Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bschool with good placement cell

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Bschool with good placement cell [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 07:01
Hi,
I am an international student and planning to apply this year. I want to know which top 30 US bschools have excellent placement cell. I know many people say that you dont go to bschool only for a high paying job but for knowledge, contacts,etc etc.. But, whats the point if I dont get a decent job after my MBA? Any comments on placement cell of Ross,Duke , Kelly, be really helpful...
I apologise for reposting here....
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 37

Re: Bschool with good placement cell [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 09:24
Hello there, an MBA from a top b-school doesn't automatically grant you an awesome full-time job offer at the end of graduation. People work for that by going to events, schmoozing with recruiters, and such. Having said that, you're absolutely right: what's the point if one doesn't get a decent job post-MBA? But same argument could be made for anything. Why did you go to college and spend 3 or 4 years there? Because you believe that you can have a better job. Because you hope that you are able to get a higher paying job. Are you guaranteed a job after your undergraduate study? Chances are, no. But you still pursued it, right? So now the same question lies ahead: why do you want to spend another 2 years getting an MBA? Because you are hoping that the time spent in business school can lead to a higher return on investment. Lastly, you can see all the published employment report on all the top schools (probably for all schools; and for schools that don't publish that, I wouldn't even apply in the first place). Simply go google, for example, Chicago Booth Employment Report and you'll find the latest and greatest report on it. Then you can make the determination whether you want to pursue that 2-year education from a certain school. However, no one, not even Harvard Business School, can guarantee you a job after these 2 years. A lot of it has to do with the person him/herself.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 15

Re: Bschool with good placement cell [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 09:27
Well said..

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Bschool with good placement cell [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 20:19
Thanks for the reply...
I totally agree with you that it depends on the person.. I guess I was not able to explain my question...
Let me give an example.. I did my undergrad degree from an top ranked college..This particular college has a very good placement cell..By this I mean, the placement coordinators takes lot of effort in using their industrial contacts in bringing the companies for the campus interviews...And chances of the students getting selected in a company drastically increases when a company visit to the campus vis a vis when a student approaches a company.. and being a reputed college many companies exclusively visit the college..
As you said one way to find out how good the placement cell is to use the placement report published by the college.. But again colleges don’t publish any data for international students.. How many of them applied and got the job..
I agree with you that lot of it depends on the student and how he approaches and builds the contacts.. But some help from the placement cell would be great… :-D
FT has a ranking for the placement cell for the colleges.. But I see they have place Michigan Board on 4th place ahead of Harvard.. Hard to believe that...
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 37

Re: Bschool with good placement cell [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 21:17
Ah, got your point from this second message. To view job potentials for international applicants may be a bit harder. What you can do is try to contact AdComs and see what the statistics are; however, most of the time the adcoms are more likely to say that what they had already published is what they will publish. Perhaps an international student may chime in and shed some views?

I will put in my input though. All top b-schools will have your big recruiters come and recruit students. So if you're gearing towards banking, know that Goldman Sachs, BoA, and the sorts will be there. If you're going for consulting, BCG, Bain, and McKinsey will be there. Doesn't matter where you're at, they'll be there, but it's just about the students themselves proving themselves.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Bschool with good placement cell [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 18:40
thank you for your thread
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Bschool with good placement cell [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 09:18
The only way to get this information is probably from current/past students. Two points on top of that.

1) It is hard for internationals if they want to stay in the US & I think this is no fault of career services. It's a fact of life that many US employers don't want to go through that hassle. In my experience so far, if you're willing to go back to a country where you have work authorization, recruiting isn't as difficult.

2) You aren't likely to get very detailed information about placements prior to being admitted, however, after you're admitted you can certainly ask for more information and they should give it to you as it's a reasonable request. It does not surprise me at all that U of M has high career services rankings. After I was admitted there, they were VERY transparent about the recruiting process & gave me exactly what I asked for the same day I asked for it. It was like pulling teeth to get the same information out of some other schools (and I actually still didn't get all of it). These schools easily have this information at their fingertips & should be able to quickly give it to you, so if you are admitted (not just an applicant) and they won't give it to you, then weigh that as another factor in your decision as to where to go.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Re: Bschool with good placement cell   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2010, 09:18