Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with choosing MBA programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 10:09
Folks,

I am looking to apply in Round 2 and the deadlines are around 7 Jan. I have been following the forums here for the past few months and hopefully someone can help me gain better clarity.

Here is my profile:
30 years old
Work Experience is 8 years in IT Consulting
Engineering Undergrad from Big 10, GPA 3.0
GMAT 690 (One attempt)
Recommendations will be excellent (Direct Supervisors based in France and US)

My primary goal out of an MBA is to attain strong general management skills to move from IT Consulting into a Product development position for a software company. Alternately, I would like to keep my options open to make a career change into Investment Banking or Management Consulting.

The schools I am looking to apply are

1. Fuqua - This seems like the best fit. Strong general management, lots of tech companies hire here.
    2. Kellogg - They are strong in marketing and can help me go in whatever direction that I decide post MBA
    3. George Town - I feel like this is an upcoming MBA program and 10 years down the road will be a top 15 program. The location and focus is great. It will be easy to get into IB role on East Coast or a management position at Federal
    4. OSU Fisher - I am based in Ohio. Not very satisfied by the placement stats for this school though. If I do decide to settle down in Ohio, this would be great option

Are there any other schools I should be looking into? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 19:11
bump
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 19:18
Expert's post
The first 3 schools you listed could potentially get your to a product manager role at a tech firm. OSU is a very regional school, and software/tech is not strong in Ohio or Midwest. Getting into the upper echelon of i-banking or consulting is more difficult from Georgetown. Have you given thought into where you want to settle after business school? This may come into play later on. At this point, it is too late to rush an application/recommendation in for another school. I would focus your effort on putting together the best application possible for the schools you already applied for.

Best of luck!

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 20:48
East Coast, to settle down.

So you are saying it would be difficult to get into I-Banking from Georgetown? I heard its a powerhouse for IB. There is even an article on poets and quants about that.

It looks like Duke/Kellogg are my best options then?

asimov wrote:
The first 3 schools you listed could potentially get your to a product manager role at a tech firm. OSU is a very regional school, and software/tech is not strong in Ohio or Midwest. Getting into the upper echelon of i-banking or consulting is more difficult from Georgetown. Have you given thought into where you want to settle after business school? This may come into play later on. At this point, it is too late to rush an application/recommendation in for another school. I would focus your effort on putting together the best application possible for the schools you already applied for.

Best of luck!
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 09:20
Expert's post
fullymooned wrote:
East Coast, to settle down.

So you are saying it would be difficult to get into I-Banking from Georgetown? I heard its a powerhouse for IB. There is even an article on poets and quants about that.

It looks like Duke/Kellogg are my best options then?

It is difficult to get into the more prestigious i-banking firms from Georgetown.

Looking at their employment statistics, top banks such as Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley are absent.

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Re: Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 09:32
Thank you. Besides m7 what are some programs that are good schools for top ib and consulting firms.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 13:44
fullymooned wrote:
Thank you. Besides m7 what are some programs that are good schools for top ib and consulting firms.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Ross has some pretty impressive MBB numbers and also place well at Accenture and Deloitte (according to their latest employment report).

http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/MBA/MBA_Empl_rep.pdf

Darden is pretty good too. Problem is both of these schools RD 2 deadlines are very soon and RD 3 is a crap shoot.

Johnson places well in IB, more importantly it's RD 3 deadline is Feb 12 (it's not like other schools RD 3 since they still accept applications on a rolling basis until the end of April to fill out the class. (They didn't really get rid of RD 4 so much as they changed the way they review them.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Help with choosing MBA programs [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 00:15
You have a decent GMAT score and GPA. A work-experience of 8 years will definitely help you. I assume you must have had good leadership responsibilities during your work experience. Because if you did not, getting into Fuqua and Kellogg will be difficult for you. You also need to be clear with your post mba goals to stand a chance at your target schools. You have not mentioned anything about your extra-curriculars here. They are an equally important part of your application. You have to create a very good application to get into your target schools. For any help in this regard you can go through the following link: http://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Re: Help with choosing MBA programs   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2014, 00:15