Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 07:46
Excellent explanation Rao .. Correct Answer E .
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 08:32
mrinal2100 wrote:
i thought B but the ans is E

Its E. A case of Subjunctives... 'Should +be' usage is the perfect
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 22:58
In E 'only because' is a bit of strange usage.

duplication of facilities should be avoided is better usage than the other way round.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 06:31
I thought it was B. E seems like a strange answer.

Lesson learnt: would <....> if <....>

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 01:14
I am still sticking to B ..E is not sinking in ..:(

Can someone say why B is wrong

Posted from my mobile device Image

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 01:39
Jammy1976 wrote:

Hi Jammy ;
There are 2 things.
1. Usse of subjunctive .. If.....would + 'be' form of verb.
2. On the basis/grounds of X means an acknowledgement that X has happened. But in the present case X hasnt happened.so Eliminate B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 24

Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 13:17
Jammy1976 wrote:

gmataspirant2009 wrote:
184. Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.
(A) on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone
(B) on the grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone
(C) solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided
(D) while the duplication of facilities should be avoided
(E) if only because the duplication of facilities should be avoided

There are quite some reasons why E is correct:
Reason#1 : Presence of comma which calls for a clause to explain the cause of non underlined sentence. We dont need that comma if we are using phrases "on the basis of ..." or "on the grounds of ...". This is a good enough reason to kick A and B out.

Reason#2 : It is typical cause-effect scenario where battle between "in that" and "because" happens. Spideys notes does say that "in that" (as in C) is mostly correct, but it is not so. This is a typical example of that. If any time, a "why" needs to be addressed, we have to use a "because" and that is what E does. So C is gone.

Reason#3 : Idiom to be crammed "if only because" :( Even I learnt it hard way.
"If only" is an addendum to "because" which specifies that there is no other reason apart from this reason.
http://www.englishforums.com/English/If ... d/post.htm

Jack ate the last cookie if only because he wanted to wash the plate.
Jack ate the last cookie because he wanted to wash the plate.

The difference is that the second sentence leaves out the idea that the only reason for eating the cookie was to wash the plate. It also leaves out that certain stylistic 'something' that the first has. The reason in the first sentence has a certain subtractive value, whereas the reason in the second has additive value. In the first sentence, but only because might replace if only because. In the second sentence, one can easily imagine extending the thought with further reasons: because ... and because ... and because ...

Once you know Reason#3, it is flat E.

But even if you know only Reason#1 and 2, you should be able to get rid of A,B, and C. Usage of while is really bad in D to kick it out.

HTH

I am really not sure how this is a subjunctive, because I am not able to figure out "unreal" condition here which has to be there in an interrogative(if-kind of) subjunctive.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 24

Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 13:40
sudhir18n wrote:
Jammy1976 wrote:

Hi Jammy ;
There are 2 things.
1. Usse of subjunctive .. If.....would + 'be' form of verb.
2. On the basis/grounds of X means an acknowledgement that X has happened. But in the present case X hasnt happened.so Eliminate B.

@Sudhir18n
Can you elaborate on how the 2 things you specified with some examples?
1. I do not find any reason to accept E on the grounds of subjunctive usage because first, it does not have any unreal condition and second, a would/should can not creep in an if clause of a subjunctive as per my understanding.
2. I think author of this sentence has clearly specified that "avoiding duplicated facilities" is happening. And that is the reason why it will be wasteful to do all the hospital building.
Let us take this scenario. "She may be acquitted on the grounds of her unmature pregnant status" In this scenario, I can also say that a future decision will depend on some future state.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 06:13
I agree that IF and WOULD should not be in the same clause. BUT we cannot consider the If-clause hypothetical subjunctive mood either, because SHOULD must not be present anywhere in the If sentence. I thought If..hypothetical subjunctive, then conditional. Please clarify. I am still confused between B and E
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 10:38
key points here:
1.Subjunctive mood: Were/Would...IF
2.'If' and 'Would' should not be in the same clause
3. 'if only because' is a special phrase
4. 'Duplicated facilities' -INCORRECT
'Duplication of facilities'- CORRECT
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 06:32
Quote:
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.

Answer: E

This is what I think it is...

A, B and C - 'on the grounds of', 'on the basis of' and 'solely in that':
In most cases, for these choices to be correct, you need a person or a body (govt agency or organization) to be present (or implied to be present) in the statement.

Sentence structure:
What comes before 'On the grounds of' and 'On the basis of' ...should involve an action or a decision (usually, between two choices i.e. polarity should be present e.g. to do or not to do, to agree with or not to agree with, to terminate or to continue...etc)
What comes after 'On the grounds of' and 'On the basis of' ...should be the reasoning/logic, which substantiates the choice of action or stand that a person or body has decided to go with
E.g. He terminated his contract with AT&T on the grounds of frustration.
E.g. Thaddeus is suing Bartholomew on the basis of U.S. patents or U.S. laws.

C is almost a variation of A and B - 'solely in that' is akin to 'the reason being'.

In the question:
1. No specific person/body
2. No obvious polarity and choice made between two options before 'on the grounds of/on the basis of'

Soooooooo...answer is most probably not A, B or C.

For 'D', 'while' is usually used when two things happen simultaneously.
E.g. While Sally plays, Sue works.
E.g. While I work hard, I make sure to play hard as well.
This is not the case for the above question statement. Hence, incorrect!

If you look at the question wholistically, is building hospitals a wasteful use of resource in reality? NO! So, that means this is a conditional situation. Therefore, answer should be E even though it sounds a little awkward.

Hope this helps! :lol:

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Intern
Intern

Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 12:24
Guys,

Sorry this question, but this kind of discussions are new for me.

Do you known the final answer or you are just speculating?

Thank you,
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: WBS '15
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.36
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 20:24
so we just search the one with if, when there is a subjunctive mood..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 13:15
E is correct because, ..if only because.. blah blah blah, is a prepositional phrase (phrase that contains both a preposition and its object) and prepositional phrases can modify either nouns or verbs. In this case is modifying the gerund building..

Do you guys agree??

Keep walking!!
Intern
Intern
Status: Rotterdam Erasmus; McGill Desautels UBC Sauder - Admitted
Schools: ISB, INSEAD, Harvard, Warton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 11:49
IMO (e)
Took some time .. but at the end finally chose the right answer..

Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.
<The intention of the statement is that duplication of facilities should be avoided, and by creating new hospitals we are adding to duplication in bistate

< Vaguely carries out the intention of the statement but the placement of alone is awkward
< "on the basis of" is better option than "on the grounds of"..
<changes the meaning of the statement.. it no more provides an explanation as to why the new hospitals should be built.. Usage of 'solely' also cumbersome..
<changes the meaning of the statement.. it no more provides an explanation as to why the new hospitals should be built..
Correct usage of "if" with the preceding "would".. (subjunctive clause)... since the premises is hypothetical (..'would constitute..'), the conculding statement should also be in the same sense...

-- Because beauty Lies in the Eyes.. So donate those eyes :) :)

KUDOS if like the post ... ;)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 40

Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 21:15
B. is wrong on the grounds that the correct idiom is "on the grounds that" rather than "of"

E. is the only one that makes idiomatic sense while maintaining parallelism, if only because the other options are inherently flawed.
Intern
Intern

Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 20:12
the right answer is E because there is a conditional...would..if
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 07:12
Can someone please explain the meaning of this Sentence ?
Intern
Intern

Re: SC - tough [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 13:02
nifoui wrote:
I understand the explanations around the need for "if" after subjunctive mood, it does make sense. But I really don't get what the "only" is doing in the sentence. To me that sound very awkward... so I guess I didn't understand the meaning of the whole sentence.

anyone can clarify this?

In the original, the phrase "on the basis of....alone" implies that this one reason is a good enough or important enough reason for the proposed action. "If only because...." (Choice E) portrays that same meaning, and is much less awkward.

Also you want to avoid "duplicating" not the "facilities" themselves (which eliminates A-C). Maybe the facilities are very nice. It's not the "facilities" fault that they got duplicated. If someone had avoided doing the action of "duplicating" to begin with, we wouldn't have this problem. :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 18:43
Well, I agree to the explanations for the OA. However, I have a BIG doubt. As far as "if..then" construction is concerned, should we not use would/should in the if structure.
According to MGMAT, pg-112 (SC) and numerable other sources, its stated (quoting MGMAT)
Quote:
The helping verbs would & should should NEVER go in the if part of the sentence, accoring to the GMAT!

Kindly clarify, experts!
Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would   [#permalink] 01 May 2014, 18:43