Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bschool and having a family. Does this affect admissions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 129

Premium Member
Bschool and having a family. Does this affect admissions? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 09:28
I'm 31, and from what I've read (Aringo's "be realistic"), this affects my chances of getting into bschool negatively.

I am also married with two kids (ages 1 and 7). Is this a pro or con? That is, is this something I should mention in my application (essays) or not?

Is it advisable to list "fatherhood" as an EC with a leadership role? :P

Edit: A con, for example, might be that I may not be immersed or active in the social aspects of bschool life due to familial obligations.
A pro might be that it sets me apart from other applicants making me unique?

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Last edited by farful on 18 Sep 2013, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -2 [0], given: 8

Re: Bschool and having a family. Does this affect admissions? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 09:41
farful wrote:
I'm 31, and from what I've read (Aringo's "be realistic"), this affects my chances of getting into bschool negatively.

I am also married with two kids (ages 1 and 7). Is this a pro or con? That is, is this something I should mention in my application (essays) or not?

Is it advisable to list "fatherhood" as an EC with a leadership role? :P

How are you planning to mention it?
I do not think it makes any impact ( positive or negative) to your application.
What counts is your achievements, your job profile, your academics and your GMAT score.

However, if you want to put this somewhere, one optimal place would be in the essays which talk about your day to day experineces.
You can relate to some specific incident with your family and potray it in a healty way.

Please press KUDOS button on the left if my post helped !!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 1

Re: Bschool and having a family. Does this affect admissions? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

While having children can be a second job in and of itself, let's talk about a few things.

1) I am pretty sure you were joking about listing it as an EC but in case you weren't, no - that doesn't quite count. So if you put it there, even if you mean it light heartedly, its going to look strange.
2) It's not a negative - there are plenty of students without kids who don't engage with the class. Don't mistake a lower percentage of students with children as a sense that they tend to reject parents. They don't. Plain and simple.
3) How you mention it will be important. I know this is going to frustrate you but I'll say it anyway: I can't tell you if it's a good idea or not without knowing which schools and which essays and your overarching story fully. You might be able to mention it for some programs and not others. In some it might make more sense to put it in the heart of the application and for another as a check mark on the online form. It truly depends.
4) As for pulling an experience from fatherhood to write about - be careful here. It had better be an AMAZING example to even warrant consideration. We have never had our clients who have children write an essay about a parenting experience. That should hopefully give you an idea of the skepticism I'm exhibiting on this side of the keyboard.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

Re: Bschool and having a family. Does this affect admissions? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:05
Expert's post
Oh - I forgot to mention. If the school has a "fit" essay - there are a TON of activities you can highlight as a parent and a husband that would plug you into the community, the school, and the city.

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Bschool and having a family. Does this affect admissions?   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2013, 14:05