Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 1

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:49) correct 32% (01:06) wrong based on 204 sessions
Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mochica developed their own elaborat society, based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting other wild and domestic resources.

(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting
(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of
(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of
(D) and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting
(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited

Please explain the solution
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 51

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting->wrong
the three phrases are not parallel
(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of-->correct the three noun phrases are parallel ,please see the bold faced nouns(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of-->parallelism error
(D) and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting--> unnecessary use of the word they and also parallelism error
(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited-->wrong use of the pronoun their and also parallelism error.

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 22:16
saikarthikreddy wrote:
(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting->wrong
(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of-->correct the three noun phrases are parallel ,please see the bold faced nouns(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of-->parallelism error
(D) and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting--> unnecessary use of the word they and also parallelism error
(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited-->wrong use of the pronoun their and also parallelism error.

Hi saikarthikreddy, the cultivation and the harvesting are not in parallel. It should be cultivating & harvesting.
Correct me if I am wrong.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 105 [2] , given: 31

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 02:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
subhajeet wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:

Hi saikarthikreddy, the cultivation and the harvesting are not in parallel. It should be cultivating & harvesting.
Correct me if I am wrong.

based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of

"the harvesting of " - complex gerund
"cultivation" and "exploitation" - action noun

complex gerund and action noun can be parallel.

Hope this helps..!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 04:57
harvesting is used as a noun, it is a gerund. Also every article (a,an,the) must be followed by a NOUN so there you go :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 13:19
I can't point to a specific rule or terminology, but such shouldn't be followed by like when providing examples. It's either "such as" or "like"

"such crops like" - wrong
"such crops as" - correct
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 21:13
Went for B. Great information above, I still can't dissect the answers with specifics though. C D E sounded awkward to me and B had the correct usage of "such crops as".
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 06:33
vikram4689 wrote:
aalba005 wrote:
Went for B. Great information above, I still can't dissect the answers with specifics though. C D E sounded awkward to me and B had the correct usage of "such crops as".

do you have any specific doubt

No, after I read the explainations it was clear why C D and E were incorrect but I still need more practice in this regard.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 07:02
aalba005 wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
aalba005 wrote:

do you have any specific doubt

No, after I read the explainations it was clear why C D and E were incorrect but I still need more practice in this regard.

Great, let us know wherever you have any queries
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.21

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 22:35
Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mochica developed their own elaborat society, based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting other wild and domestic resources.

(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting - > like cant be used for examples and not parallel
(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of -> correct answer
(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of - > like cant be used for examples
(D) and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting- > not parallel
(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited ->not parallel

Hope it helps.
Kudos pls if it helps
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 947 [0], given: 895

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 03:23
Expert's post
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*.
*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

subhajeet wrote:

(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting
(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of
(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of
(D) and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting
(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited

Answer = B

The pattern in the original sentence is based on cultivating.......(verb), the harvesting of.......(Gerund), and exploiting ..........(verb), which is clearly an issue of Parallelism. Moreover this choice uses such crops like which is not idiomatic. The accepted usage is such crops as or crops such as

For the sentence to have parallel structure, we would need 3 things followed by based on, to be noun or something that plays the role of a noun (e.g. Gerund)

A) INCORRECT - for the reasons cited above

B) CORRECT - This choice maintains the parallelism. based on the cultivation of.......(noun phrase), the harvesting of..........(gerund phrase), and the exploitation of.........(noun phrase). Such crops as is idiomatic.

C) INCORRECT - basing it.....(verb), harvesting......(verb), and exploiting of.......(noun)

D) INCORRECT - their has no logical referent.

E) INCORRECT - for the same reason cited in Choice D.

Hope that helps!

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2013, 03:23