Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 03:46
Hi everyone,

First, I just want to thank you all on this forum for sharing so much valuable information!

I just got my Bachelor's degree in Finance. My Overall GPA is 2.66

I am studying for TOEFL right now and I have no doubts that I will take it with a great score since I studied English in high school, lived in the US for a little over 3 years, and I am working at a call center.

I will try to study and take the GMAT by mid November and have the score sent to a number of schools so I can apply by Round 2. Most schools' deadlines for Round 2 is mid December-early January as far I have researched. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Then I plan on studying for the GMAT again, retaking it with hopes for a better score and re-applying for Round 3.

Now I know that the application is a combination of many things. Maybe I can impress with a good essay, but still my GPA and my job experience are the things that worry me. I am 26 now and I have worked as a Lifeguard, Valet, Manager at a fast food restaurant, a Help desk Analyst,Software Support and lastly a Manager at a Financial Advisory Firm. This is not going to impress the top 20 B-Schools, right? Do you guys think if I should even bother applying to them? What schools would you all recommend if say I get a 600-700 score in GMAT which I think is doable for me?

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially from people who were in my position and succeeded in being admitted to a desired school!

Thank you all again!

Regards,
Nick

Last edited by npanushev on 10 Jul 2013, 15:18, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 17:44
npanushev wrote:
Hi everyone,

First, I just want to thank you all on this forum for sharing so much valuable information!

I am studying for TOEFL right now and I have no doubts that I will take it with a great score since I studied English in high school, lived in the US for a little over 3 years, and I am working at a call center.

I will try to study and take the GMAT by mid November and have the score sent to a number of schools so I can apply by Round 2. Most schools' deadlines for Round 2 is mid December-early January as far I have researched. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Then I plan on studying for the GMAT again, retaking it with hopes for a better score and re-applying for Round 3.

Now I know that the application is a combination of many things. Maybe I can impress with a good essay, but still my GPA and my job experience are the things that worry me. I am 26 now and I have worked as a Lifeguard, Valet, Manager at a fast food restaurant and lastly as a Help desk Analyst, Software Support. This is not going to impress the top 20 B-Schools, right? Do you guys think if I should even bother applying to them considering my GPA and not having a solid experience in Management? What schools would you all recommend if say I get a 600-700 score in GMAT which I think is doable for me?

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially from people who were in my position and succeeded in being admitted to a desired school!

Thank you all again!

Regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the top 20 schools will be a far reach given you gpa and work experience (unless there's something significant about you that you haven't mentioned). If you can pull off a 700 on the gmat and write a compelling story, you may have a shot at a top 50. I'd also look at some lower ranked schools like Rutgers in New Jersey which have decent career stats and salaries but are not highly ranked. At this point, I'd focus heavily on the gmat and would spend the time and money on schools you'd be competitive for. What are you looking to do with your mba?
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 19:37
Hi,

You have an average profile but you can make your application strong by working on few things like achievements in your job, GMAT Score. You should also make your contacts with the alumnus of Business Schools you are targeting and based on the requirement you can improve on your extra curricular and GMAT Scores by the time you will apply for MBA.

For online GMAT Preparation you may visithttp://tinyurl.com/cp46f9x

Yes, you are right for most of the US Business School R2 deadline starts from Mid December- early January. I would suggest you instead of applying in R3 you should target applying in R1 and R2 if you are ready to take your GMAT in Oct month. As per your profile and age I would say even if you miss the deadlines of few business schools this time you may apply next year as well as most of the business school see the overall profile along with your GMAT Score and number of work experience. So, by the you will apply for MBA you will have good GMAT Score and a good amount of work experience as well.

You would need to cleverly prepare yourself for questions like the reasons you want to apply for MBA, your rationale behind applying for a specific B school, so on and so forth.

The next step for you is to focus more on your GMAT and application essays, recommendations for these Business Schools.

Please visit http://tinyurl.com/cnpsl4a to see more about online Essay Evaluation and Interview Preparation.

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Cheers!!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 15:17
Ok, first I forgot to mention in my initial post (which I already corrected) that my last position is a Manager at a Financial Advisory Firm. What worries me is not the actual work experience I have but the fact that the schools will take into account to a big degree the fact that it took me 7 years to complete my Bachelor's and I obviously worked throughout it, even though as a Manager in the field in which I was studying. I guess I should have provided in the initial post a more detailed explanation as to why my work experience worries me. Or should I not be worried that I worked during my Bachelor's? But how can I not be considering that it was the reason my GPA is so low.. Anyways, no point of looking back, I did not have the finances to support myself anyway so I had to work. I will describe that situation in the essay.

*** I did the same mistake in another forum. Anyways, I corrected my initial post.

Apparently I can apply to a school providing my immediate (not final) GMAT result that I will get right after the exam. The final result is sent to the school 20 days after the test. So that means that if the deadline for Round 2 for a specific school is Dec 12th, I can take the GMAT on Dec 10th and be good if all my other stuff for the application is good.

I was thinking of getting two recommendations, one from another Manager at the Fin.Adv. Firm and another from a Professor at the University I attended... But I was just advised that it's not a good idea to have a Professor write a recommendation for you if you have work experience, so I guess I will skip on that one.

Taking the TOEFL on August 10th which seems to be very easy, judging from the Practice Tests I did without any prep.

I am dedicating myself to the GMAT prep and the essay from now on until early Dec! Wish me luck!

Thank you for your time old1442 and Neha!

Regards,
Nick
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 08-19-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 02:48
npanushev wrote:
Hi everyone,

Now I know that the application is a combination of many things. Maybe I can impress with a good essay, but still my GPA and my job experience are the things that worry me. I am 26 now and I have worked as a Lifeguard, Valet, Manager at a fast food restaurant, a Help desk Analyst,Software Support and lastly a Manager at a Financial Advisory Firm. This is not going to impress the top 20 B-Schools, right? Do you guys think if I should even bother applying to them? What schools would you all recommend if say I get a 600-700 score in GMAT which I think is doable for me?

Thank you all again!

Regards,
Nick

Hi,

According to me it would be very difficult for you to crack any of the top 25 b schools with ur professional experience. If u can pen down some outstanding business skills and other qualities with an impressive GMAT score of above 730 or 740+ then it would be possible for the admission committee to add more weightage for ur application.
Intern
Intern

Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 11:03
I should probably try to retake the classes on which I had Ds and Cs, sign up for community work and apply in 2014.. I wish I would not have to waste a year, but maybe it will not be a waste.. We will see.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 16:01
npanushev wrote:
I should probably try to retake the classes on which I had Ds and Cs, sign up for community work and apply in 2014.. I wish I would not have to waste a year, but maybe it will not be a waste.. We will see.

The second post here top-state-finance-schools-in-us-154859.html will also be helpful for you. highwyre237 mentions a few more schools with good bank for the buck and only moderate stats.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 03:16
It seems I calculated my GPA incorrectly. It is 3.36, not 2.66. Well good thing I payed for that iGPA calculator at wes org ! :)

That raises my chances significantly!
Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2013, 03:16