Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bummed on Kaplan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Bummed on Kaplan [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2006, 15:09
Just recovering from a disaster on Kaplan, 590 on CAT 1. It almost makes me feel I need a century to do something about verbal. My quant is under control but Verbal just kills me.

I know people say that Kaplan is generally tougher. But what material can I use to improve Verbal. I have only 20 days before my exam and don't think I can postpone it!

Any one who managed a similar situation lemme know whats the best way to work around Verbal!

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2006, 15:11
Thats an excellent score. Kaplan scores are not representive of the real score.

First time on Kaplan I got 550!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2006, 15:48
I would actually go further. Kaplan isn't tougher, it's simply not indicative of the real test.

I would heartily suggest not wasting your time with Kaplan. Their questions are set up differently than those appearing in the OG & GMATprep, and I really think that practicing the Kaplan questions do not help.

I would suggest going to the OG, GMATprep, and the old paper tests. It's true that many of the questions on the paper tests are easier, but their main value is that their set-up and reasoning are just like the real thing (actually they were the real thing in their day).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 04:15
I wouldn't worry about Kap verbal. Kap math is pretty decent although GMAT Prep and OG are better
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 18:54
I agree with the others...do not use Kaplan for verbal. Princeton Review is much more accurate, and of course so is GMATPrep.
Intern
Intern

Re: Bummed on Kaplan [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 04:21
2times wrote:
Just recovering from a disaster on Kaplan, 590 on CAT 1. It almost makes me feel I need a century to do something about verbal. My quant is under control but Verbal just kills me.

I know people say that Kaplan is generally tougher. But what material can I use to improve Verbal. I have only 20 days before my exam and don't think I can postpone it!

Any one who managed a similar situation lemme know whats the best way to work around Verbal!

Thanks.

hi there , the first test i took on the kaplan 2007 premier ed (full-length in the book itself) scored 590 , feeling the same way as you buddy, the only exception is i scored high on the verbal and very low on quant.
For verbal i would suggest for SC get a wren and martin and skim through it for a couple of days really helps on the SC. For RCs you just have to keep practising. While for the CRs try to build a general understanding of the topic and try to form an answer to the qestions before looking at the options, works well.
Can you give me some tips on quant, my DS section is below avg and causing a major problem.

regrds
Intern
Intern

Re: Bummed on Kaplan [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 16:07
2times wrote:

Thanks.

I've done 3 Kaplan CATs, and I think the scores are definitely skewed... Take a GMATprep test or 2 to restore your confidence.
Re: Bummed on Kaplan   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2006, 16:07