Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 00:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:26) correct 67% (01:05) wrong based on 25 sessions
Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mochica developed their own elaborate society, based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting other wild and domestic resources.

A:based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting

B:based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of

C:and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of

D:and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting

E:and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 00:12
(B) :)

A : not parallel (exploiting)
C: and basing (Gerund acting as a verb is wrong)
D : same as A
E : the same ... like is not idiomatic

Last edited by Fig on 15 Sep 2006, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 09:08
B:based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 10:37
A:based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting
... Verb is "based"... so cultivate need to be in noun form and not in the verb form

... Looks okay so keep it.

C:and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of
... trying to make basing, harvesting, exploiting parallel which kills the meaning of the sentence.

D:and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting
... Not parallel...

E:and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited
... Not parallel...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Mochica civilizations [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 20:57
How is "the cultivation" parallel to "harvesting"? Should nt it be cultivating?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

Re: SC-Mochica civilizations [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 23:17
achellappa wrote:
How is "the cultivation" parallel to "harvesting"? Should nt it be cultivating?

Posted from my mobile device Image

The cultivation is parallel to " The harvesting" .Here harvesting acts as a gerund , thus can be used in parallel to Noun (Cultivation) .
I think the easiest way to find out whether -ing forms are used as gerund or not is to check the article preceding it . In this case The follows harvesting so it has to be a gerund
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 39

Re: SC-Mochica civilizations [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 13:00
Is 'basing it on' grammatically correct in choice C?

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager

Re: SC-Mochica civilizations [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 13:02
"cultivation" is parallel to "harvesting" because the noun form of harvest is harvesting (gerund) unlike cultivate, that has a noun form of its own and does not need a gerund.

Manager
Manager

Re: SC-Mochica civilizations [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 13:04
can cultivating act as a gerund too?
In general, do the -ing forms of verbs that that do have noun forms make it a gerund??

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: SC-Mochica civilizations [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 16:29
isn't ACE out cause of like corns and beans. Out of B and D, B is more ||.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -7 [1] , given: 17

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
Referring to Manhattan SC Chapter 4/P56 we know this Idiomatic phrase:

X, Such As Y (example)

I have picked this sentence from OG12 :
evaluate applicants only on their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics.

business courses= X

accounting, marketing, and economics = Y

Makes sense. Now back to the answer choices we can eliminate A, C and E referring "X, Such As Y". But about B answer choice there is "such crops as corn and beans" = "Such X AS Y" is this correct? can we move X and Y? is there any other example of this phrase "Such X AS Y" in OG?

I know about the other problem of answer choice D in parallelism "the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting" that is not correct. But what if we eliminate this part from answer choices? and just please talk about "Such...AS"

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3666 [0], given: 185

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 09:03
Expert's post
omidsa wrote:
Referring to Manhattan SC Chapter 4/P56 we know this Idiomatic phrase:

X, Such As Y (example)

I have picked this sentence from OG12 :
evaluate applicants only on their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics.

business courses= X

accounting, marketing, and economics = Y

Makes sense. Now back to the answer choices we can eliminate A, C and E referring "X, Such As Y". But about B answer choice there is "such crops as corn and beans" = "Such X AS Y" is this correct? can we move X and Y? is there any other example of this phrase "Such X AS Y" in OG?

I know about the other problem of answer choice D in parallelism "the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting" that is not correct. But what if we eliminate this part from answer choices? and just please talk about "Such...AS"

Hi there,

In GMAT, whenever we need to prsent examples, we must use "such as" and not "like". You understand this pasrt ver well, alright.

Now this idiom can be split a seen in this OG sentence. It is absolutely grammatical to say "cultivation of such crops as corn and beans". Yes, the simplest structure is "cultivation of crops such as corn and beans". But even if we say "cultivation of such crops as corn and beans", there is nothing wrong in it because essentially the correct idiom does remain "SUCH AS" that has been used to present examples.

Even if write "evaluate applicants only on their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics" as "evaluate applicants only on their performance in such business courses as accounting, marketing, and economics", it will be absolutely correct. The main thing is that you are using the correct idiom to present correct examples of the correct entity.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 15:54
+1 for B.

Question tests parallelism: harvesting, cultivation, etc.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2012, 15:54