Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 4

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:00) correct 35% (00:58) wrong based on 54 sessions
Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mohica developed their own elaborate society, based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting other wild and domestic resources.

(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting
(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of
(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of
(D) and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploting
(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited

Any one like to answer this ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 12:40
I can't seem to agree with OA and can't seem to find right answer. None of them seem to be right.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 12:58
IMO - B

I think - the question is testing parallelism and B seems to be best answer -

based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 13:10
So, why not A ? Are cultivating, harvesting and exploiting ....not in parallel ?

The second problem problem is with the usage of such crops like. The correct usage should be such crops as, as in answer B.

OA is B.

Trying to understand why A doesn't meet parallelism, more so when OA explains that cultivating, harvesting and exploiting ....are the correct parallel forms for this sentence.

This is from the OG-12 (SC#28).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 11:16
cvinod wrote:
So, why not A ? Are cultivating, harvesting and exploiting ....not in parallel ?

The second problem problem is with the usage of such crops like. The correct usage should be such crops as, as in answer B.

OA is B.

Trying to understand why A doesn't meet parallelism, more so when OA explains that cultivating, harvesting and exploiting ....are the correct parallel forms for this sentence.

This is from the OG-12 (SC#28).

Answer B is correct. A has the word "the" before the word "harvesting". This breaks parallelism.

"based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 22:43
There are three actions here- cultivate, harvest and exploit
either it should be cultivating, harvesting and exploiting (verb forms)
or it should be cultivation of, harvesting of and exploitation of (noun form)
A uses cultivating and exploiting in verb form and harvesting in noun form (by putting an 'of' after it) Hence A is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 01:32
cvinod wrote:
Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mohica developed their own elaborate society, based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting other wild and domestic resources.

(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting
(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of
(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of
(D) and [color=#FF0000]they based it o[/color]n their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploting
(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited

Any one like to answer this ?

By method of elimination i got B.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 21:43
The issue in A --when we have to give example then use such as not like or such ...like..
B is fine
6 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: Q V
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 75 [6] , given: 2

Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
If you really want to apply parallelism to this sentence, you'll need to know a slightly arcane rule about gerunds. Let's lay out some terms first. Gerunds are verbs transformed into nouns by the addition of -ing.

A simple gerund is one that could function as a verb, modifiers and all. In the following sentences, the simple gerund is in bold.
I love skiing.
Skiing is my favorite winter sport.
Skiing through avalanche territory is especially exciting.

Again, the bolded portions above are simple gerunds, because they could serve as verbs in a sentence such as I am skiing, or I am skiing through avalanche country.

A complex gerund is one that could not serve as a verb. I won't list here all the ways to create complex gerunds, but watch out in particular for articles and for of phrases. I'll give you a reference to some additional information below. In the meantime, here is an example of a complex gerund.
The opening of the new shopping mall drew fewer customers than the developers had hoped.
You couldn't say I am opening of...

OK, here's the slightly arcane rule. There are three sorts of nouns: (1) concrete nouns, (2) action nouns and complex gerunds, (3) simple gerunds. No list or other parallel structure can mix these. (It's easy to find perfectly good sentences that violate this rule, but not on the GMAT: this rule applies reliably to GMAT SC.)

Now let's apply that rule here:

Every list means parallelism. Let's see what is being compared in each answer choice, and ask whether the elements are structurally similar and logically comparable.

In A, the list is cultivating..., the harvesting of ..., and exploiting. Cultivating and exploiting are simple gerunds, but the harvesting of is a complex gerund. ELIMINATE.

In B, the list is the cultivation..., the harvesting..., and the exploitation of.... Cultivation is not a gerund at all, but remember that action nouns can be parallel with complex gerunds. So fine.

In C, the list is the cultivation..., harvesting..., and the exploiting of . Harvesting is a simple gerund, while the exploiting of is a complex gerund. ELIMINATE.

In D, the list is their cultivation..., the harvest..., and exploiting of. Similar problem with gerunds and other nouns. ELIMINATE.

In E, the list is their cultivating..., their harvest..., and they exploited. This is the most egregious error. They exploited is a clause, while cultivating and harvest are nouns. ELIMINATE.

That leaves B. If you want the more nuanced account of gerunds I mentioned above, go to 213-215 of the MGMAT SC Strategy Guide.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Last edited by MichaelS on 12 Dec 2012, 00:04, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 07:29
Thanks MichaelS for the fastidious explanation.

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mohica Civilization [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 10:01
Clear B...very nicely explained Michael
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 01:56
-- like cannot introduce examples, hence wrong
hence, we are left with B and D.
Among the two B is the best for ||, and 'based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans' correctly modifies the noun society.
VP
VP
Followers: 209

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 19:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2013, 19:21