weaken question, and there are a few things you should be wary of picking when you see these. Also, predicting an assumption can be very helpful, because this is a RIDICULOUSLY common CR pattern question. Basically, you have two ways that something can happen, and because one is better than the other, the author tries to argue that the better one is the BEST thing you can do. But why not do both?

Conclusion: No fluoride, just brush your teeth.
Premise: Brushing teeth is good.
Assumption: Brushing AND using fluoride (or even just using fluoride alone) wouldn't be better.

Now, you're asked to critique the argument itself (rather than the conclusion), which means you're likely to criticize the premises as given, rather than bring in any new info (keep this detail in mind; it can be really helpful).

PROBLEM: We don't know if it's the brushing or the fluoride, so this actually strengthens/neutralizes.

ANSWER: Yep. If fluorides have value, this argument sucks. Notice how CLOSE to the argument we stayed here? If a question says "weaken the CONCLUSION" it's far more likely you'll bring in new info. This one said "weaken the ARGUMENT", so we stayed within the argument as written.

PROBLEM: OK. First of all, "few people" doing anything will SELDOM be the correct answer to a strengthen/weaken. It's too anecdotal (aside from when it's being used to weaken an ALL PEOPLE DO SOMETHING kind of scenario). The second problem here is that we've brought in new information. This is less likely in a "weaken the ARGUMENT" passage.

PROBLEM: That's what we're trying to help. This is something we already know.

PROBLEM: We don't know what scientists said about fluorides. You could argue this weakens a TINY amount, because if scientists were wrong about fluorides, they could also be wrong about brushing. But that's a big stretch. Also, there is an implied "SOME" before the word "scientists" here, which makes this unlikely for the same reason that C was.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 20:51
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

A lot of back and forthing here. Though I know you all got to the right answer, it can't hurt to think a little more generally about why this was tricky. This is a weaken question, and there are a few things you should be wary of picking when you see these. Also, predicting an assumption can be very helpful, because this is a RIDICULOUSLY common CR pattern question. Basically, you have two ways that something can happen, and because one is better than the other, the author tries to argue that the better one is the BEST thing you can do. But why not do both?

Conclusion: No fluoride, just brush your teeth.
Premise: Brushing teeth is good.
Assumption: Brushing AND using fluoride (or even just using fluoride alone) wouldn't be better.

Now, you're asked to critique the argument itself (rather than the conclusion), which means you're likely to criticize the premises as given, rather than bring in any new info (keep this detail in mind; it can be really helpful).

PROBLEM: We don't know if it's the brushing or the fluoride, so this actually strengthens/neutralizes.

ANSWER: Yep. If fluorides have value, this argument sucks. Notice how CLOSE to the argument we stayed here? If a question says "weaken the CONCLUSION" it's far more likely you'll bring in new info. This one said "weaken the ARGUMENT", so we stayed within the argument as written.

PROBLEM: OK. First of all, "few people" doing anything will SELDOM be the correct answer to a strengthen/weaken. It's too anecdotal (aside from when it's being used to weaken an ALL PEOPLE DO SOMETHING kind of scenario). The second problem here is that we've brought in new information. This is less likely in a "weaken the ARGUMENT" passage.

PROBLEM: That's what we're trying to help. This is something we already know.

PROBLEM: We don't know what scientists said about fluorides. You could argue this weakens a TINY amount, because if scientists were wrong about fluorides, they could also be wrong about brushing. But that's a big stretch. Also, there is an implied "SOME" before the word "scientists" here, which makes this unlikely for the same reason that C was.

Hope that helps!

So if it were to ask about 'weaken the conclusion' , would C be correct?

-Search before you post.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 318

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 11

Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 02:52
Hey Vscid,

No, C wouldn't be correct. I didn't mean to imply that different answer choices in the same question could be correct based on the wording, only that the wording will give you a hint to which direction you should go in, so you don't fall for traps. C is still wrong here, because it doesn't address fluoride at all. Even if brushing isn't great, that doesn't help us see that fluoride might be better/as good.

Word.

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brushing teeth [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 09:16
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Vscid,

No, C wouldn't be correct. I didn't mean to imply that different answer choices in the same question could be correct based on the wording, only that the wording will give you a hint to which direction you should go in, so you don't fall for traps. C is still wrong here, because it doesn't address fluoride at all. Even if brushing isn't great, that doesn't help us see that fluoride might be better/as good.

Word.

What would the question be for C to be the correct answer?
Re: Brushing teeth   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2011, 09:16