Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

bu vs babson

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

bu vs babson [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 09:39
I have to choose between BU and Babson for my evening mba. I am from biotech/bioinformatics background.
babson has a reputation for entrepreneurship program but no-one candidly discusses about any other side (may be the program is so perfect that there is no other side).
also, which school is more reputed or recognized within new england/usa/world?

any suggestions?

- samak
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: bu vs babson [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
makmba wrote:
I have to choose between BU and Babson for my evening mba. I am from biotech/bioinformatics background.
babson has a reputation for entrepreneurship program but no-one candidly discusses about any other side (may be the program is so perfect that there is no other side).
also, which school is more reputed or recognized within new england/usa/world?

any suggestions?

- samak

I think more ppl knows BU than Babson internationally. But again, the preception is formed by its UG institute. Of course, if you pick babson, why do you care the preception since you are suppose to start a business afterward - what the school will train you for.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: bu vs babson [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 10:17
Appreciate your reply.

I'll not necessarily be starting business right after school. entrepreneurship (ES) mindset can help in small start-ups (certainly) but even in big companies.

I'm not sure whether too much focus on one thing actually makes babson program too narrow and might fail to give me the broader look necessary to explore multiple areas. sometimes PR for program goes to the point that it looks an oversell because it doesn't get reflected in their recruiting or reputation records (as it is still a tier 2 school like BU compared to tier 1 schools like mit, harvard in the boston area). Still they have a formidable ranking 1 in ES for more than 15 yrs which means something.

on the other hand, bu has more advantage in terms of diversity, reputation and still a more broader program with lots of concentrations to choose from. it is possible that i will find my area-of-real-interest after finishing my core courses and need to have that option of choosing detailed focus area at that time instead of choosing ES and later realizing that is not what i want to pursue.

- samak
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: bu vs babson [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 23:06
makmba wrote:
Appreciate your reply.

I'll not necessarily be starting business right after school. entrepreneurship (ES) mindset can help in small start-ups (certainly) but even in big companies.

I'm not sure whether too much focus on one thing actually makes babson program too narrow and might fail to give me the broader look necessary to explore multiple areas. sometimes PR for program goes to the point that it looks an oversell because it doesn't get reflected in their recruiting or reputation records (as it is still a tier 2 school like BU compared to tier 1 schools like mit, harvard in the boston area). Still they have a formidable ranking 1 in ES for more than 15 yrs which means something.

on the other hand, bu has more advantage in terms of diversity, reputation and still a more broader program with lots of concentrations to choose from. it is possible that i will find my area-of-real-interest after finishing my core courses and need to have that option of choosing detailed focus area at that time instead of choosing ES and later realizing that is not what i want to pursue.

- samak

welcome.

try to find out what area you feel to be interested in upon graduation (even broad one) and analyze that field in terms of those two schools.

You can try even linkedin.com to see average postgraduate profile.

Anyway, your choice will be the best :-D
Re: bu vs babson   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2011, 23:06