Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Brutal CR

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 325
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 21:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:10) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 16 sessions
None of the choice make any sense to me ! Please provide your explanation if you can single out the answer

Parland’s alligator population has been declining in recent years, primarily because of
hunting. Alligators prey heavily on a species of freshwater fish that is highly valued as
food by Parlanders, who had hoped that the decline in the alligator population would lead
to an increase in the numbers of these fish available for human consumption. Yet the
population of this fish species has also declined, even though the annual number caught
for human consumption has not increased.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the decline in the population of the
fish species?

A. The decline in the alligator population has meant that fishers can work in some
parts of lakes and rivers that were formerly too dangerous.

B. Over the last few years, Parland’s commercial fishing enterprises have increased
the number of fishing boats they use.

C. Many Parlanders who hunt alligators do so because of the high market price of
alligator skins, not because of the threat alligators pose to the fish population.

D. During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long
enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch.

E. In several neighboring countries through which Parland’s rivers also flow,
alligators are at risk of extinction as a result of extensive hunting.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 552
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 21:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

A - goes against the argument, the annaul number of fish caught has not ncreased
B - same as A
C - we are not looking for reason for decline in aligator population
D - right answer. cause and effect. less alligators --> less number of holes during dry season --> less chances of eggs surviving the dry season --> population of fish going down
E - out of scope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 22:13
rpmodi wrote:
None of the choice make any sense to me ! Please provide your explanation if you can single out the answer

Parland’s alligator population has been declining in recent years, primarily because of
hunting. Alligators prey heavily on a species of freshwater fish that is highly valued as
food by Parlanders, who had hoped that the decline in the alligator population would lead
to an increase in the numbers of these fish available for human consumption. Yet the
population of this fish species has also declined, even though the annual number caught
for human consumption has not increased.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the decline in the population of the
fish species?

A. The decline in the alligator population has meant that fishers can work in some
parts of lakes and rivers that were formerly too dangerous.

B. Over the last few years, Parland’s commercial fishing enterprises have increased
the number of fishing boats they use.

C. Many Parlanders who hunt alligators do so because of the high market price of
alligator skins, not because of the threat alligators pose to the fish population.

D. During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long
enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch.

E. In several neighboring countries through which Parland’s rivers also flow,
alligators are at risk of extinction as a result of extensive hunting.


IMO D is the answer for this

my line of reasoning is as follows :-
Premise :-
Population of aligators is going down
Conclusion
Because of this decline in the population the people of Parland were expecting that the fist popluation will increase (which has not been the case even though the there has been no extensive hunting of the fishes)
now with this in mind lets look at the answer choices

A. The decline in the alligator population has meant that fishers can work in some
parts of lakes and rivers that were formerly too dangerous. (not relevant since does not relate to the premise and conclusion)

B. Over the last few years, Parland’s commercial fishing enterprises have increased
the number of fishing boats they use. (which means that there would have been more hunting of fishes and the corresponding decline in popuation, but the question stem catagorically says against it, so ruled out)

C. Many Parlanders who hunt alligators do so because of the high market price of
alligator skins, not because of the threat alligators pose to the fish population. (does not relate to the question)

D. During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long
enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch. (now if this is to be true then a lot of fishes will go and lay eggs in the safe places and as the aligator popluation is already going down, at some point in time the fish eggs will hatch the fish population will grow)

E. In several neighboring countries through which Parland’s rivers also flow,
alligators are at risk of extinction as a result of extensive huntin. (does not relate to the question)

I agree that this look a wierd but still it is an intersting question, would like to know the OA (and OE if its there) for this
_________________

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 13:05
During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch.

How is this explaining the drop in fish numbers? It is saying that holes are filled with water and the they are safe places for eggs to hatch. if it is a safe place for the eggs to hatch, why will the pop drop? It should increase right?

The Q is asking for explanation on decline. vdhawan1's post exactly did the opposite. Does not it? Or Am I missing some thing here?

D. During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long
enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch. (now if this is to be true then a lot of fishes will go and lay eggs in the safe places and as the aligator popluation is already going down, at some point in time the fish eggs will hatch the fish population will grow)

I chose B as it seemed to be the only relevant one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 13:23
Hi mates,

IMO D

If there are less aligators --> less holes --> less safe places for the fishes' eggs

icandy, for me B is not possible because the question says: "Yet the population of this fish species has also declined, even though the annual number caught for human consumption has not increased."

OA and Source?

Regards,
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 14:14
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi mates,

IMO D

If there are less aligators --> less holes --> less safe places for the fishes' eggs

icandy, for me B is not possible because the question says: "Yet the population of this fish species has also declined, even though the annual number caught for human consumption has not increased."

OA and Source?

Regards,



Thank you for pointing the red in above I clearly missed it, Thanks again and the OA is D indeed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 428
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 04:23
Though a bit late............

me too going with D........
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Posts: 105
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 22:15
D it is.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 02:24
I agree with icandy that the reasoning u gave is actually going against the statement. The fish populations has declined and not increased as u quoted. Instead, it slould be that since allegator population is less, so less no of holes are dug which gives less chance to fish eggs to be hatched. Hence decline in fish population.
vdhawan1 wrote:
rpmodi wrote:
None of the choice make any sense to me ! Please provide your explanation if you can single out the answer

Parland’s alligator population has been declining in recent years, primarily because of
hunting. Alligators prey heavily on a species of freshwater fish that is highly valued as
food by Parlanders, who had hoped that the decline in the alligator population would lead
to an increase in the numbers of these fish available for human consumption. Yet the
population of this fish species has also declined, even though the annual number caught
for human consumption has not increased.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the decline in the population of the
fish species?

A. The decline in the alligator population has meant that fishers can work in some
parts of lakes and rivers that were formerly too dangerous.

B. Over the last few years, Parland’s commercial fishing enterprises have increased
the number of fishing boats they use.

C. Many Parlanders who hunt alligators do so because of the high market price of
alligator skins, not because of the threat alligators pose to the fish population.

D. During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long
enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch.

E. In several neighboring countries through which Parland’s rivers also flow,
alligators are at risk of extinction as a result of extensive hunting.


IMO D is the answer for this

my line of reasoning is as follows :-
Premise :-
Population of aligators is going down
Conclusion
Because of this decline in the population the people of Parland were expecting that the fist popluation will increase (which has not been the case even though the there has been no extensive hunting of the fishes)
now with this in mind lets look at the answer choices

A. The decline in the alligator population has meant that fishers can work in some
parts of lakes and rivers that were formerly too dangerous. (not relevant since does not relate to the premise and conclusion)

B. Over the last few years, Parland’s commercial fishing enterprises have increased
the number of fishing boats they use. (which means that there would have been more hunting of fishes and the corresponding decline in popuation, but the question stem catagorically says against it, so ruled out)

C. Many Parlanders who hunt alligators do so because of the high market price of
alligator skins, not because of the threat alligators pose to the fish population. (does not relate to the question)

D. During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long
enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch. (now if this is to be true then a lot of fishes will go and lay eggs in the safe places and as the aligator popluation is already going down, at some point in time the fish eggs will hatch the fish population will grow)

E. In several neighboring countries through which Parland’s rivers also flow,
alligators are at risk of extinction as a result of extensive huntin. (does not relate to the question)

I agree that this look a wierd but still it is an intersting question, would like to know the OA (and OE if its there) for this
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Brutal CR [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:18
rpmodi wrote:
None of the choice make any sense to me ! Please provide your explanation if you can single out the answer

Parland’s alligator population has been declining in recent years, primarily because of
hunting. Alligators prey heavily on a species of freshwater fish that is highly valued as
food by Parlanders, who had hoped that the decline in the alligator population would lead
to an increase in the numbers of these fish available for human consumption. Yet the
population of this fish species has also declined, even though the annual number caught
for human consumption has not increased.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the decline in the population of the
fish species?

A. The decline in the alligator population has meant that fishers can work in some
parts of lakes and rivers that were formerly too dangerous.

B. Over the last few years, Parland’s commercial fishing enterprises have increased
the number of fishing boats they use.

C. Many Parlanders who hunt alligators do so because of the high market price of
alligator skins, not because of the threat alligators pose to the fish population.

D. During Parland’s dry season, holes dug by alligators remain filled with water long
enough to provide a safe place for the eggs of this fish species to hatch.

E. In several neighboring countries through which Parland’s rivers also flow,
alligators are at risk of extinction as a result of extensive hunting.



you are going to get help when you post the question. but you would be helping others too if you post the OA.
Re: Brutal CR   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 10:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Brutal SC AtniNewbie 1 09 May 2012, 03:52
Brutal SC ashiima 0 09 Dec 2011, 22:30
Brutal SC's neeshpal 1 30 Sep 2008, 19:01
Any Brutal CR doc or questions to focus on the toughest CR Ozmba 0 29 Oct 2007, 10:06
Brutal SC # 2 empty_spaces 13 29 Jul 2007, 13:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Brutal CR

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.