Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Budding Impact Investor / VC - Are these the right schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Budding Impact Investor / VC - Are these the right schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 10:08
Hi there - I've listed my profile below but what I'd specifically like is your insights into the following:

Am I competitive at these schools? Any other schools I should target instead of the ones here?
This is my story and can't really change it but is it compelling? Any other aspects of my background / experience worth emphasizing?

Any thoughts / guidance would be valuable. Thanks in advance!!!

Full-time work experience
61 months of WE at matriculation. Managing a strategic initiatives team within the Risk function of a large international bank. Promoted to VP within 2 years. Youngest VP across all of the Risk function. Build a Technology Risk program for the bank from scratch. Liaised with regulators and senior leadership on a regular basis. Worked in consulting for a year before that.

Community Leadership Experience
Board member for the past 3 years at a Chicago area non-profit focused on assisting refugees with their careers. Responsible for raising funds, event planning and volunteer engagement

Formerly VP of Marketing for a Professional organization for Technology Risk practitioners. Ran marketing campaigns and put together speaker events (operated very much like a b-school professional club)

Other interesting things about me
Third culture kid: Indian born & raised in Dubai and moved to the US for school
Lost 70 pounds in 6 months while at Purdue after being obese all my life (in a community where childhood obesity was very rare)
Performed at the House of Blues in Chicago

GMAT 710 (Q47 V40) AWA 5.5

College
Undergraduate: Purdue University, Double Major - Mathematics & Computer Science (Minor in Psychology)
GPA: 3.09 (I'm worried about this - but there is an upward trend)
Semester Honors in 3 out of my last 4 semesters

Graudate:Purdue University, MS in Information Security, GPA: 3.55
Worked as an academic researcher for 1 year after completion of coursework
Certfications: CISM (Certified Information Security Manager)

Post-MBA goal
My work as a board member at the non-profit gave me some insight into needs in adult education. I want to use this insight and my management and tech background to become an impact investor / venture capitalist focused on technology businesses that make education more accessible and affordable. I see business school followed by corporate M&A / strategy experience in such businesses as a stepping stone to becoming a successful investor

Target Schools
I'm looking specifically at schools with the following: (1) strucutured vc / entrepreneurship programs that will give me hands on deal valuation or early stage startup experience while at school; (2) strong ties to the VC/PE / Entrepreneur community; (3) an energetic cohort and lots of school pride - which turns into a passionate alumni network later on

Here are the schools I'm applying to so far:
R1:
Texas (McCombs)
Duke (Fuqua)

R2:
Michigan (Ross)
Northwestern (Kellogg)
Stanford / HBS - haven't decided yet
Berkeley (Haas) / UCLA - haven't decided yet
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Budding Impact Investor / VC - Are these the right schools? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 13:23
Expert's post
babum10 wrote:
Hi there - I've listed my profile below but what I'd specifically like is your insights into the following:

Am I competitive at these schools? Any other schools I should target instead of the ones here?
This is my story and can't really change it but is it compelling? Any other aspects of my background / experience worth emphasizing?

Any thoughts / guidance would be valuable. Thanks in advance!!!

Full-time work experience
61 months of WE at matriculation. Managing a strategic initiatives team within the Risk function of a large international bank. Promoted to VP within 2 years. Youngest VP across all of the Risk function. Build a Technology Risk program for the bank from scratch. Liaised with regulators and senior leadership on a regular basis. Worked in consulting for a year before that.

Community Leadership Experience
Board member for the past 3 years at a Chicago area non-profit focused on assisting refugees with their careers. Responsible for raising funds, event planning and volunteer engagement

Formerly VP of Marketing for a Professional organization for Technology Risk practitioners. Ran marketing campaigns and put together speaker events (operated very much like a b-school professional club)

Other interesting things about me
Third culture kid: Indian born & raised in Dubai and moved to the US for school
Lost 70 pounds in 6 months while at Purdue after being obese all my life (in a community where childhood obesity was very rare)
Performed at the House of Blues in Chicago

GMAT 710 (Q47 V40) AWA 5.5

College
Undergraduate: Purdue University, Double Major - Mathematics & Computer Science (Minor in Psychology)
GPA: 3.09 (I'm worried about this - but there is an upward trend)
Semester Honors in 3 out of my last 4 semesters

Graudate:Purdue University, MS in Information Security, GPA: 3.55
Worked as an academic researcher for 1 year after completion of coursework
Certfications: CISM (Certified Information Security Manager)

Post-MBA goal
My work as a board member at the non-profit gave me some insight into needs in adult education. I want to use this insight and my management and tech background to become an impact investor / venture capitalist focused on technology businesses that make education more accessible and affordable. I see business school followed by corporate M&A / strategy experience in such businesses as a stepping stone to becoming a successful investor

Target Schools
I'm looking specifically at schools with the following: (1) strucutured vc / entrepreneurship programs that will give me hands on deal valuation or early stage startup experience while at school; (2) strong ties to the VC/PE / Entrepreneur community; (3) an energetic cohort and lots of school pride - which turns into a passionate alumni network later on

Here are the schools I'm applying to so far:
R1:
Texas (McCombs)
Duke (Fuqua)

R2:
Michigan (Ross)
Northwestern (Kellogg)
Stanford / HBS - haven't decided yet
Berkeley (Haas) / UCLA - haven't decided yet

It sounds to me like you did essential work for the bank, but I'm worried that it doesn't involve you making business decisions as much as building a tool for others to use to make decisions. The strong extracurriculars will help your case, but I'm not seeing Harvard/Stanford/Haas in this profile. Your chances should be better at the other programs you listed.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog