Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 11:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
Hi, can someone please explain each of the answers? Thanks!

1. The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages, he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.

(A) Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages,
(B) Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp
(C) Larry walked down the ramp, with laden packages,
(D) Larry, laden with packages, walked down the ramp
(E) Larry, laden with packages, had walked down the ramp,

OA is D

2. Based on the growth rates of large modern reptiles such as the Galapagos tortoise and examinations of fossils of juvenile dinosaurs, scientists estimate that the largest dinosaurs probably lived to be between 100 and 200 years old.
(A) Based on the growth rates of large modern reptiles such as
(B) On the basis of growth rates of large modern reptiles such as
(C) Based on the growth rates of large modern reptiles like
(D) On the basis of growth rates of large modern reptiles, like those of
(E) Based on such growth rates as those of large modern reptiles like

OA is B

3. Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
B)acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
C)act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
D)they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps the Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
E)they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

OA is B

4. Anyone wishing to be considered for the position should send in their resumes before the deadline on October 10.

A) send in their resumes
B) send their resumes in
C) send in their resume
D) send their resume in
E) send in his resume

OA is A

5. The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

OA is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 12:52
Witchiegrlie, hi, I'll try to explain some, but I disagree with a couple of the official answers. I tend to do this a lot, though, so it's probably just me.

1. The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages, he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.

(A) Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages,
(B) Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp
(C) Larry walked down the ramp, with laden packages,
(D) Larry, laden with packages, walked down the ramp
(E) Larry, laden with packages, had walked down the ramp,

Sentence needs to be restrcutured to preserve the parallel actions together. In the original sentence, 'ladden with packages' acts as a modifier and breaks the parallelism, making the sentence not as clear as it should be. Now answer is between D, E.

E is wrong because it breaks the verb parallelism with the past perfect tense of walk.

2. Based on the growth rates of large modern reptiles such as the Galapagos tortoise and examinations of fossils of juvenile dinosaurs, scientists estimate that the largest dinosaurs probably lived to be between 100 and 200 years old.
(A) Based on the growth rates of large modern reptiles such as
(B) On the basis of growth rates of large modern reptiles such as
(C) Based on the growth rates of large modern reptiles like
(D) On the basis of growth rates of large modern reptiles, like those of
(E) Based on such growth rates as those of large modern reptiles like

On the GMAT, people doesn't do anything based on something. But that anything can be based on something. Little confusing. Plans can be based on something, but scientists do not base their conclusions on x. huh? Sorry if I can't explain it better. Just know that when you see a sentence like this: Based on...., people is wrong. So you are down to B, D

D is wrong because it uses 'like'. 'Like' should be used to express similarity. 'Such as' is the right expression. Use 'such as' to give examples.

3. Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
B)acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
C)act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
D)they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps the Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
E)they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

After reading the sentence, you can tell that the sentence 'acting as global...' is modifying not only solar radiation, but 'reflect and absorb solar radiation'. So the best here is an 'ing' connector. Also, this one was easy because C, D and E didn't had a real connector. Now you are down to A, B.

A is wrong because of the parallelsm. burning..., they also accelerate. burning..., while also accelerating sounds much better.

4. Anyone wishing to be considered for the position should send in their resumes before the deadline on October 10.

A) send in their resumes
B) send their resumes in
C) send in their resume
D) send their resume in
E) send in his resume

I don't see why A is the right answer here (remember I told you I disagree a lot?). Anyone is singular. Their refers to a plural noun. Only answer choice E has a singular pronoun. I don't like E either, though. The right way to fix their is with his or her. Comments anyone?

5. The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

I have my doubts on this one and I hope some clarify it better. A, C, and B are out immediately, because it makes it seem like language variations originated something else. It needs a passive voice like 'that were originated' to be correct. down to D, E.

E is out because of parallelism. perpetuated is correct. Correct answer is D.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 13:20
Thanks for the explaination. I pretty much ended up with the last 2 answers and chose the "other" one.

I do still have a question on this one:

After reading the sentence, you can tell that the sentence 'acting as global...' is modifying not only solar radiation, but 'reflect and absorb solar radiation'. So the best here is an 'ing' connector. Also, this one was easy because C, D and E didn't had a real connector. Now you are down to A, B.

A is wrong because of the parallelsm. burning..., they also accelerate. burning..., while also accelerating sounds much better.

How is A wrong?

If you take out the modifier, it reads:
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

However if you insert B it reads:

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, while also accelerating the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

I don't see how B is correct when A is the correct parallel form - "Although ice particles...REFLECT......, they also ACCELERATE...."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 14:10

You are missing an 'and' that is closing the list. I think this can be an easy mistake for us to do, though.

That 'and' is telling the reader the list of elements ends after the next one. Reflect and absorb. It would be different, though, if The sentence read:

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect, absorb solar radiation, acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, and (they also) accelerate...

Also note that the phrases are not parallel: they reflect, absorb, and they accelerate. You either add 'they' on absorb or you remove 'they' on accelerate. The first scenario doesn't read well, and since you can't change it...

That's why I think B is better. May be wrong. Hope it helps.

Question. Where did you get your set of Brutal SCs? The one I downloaded yesterday doesn't have answers. Do you mind sharing it? Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 10:46
Witchiegrlie wrote:
Thanks for the explaination. I pretty much ended up with the last 2 answers and chose the "other" one.

I do still have a question on this one:

How is A wrong?

If you take out the modifier, it reads:
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

However if you insert B it reads:

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, while also accelerating the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

I don't see how B is correct when A is the correct parallel form - "Although ice particles...REFLECT......, they also ACCELERATE...."

I think one other thing that could help choose between A and B is that B has "acting as a global thermostat"...which is correct. A has "acting as global thermostat" which is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 11:02
can you give us some more info on when to use 'a' ?
thanks finder!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 13:17
Witchiegrlie wrote:

A) send in their resumes
B) send their resumes in
C) send in their resume
D) send their resume in
E) send in his resume

OA is A

E. needs singular possesive pronoun, his/her.

A is clearly wrong.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 05:53

OA is B

Cant believe no one is correcting this answer.. The answer is obviously wrong - just try removing the redundant parts and you will see whats wrong with B.

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, they also accelerate[/u] the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

benefit // accelerate

Now, by choosing B,you are essentially saying

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, while also accelerating the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons .

If "although" isnt present in this sentence I would be very tempted to go with B, but with "although" present at the beginning, using "while also accelerating" doesnt complete the sentence.

Last edited by ss87 on 28 Nov 2011, 09:02, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 07:37
Himalayan wrote:
Witchiegrlie wrote:

A) send in their resumes
B) send their resumes in
C) send in their resume
D) send their resume in
E) send in his resume

OA is A

E. needs singular possesive pronoun, his/her.

A is clearly wrong.

me too with E when the option is modified to his/her

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 21:47
A - is definitely wrong -- subject-verb issue
E is the best choice at hand.
Re: Brutal SCs - 5 question with answers   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2011, 21:47